5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new member sad story........

d19r93

Reaction score
I can say that of all the things I've been worried about going bad on this truck, the transmission is at the bottom of the list. I had the front floor board leak, the rear window leak, that's it. Otherwise, not one single issue with the truck. I have definitely accidentally hit the Gear Select "-" button when turning before, and I thought I had lost the transmission... until I looked next to the "D" on the dash and saw the "2" next to the 2 (I have the transmission gear shown in my cluster) and that made me so happy. Hopefully it's something simple. I agree - too coincedental.

Where are you from? You say the Ozarks, that's a big range :) Just curious what part of the Ozarks you're in.

CaptCrunch

Reaction score
absolutely not touching the gear limit switch. The trans shifts perfectly after + hit until back in (8) drive.........they want me to shoot a video of it......that should be interesting.............one hand shooting a video while I frantically hit the + and steer with my feet........I just wish one of their software guys would look into it........love the truck.....there's a semi stupid video of a guy on youtube filming it happening..........and also a thread on here of some people with the same problem........it's not just me.......
I can say that of all the things I've been worried about going bad on this truck, the transmission is at the bottom of the list. I had the front floor board leak, the rear window leak, that's it. Otherwise, not one single issue with the truck. I have definitely accidentally hit the Gear Select "-" button when turning before, and I thought I had lost the transmission... until I looked next to the "D" on the dash and saw the "2" next to the 2 (I have the transmission gear shown in my cluster) and that made me so happy. Hopefully it's something simple. I agree - too coincedental.

Where are you from? You say the Ozarks, that's a big range :) Just curious what part of the Ozarks you're in.
Heber Springs on the Little Red River tailwater..........

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
absolutely not touching the gear limit switch. The trans shifts perfectly after + hit until back in (8) drive.........they want me to shoot a video of it......that should be interesting.............one hand shooting a video while I frantically hit the + and steer with my feet........I just wish one of their software guys would look into it........love the truck.....there's a semi stupid video of a guy on youtube filming it happening..........and also a thread on here of some people with the same problem........it's not just me.......

Tell them to put a flight recorder in it. It's not on you to record and put yourself in jeopardy by recording a video while driving

d19r93

Reaction score

I guess I haven't heard of that issue. I'd say have them drive with you and see if you can reproduce with the warranty manager/service manager. I'd agree with the others that it's not on you to record the video of the issue happening. Bring someone along with you and record if you absolutely are the only one that can get it to reproduce.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I guess I haven't heard of that issue. I'd say have them drive with you and see if you can reproduce with the warranty manager/service manager. I'd agree with the others that it's not on you to record the video of the issue happening. Bring someone along with you and record if you absolutely are the only one that can get it to reproduce.
Why don't you think it's on him to record the video? If the tech can't get it to happen they'll just claim that they can't reproduce it. I would think it's in the OP's best interest to record it.

d19r93

Reaction score
Why don't you think it's on him to record the video? If the tech can't get it to happen they'll just claim that they can't reproduce it. I would think it's in the OP's best interest to record it.
Poorly-worded, my apologies. I do think that it should be up to the customer to record the video, but having the driver record while driving is unsafe. My last sentence explained that, but I should have worded it better.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Flight recorder does both. Alot safer and records all the data needed.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have someone ride along and shoot the video while you drive.
Dealers don't care about video. Send it to the NHSTA. They do care and act on evidence. But it needs to be safety related somehow.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Video is at least evidence that there is a problem. They can't deny that, and it can help with a lemon law claim.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a half dozen videos on here of etorque stalling dead on the road driving and precisely 0 got anywhere with a dealer or a fix.

send in your videos as evidence to the NHSTA.

They do take the reports seriously.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a half dozen videos on here of etorque stalling dead on the road driving and precisely 0 got anywhere with a dealer or a fix.

send in your videos as evidence to the NHSTA.

They do take the reports seriously.

Thanks for blowing up a NON etorque thread. Lame

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Please don't take this wrong. But the same driver getting two trucks with the same bizarro issue sounds like more than a coincidence.
Is there something you're doing that could be causing this? Are you going offroad and possibly getting something knocked loose?
Are you power washing the engine bay or underside and getting water forced up into a connector meant to stay dry? Are you somehow mashing the minus button and locking it into first gear by holding the bottom of the wheel when you drive?

Its just such a strange symptom that it really seems like it could have an easy answer.

Again, no offense intended, just trying to see if there's something unique to how you're operating the truck.
I have seen very similar problems posted by OP all over these fourms...
You are not wrong in your troubleshooting,...but I have to play the devil's advocate and ask who are these dealer and manufacture technicians that would let a truck get go all the way through the lemon law buyback process without checking the gear limit selector.
Exactly. Why would ram buy back a vehicle and lose money unless there was a legal reason to do so\the problem actually exists. If Ram could they would want to stick the vehicle to the owner and make them trade it in as used and I know other people from other car makes have been stuck with "lemons" that would never pass the local lemon law and the manufacture would tell them to go pound sand.
OP didn't say he DIDN'T have an eTorque for what it's worth.
I recall seeing a problem with something saying "shift to park" and that happened on eTorque and non-eTorque motors. Could be a variation on that problem.

To answer OP's first question I wouldn't order a third ram. You had 2 rams that sucked, my ram is fine so far (only 2k miles) but if I had TWO vehicles with similar problems new I would never buy from that manufacture again regardless of other peoples luck.
I don't care about other people I care about myself, that also the reason I will not buy any GM or Ford vehicle anymore.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP didn't say he DIDN'T have an eTorque for what it's worth.
I recall seeing a problem with something saying "shift to park" and that happened on eTorque and non-eTorque motors. Could be a variation on that problem.
For what it's worth, it's a trans concern nothing to do with eTorque.
But I once saw a BMW with a ZF trans roll over..... its all the same.

CaptCrunch

Reaction score
no e-torque on either truck.......and I would not buy a Ford or GM product either.........there are great trucks despite some problems............

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
no e-torque on either truck.......and I would not buy a Ford or GM product either.........there are great trucks despite some problems............
How about a Toyota?
They are def not as nice on the inside but seem to last a long while.
It's your money but if it was mine I wouldn't be buying a third ram

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How about a Toyota?
They are def not as nice on the inside but seem to last a long while.
It's your money but if it was mine I wouldn't be buying a third ram
Why don't you go buy a Toyota, please

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why don't you stop trolling the forums and leave.
You have done NOTHING to this thread except complain about other people's post and added nothing, let alone anything of value.

Trolling? How about ask the dealership to install a flight recorder, this device can capture all the data needed for the owners concern. Or rather than say go buy brand x, give useful technical help. You must have a rational thought on the problem.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why bother using a forum if you don't want to know how to get things fixed? Just go find a echo chamber on facebook to your liking so you can beat off to how great ram is or whatever you feel like shilling here..

Lame.

Users who are viewing this thread