5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member - picking a trim to buy.

Borsig

Reaction score
He’d like a Rebel bur as others have said a BH off road or a Laramie is fine too. Price could sway him to a BH but he gets better offroad characteristics with the Rebel I believe. (Though his list of wants is uncommon for a BH).

I just dont see diesel as a good sand truck myself...
Why do you say that? The front end of the eco-d is lighter, and more nimble and the TQ is fine.

my current sand vehicle is a 2018 outback 3.6R with a 2" lift. It does GREAT in even the sugar. I love it's capability but I absolutely HATE that car. HATE. the audio sucks, the heated seats are so weak they barely heat up, the passenger door has some wierd problem where it sounds hollow, and like it's falling off, it dings INCESSANTLY, and generally has been a wandering, lane drifting POS ever since I owned it new. The "nanny" fetaures on it are damn near insufferable. But it's capability is great.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well you’d better never run marked diesel, its a huge fine and takes a loonngg time to wash out.

i can’t fault your fuel price payback logic its the maintenance and additive costs as well as the new administrations open hostility to diesel that would worry me.

Without a regular long commute or a heavy towing schedule, I wouldn't go that route personally. To each his own though.

I had a Ford Ranger back in the 1990’s and a Eastern Wa state cop stopped me and “sticked” the tank checking for marked gas... It never happened again but in farm country it happens...

I cannot speak to the accuracy of this quite however: “Whether it is Washington, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Alabama, or other states, the fine for illegal use of dyed diesel is $10/gallon or $1,000 per violation (a tank with red diesel), whichever is greater. For instance, if 20 gallons of such fuel are revealed in your tank, the fine will be $1,000. Two such tanks will make it double.”

I would run that risk...🤔

Borsig

Reaction score
Well you’d better never run marked diesel, its a huge fine and takes a loonngg time to wash out.

i can’t fault your fuel price payback logic its the maintenance and additive costs as well as the new administrations open hostility to diesel that would worry me.

Without a regular long commute or a heavy towing schedule, I wouldn't go that route personally. To each his own though.

I had a Ford Ranger back in the 1990’s and a Eastern Wa state cop stopped me and “sticked” the tank checking for marked gas... It never happened again but in farm country it happens...

I cannot speak to the accuracy of this quite however: “Whether it is Washington, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Alabama, or other states, the fine for illegal use of dyed diesel is $10/gallon or $1,000 per violation (a tank with red diesel), whichever is greater. For instance, if 20 gallons of such fuel are revealed in your tank, the fine will be $1,000. Two such tanks will make it double.”

I would run that risk...🤔
It's legal to run here during any "state of emergency". Like.... Hurricanes, which happen here every so often.

It's not something I'd do regularly, but having the ability to fill a 33 gallon tank with it, when gas is all but gone, because stations are empty, and the only thing you can find is diesel / off road diesel, does figure into the overall equation, all be it, in a small factor. That DID happen about 5 years ago. I ran farm diesel in my TDI for 2 weeks. Perfectly legal. It is, however only .30 cents a gallon cheaper, so it's not like you're saving much. Its more of an emergency use thing.

I've never seen a 1500 truck or a car stuck here, and never heard of it. I'm sure it happens though, but our laws on legality of running it in a SOE, and the time it takes to get rid of the dye, makes it somewhat more ambiguous. Hell, there was an SOE here for corona. Our idiot governor declares a SOE every time he soils his diaper.

This is a minor thing though, and a sidebar consideration for emergency use only.

My only real consideration for running the diesel is savings over time on fuel economy, and the ability to extend range with a 33 gallon tank. The range part is easy. The cost, not so much. I only found a handful of diesels on rebels in the entire country. I can barely find one near me to even test drive.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
It's legal to run here during any "state of emergency". Like.... Hurricanes, which happen here every so often.

It's not something I'd do regularly, but having the ability to fill a 33 gallon tank with it, when gas is all but gone, because stations are empty, and the only thing you can find is diesel / off road diesel, does figure into the overall equation, all be it, in a small factor. That DID happen about 5 years ago. I ran farm diesel in my TDI for 2 weeks. Perfectly legal. It is, however only .30 cents a gallon cheaper, so it's not like you're saving much. Its more of an emergency use thing.

I've never seen a 1500 truck or a car stuck here, and never heard of it. I'm sure it happens though, but our laws on legality of running it in a SOE, and the time it takes to get rid of the dye, makes it somewhat more ambiguous. Hell, there was an SOE here for corona. Our idiot governor declares a SOE every time he soils his diaper.

This is a minor thing though, and a sidebar consideration for emergency use only.

My only real consideration for running the diesel is savings over time on fuel economy, and the ability to extend range with a 33 gallon tank. The range part is easy. The cost, not so much. I only found a handful of diesels on rebels in the entire country. I can barely find one near me to even test drive.
I get the fuel thing. Just a warning but you are aware.
As far as diesel Rebel availability, thats the bigger headache. As soon as a dealer smells that you want a diesel and he knows they are in short supply, there goes your negotiation position. So from an availability and price standpoint, id be looking at an ET hemi. Lots of those around.
Or, just another reason to order new.

Years ago I bought my first Jeep GC, the last of the full sized ones. 99% of them were automatic, I wanted the stick 4 speed. I found one and guess what idiot paid over msrp? 🤔😮🙄

Sometimes ya just gotta’ consider pricing.

Borsig

Reaction score
I get the fuel thing. Just a warning but you are aware.
As far as diesel Rebel availability, thats the bigger headache. As soon as a dealer smells that you want a diesel and he knows they are in short supply, there goes your negotiation position. So from an availability and price standpoint, id be looking at an ET hemi. Lots of those around.
Or, just another reason to order new.

Years ago I bought my first Jeep GC, the last of the full sized ones. 99% of them were automatic, I wanted the stick 4 speed. I found one and guess what idiot paid over msrp? 🤔😮🙄

Sometimes ya just gotta’ consider pricing.
Im staring to lean hemi now. The DEF consumption is sort of high, (3%) and the DEF system is only warrantied for 3/36 instead of 8/80K or 100K. Yeah, def heaters and def systems break. In fact you WILL fix it within 5-6 years almost a given. Every DEF tank I have ever had has broken. (VW's)

Like I said, the fed gov't does everything they can do to discourage diesel. The emissions system is a big money pit. Shame. A 25mpg diesel 4x4 with a 750 - 800 mile range would make a great vehicle to bug out in.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Im staring to lean hemi now. The DEF consumption is sort of high, (3%) and the DEF system is only warrantied for 3/36 instead of 8/80K or 100K. Yeah, def heaters and def systems break. In fact you WILL fix it within 5-6 years almost a given. Every DEF tank I have ever had has broken. (VW's)

Like I said, the fed gov't does everything they can do to discourage diesel. The emissions system is a big money pit. Shame. A 25mpg diesel 4x4 with a 750 - 800 mile range would make a great vehicle to bug out in.
Well that decision will make your purchase options much better. Check Kernersville RAM as they are a large dealer in NC. Some other NC buyer said he got a good deal in Charlotte but I dont temember from who.
Otherwise Mark Dodge in La has been very well rated on the forum recently.

Best of luck on your choices.

Borsig

Reaction score
Well that decision will make your purchase options much better. Check Kernersville RAM as they are a large dealer in NC. Some other NC buyer said he got a good deal in Charlotte but I dont temember from who.
Otherwise Mark Dodge in La has been very well rated on the forum recently.

Best of luck on your choices.
I used to live in Charlotte, I know where K-ville is. I can go from there to MD / NoVA. As insufferable as NoVA and MD are. I did get my outback in waldorf and those dealers there love to cut each other's throats. The NoVA MD area has been where I buy most of my cars. MD doc fees are limited by law, and VA dealers seem to be a lot higher.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have been keeping close track of my trucks DEF consumption, in the summer, 985 miles per US gallon, in the winter in Northern Ontario Canada, with a lot of warm up idling, my truck was getting 826 miles per US gallon of DEF.

I don’t know if you intend to fill up with the recommended mid grade 89 octane gas for the Hemi. A gallon of gas might be more expensive than a gallon of diesel in your area.

The cost here in Canada for the eco diesel was $3900 above the Hemi, but there was a manufacturer discount of $2500 for the diesel so a difference of only $1400. Diesel fuel in my home town is cheaper than gasoline so the decision was easier for me to order the ecodiesel.

bman77

Reaction score
Reading through your list of wants and must haves, I would say you are looking for a Laramie with the ORG and all of those options that you want. When the Rebel first debuted it had options that were only on the Rebel and over the years everything but the front skid plate have been placed in packages for the other trim levels, so the Rebel contains nothing special other than badging, shocks, seats, grill and the front skid plate. That may be why when you try comparing the Laramie to the Rebel you can't find the differences.

The Laramie will gain you some things that can not be had in the Rebel like vented seats and reclining rear seats. Also, you said you hate cloth and the Rebels all have a cloth middle insert regardless of which interior you choose. Personally if you get a Laramie with the ORG, sport appearance package, max tow group and night edition you have a Rebel, it just will say Laramie.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reading through your list of wants and must haves, I would say you are looking for a Laramie with the ORG and all of those options that you want. When the Rebel first debuted it had options that were only on the Rebel and over the years everything but the front skid plate have been placed in packages for the other trim levels, so the Rebel contains nothing special other than badging, shocks, seats, grill and the front skid plate. That may be why when you try comparing the Laramie to the Rebel you can't find the differences.

The Laramie will gain you some things that can not be had in the Rebel like vented seats and reclining rear seats. Also, you said you hate cloth and the Rebels all have a cloth middle insert regardless of which interior you choose. Personally if you get a Laramie with the ORG, sport appearance package, max tow group and night edition you have a Rebel, it just will say Laramie.
Just to clarify, my Rebel has all leather seats, no cloth inserts.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me figure out what the rebel gives other than "rebel" being put on things.

It also seems to be difficult to get something other than cloth on the big horn. The only trim I see that has vinyl / not cloth is the built to serve, and that only comes In red, green, and a steel blue that I can seee
You also get Bilstein shocks and E-rated tires A/T. Other than that, a Laramie or Big Horn with the ORG is just as capable as a Rebel.

This.

You need to go new order or get a Rebel. Your uncompromising list is too specific. Even with a Rebel finding one with the moon roof will be tough, used or on the lot new.

For Laramie you would also need Level 2 equipment group.

With any Big Horn you would need to add leather aftermarket for about $1800.

If the 12" is a must, I would order a 2022 later this calendar year in late September or early October (delivery would be 2021 srill) with Uconnect5. I would worry about support for Uconnect4 especially in the 12 inch screen.

If you want to keep it 10 years avoid etorque, long term reliability still unknown.

Make sure you are aware of gas tank size, many crew cabs only have 23 gallon. A few have 26.
33 gallon is a $450 or so option.

Look at the How to Get Best Price thread linked in red above.
I've seen quite a few Rebels with sunroofs in my area. But I doubt the OP will be wanting to travel across the country to look at them LOL.

Unless I missed something, there has been no official word that 2022's will have uconnect5. As far as I know it's hope and speculation. I heard the same thing about 2021's before they came out. Not sure why they are delaying the implimentation of it in the 1500's, but I wouldn't bet either way whether or not 2022 models will have it.

Great advice on the fuel tank. My 23 gallon tank gives me a range of just over 300 miles. I wouldn't have bought this truck if I had known that's what it came with. It wasn't listed on the window sticker.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
You also get Bilstein shocks and E-rated tires A/T. Other than that, a Laramie or Big Horn with the ORG is just as capable as a Rebel.

I've seen quite a few Rebels with sunroofs in my area. But I doubt the OP will be wanting to travel across the country to look at them LOL.

Unless I missed something, there has been no official word that 2022's will have uconnect5. As far as I know it's hope and speculation. I heard the same thing about 2021's before they came out. Not sure why they are delaying the implimentation of it in the 1500's, but I wouldn't bet either way whether or not 2022 models will have it.

Great advice on the fuel tank. My 23 gallon tank gives me a range of just over 300 miles. I wouldn't have bought this truck if I had known that's what it came with. It wasn't listed on the window sticker.
Theres a whole (current) thread on the 33 gallon tank upgrade in case you want to think about that route...

4x4Laramie

Reaction score
I got the Laramie with the Off-Road Group. Been happy with it, and it is very capable.

I sometimes fear I regret not getting the rebel, but honestly it's mostly the front end appearance that is different (and the Rebel name)

Borsig

Reaction score
Rebel also gives a 1" lift.

Isn't the "cloth" in the rebel some sort of vinyl overlay thing ala the built to serve? I'd be OK with that too.

I did NOT know the Hemi had to have 89. 89 is expensive here, way more than diesel. Requiring 89 or premium will be a deal breaker for me. I'm not paying 30-40 cents a gallon more to fill up something that gets 16 MPG or less in the first place.

More research time. I never knew the stupid thing needed 89.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Well I was all over the place the last 4 weeks. Went from a Laramie w/ORG to a Rebel and then even down to a Big Horn at one point and then all the way up to a limited for a brief period. I ultimately went with the Rebel. Like someone else mentioned if you don't factory build your own make sure you look out for the fuel tank for the trucks on dealer lots. The dealers here put 23 gallon tanks on their Rebels. I think it's one of the dumbest things to do unless you never plan on travelling outside a city. 23 gallons isn't getting you anywhere in my opinion.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The HEMI doesn't HAVE to have 89, but it will run better on it.

My Rebel has basically everything you want in yours. My list was very similar to yours. I didn't care about Rambox or MFT, I got a pano roof, but it was more for my wife than me. 12" screen, heated seats, hate hate HATE chrome, only ever planned on putting a 2" spacer/shocks up front. Sometimes wish I had spent more time looking at Laramies with the ORG for the vented seats, but at the end of the day my Rebel looks a lot better (in my opinion which is all that counts for my truck) than my friend's Laramie with ORG.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
The HEMI doesn't HAVE to have 89, but it will run better on it.

My Rebel has basically everything you want in yours. My list was very similar to yours. I didn't care about Rambox or MFT, I got a pano roof, but it was more for my wife than me. 12" screen, heated seats, hate hate HATE chrome, only ever planned on putting a 2" spacer/shocks up front. Sometimes wish I had spent more time looking at Laramies with the ORG for the vented seats, but at the end of the day my Rebel looks a lot better (in my opinion which is all that counts for my truck) than my friend's Laramie with ORG.
What makes 89 run better? What are you noticing is different? MPGs?

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Rebel also gives a 1" lift.

Isn't the "cloth" in the rebel some sort of vinyl overlay thing ala the built to serve? I'd be OK with that too.

I did NOT know the Hemi had to have 89. 89 is expensive here, way more than diesel. Requiring 89 or premium will be a deal breaker for me. I'm not paying 30-40 cents a gallon more to fill up something that gets 16 MPG or less in the first place.

More research time. I never knew the stupid thing needed 89.
I added the Rebel 12A package which automatically gave me leather. Didn't go with the Rebel 12 because I didn't want the HK sound system. Leather was an absolute must for me. I went with the Rebel because I swore my next truck I would keep stock, so in order to get the look I wanted the Rebel was the way I needed to go. It already has the Bilstein shocks, I can live with the 33" tires. I wanted 18" wheels. The Laramie automatically came with 20" wheels which I hated. The night edition was also a must for me. I'm no longer a guy that likes all that chrome. My wife hated the suede sewn in the leather on the Laramies. She liked the Rebel interior and the exterior better as well.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What makes 89 run better? What are you noticing is different? MPGs?
The manual recommends it, and it is stated in the manual that if you run on 87 and you hear pinging that you should run on 89. I get 93 at Costco cheaper than 87 at most other gas stations so I just run 93 almost all the time. I use 89 if I fill up elsewhere. I haven't noticed a difference in MPGs, maybe a slight difference in performance.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
The manual recommends it, and it is stated in the manual that if you run on 87 and you hear pinging that you should run on 89. I get 93 at Costco cheaper than 87 at most other gas stations so I just run 93 almost all the time. I use 89 if I fill up elsewhere. I haven't noticed a difference in MPGs, maybe a slight difference in performance.
Damn that's interesting. I didn't realize 89 was preferred, thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread