5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New midsize talks

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would have to agree with @alacombe. They aren't really a smaller truck anymore. Just a squashed less capable truck.

Unless you have a serious need for a smaller truck, garage space, the extra mpg (which isn't going to be much), then just get the Ram. The reason the Dakota died was the Ram ended up being the better deal.

But that said, if the metric ton truck comes and it is sized like the Ole Ram 50...that might be a thought.

Just my opinion.

I would say for engines transmissions just watch for the Jeep truck and notice what the wrangler has.

Looks like the 2.0T is working well in the cherokee, so there will be that. The V6 has been well recieved in the Cherokee and Wrangler, so there is that one

Hope it gets the manual, that would make it inreresting.

danstoys2001

Reaction score
The Dakota was an over built truck half ton drive train mine has the 392 pulls great !! I would like a 3.6 with speed and in Quad Cab off road 4x4

Rustydodge

Reaction score
1/2 tons have become so big and capable that they are the 3/4 tons of a decade ago. I think this has opened up space for midsize to become the 1/2 ton of a decade ago. Currently though they arent much cheaper, dont get much better MPG, and the interiors are too small, but if you dont need to tow over 6k pounds and not haul much they are good option.

The dakota died due to redesign IMO. I had a 2001 with the 4.7 which i liked very much until i needed more truck. I think Ram has missed an opurtunity with a nicely designed midsize that has the 3.6 or optional derated hemi like in the durango/jeep grand cherokee. Of coure they'd have to be able to manufacture it somewhere and have more capacity to build more hemis.

The Jeep pickup will be good but will come with a jeep price tag and tiny rear crew cab space.

John813

Reaction score
I think the midsize has the right size for the offroad variants.
Outside of that, the price, lower payload and less horsepower/torque doesn't make me too interested in them. IMO higher trimed Colorados and the TRD Taco look the best. Not sold on the Ranger looks wise.

While I love the Raptors, I found both of mine (supercab/screw) to be too big for most trails and outside of select places there wasn't much in Florida that can push a raptor to it's limits(safely anyways).

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1/2 tons have become so big and capable that they are the 3/4 tons of a decade ago. I think this has opened up space for midsize to become the 1/2 ton of a decade ago. Currently though they arent much cheaper, dont get much better MPG, and the interiors are too small, but if you dont need to tow over 6k pounds and not haul much they are good option.

The dakota died due to redesign IMO. I had a 2001 with the 4.7 which i liked very much until i needed more truck. I think Ram has missed an opurtunity with a nicely designed midsize that has the 3.6 or optional derated hemi like in the durango/jeep grand cherokee. Of coure they'd have to be able to manufacture it somewhere and have more capacity to build more hemis.

The Jeep pickup will be good but will come with a jeep price tag and tiny rear crew cab space.
I was always confused on why buy the mid size when its the same price and MPG as the full size truck

Users who are viewing this thread