5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member - picking a trim to buy.

Borsig

Reaction score
I'm starting to look at other trims too, but I don't like cloth, period. 45K truck with cloth. What a joke.

They make it real hard to get fake leather in these outside of the rebel. I could care less about leather. I don't want cloth. Dogs and cloth don't really mix.

Im starting to lean diesel again. Diesel and 33 gallon tank = 800+ mile range. I need to save more for a DP if I go diesel.

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
Members on here have gotten Katzkin leather seats installed aftermarket and I they look pretty impressive. If you can save thousands by ordering a big horn night edition with upgraded headlights and ORG , might be worth it for you to go the aftermarket route. Bighorns usually have better programs as far as incentives go .
Search Katzkin on the old threads

Borsig

Reaction score
The damn built to serve editon big horns are perfect. But they seem impossible to get the way you want.

Built to serve, 12", sunroof , diesel, 33G tank, level 2 big horn. Aftermarket 2" lift. Done. If I could get that in ceramic grey that would be it. I can't stand any of the BTS colors unfortunately.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Rebel also gives a 1" lift.

Isn't the "cloth" in the rebel some sort of vinyl overlay thing ala the built to serve? I'd be OK with that too.

I did NOT know the Hemi had to have 89. 89 is expensive here, way more than diesel. Requiring 89 or premium will be a deal breaker for me. I'm not paying 30-40 cents a gallon more to fill up something that gets 16 MPG or less in the first place.

More research time. I never knew the stupid thing needed 89.
You get the same 1" lift on other trim levels with the ORG that the Rebel gets. The tires on the Rebel are 33's, versus 32's you get with the ORG, so the Rebel will theoretically sit 1/2" higher than say a Laramie with the ORG. Some of these trucks have more than that much difference from one side to the other.

The standard Rebel seats are vinyl and cloth, but you can get leather. Siince you're talking about getting the Rebel 12 package, leather seats are included. with that package. Keep in mind that the Laramie seats are only leather trimmed. The exact amount of leather that's in them has been debated, but at least there is no cloth in them.

89 octane is recommended for the Hemi. But plenty of us have been running 87 octane for months or years with no issues. Keep in mind that 89 octane is actually a blend of 87 and 91 octane gas. And it's not always an even 50/50 split, so beware.

Hthoang

Reaction score
After doing much research for the last year, and letting the new 2019-20's get some time and reviews on them, it seems the Ram 1500 will be what I am looking to get sometime this year, either sooner or later. I've yet to hear many bad things.

I've not driven one, since 2019 but I did like it then.

Have not decided new or used, could go either way, but the price of new trucks does leave a foul taste in my mouth, and there's no way I will pay MSRP under any circumstance.

I've got in mind what I want for this truck, it's not for work but more for off road and surf fishing on sand beaches on the OBX, hauling things, and as a "nice SUV with a bed". I will never own a boat, and doubt I'll ever own a camper, but I may tow a trailer in the future if we move and need to haul things. Also my mother lives across the state and I will at some point probably have to trailer things and would like the capability, though it will not be often. It will also be used as our bug out vehicle should we have to dodge a hurricane, or other non natural disaster, so I need the bed capacity for important things. It will also be used sometimes for road trips.

That being said, this might be the last nice vehicle I buy for 10+ years, so I'd like it to be right, and I am not really that flexible on my "must haves". Hell, I could be dead in 10 years.

4x4 off road trim is a must, and I am strongly leaning toward the Rebel because of this. Locker, 4x4, and the lift / skids are appealing.
The 12" screen with Nav is another must. IMO this makes the truck interior.
The pano sunroof is another must. I've come to like these things, and it's part of what drew me to the Ram in the first place. I know it's an "uncommon" feature.
Heated seats are another non negotiable point. Leather is not a huge concern, but I do like it - however I'm not sure cloth is acceptable given how hard it is to clean with dogs, fishing and dirt. I don't like cloth seats really, but I've seen some very nice vinyl. Fake leather / vinyl would be OK, and I think the "built to serve" models may employ this but I've never seen it?
LED headlamps / fogs are another must have. I do a LOT of rural night driving and LED headlamps are a non negotiable for me on a vehicle at this price point.

When It comes to appearance, I absolutely hate chrome. SO any of the big chrome wheels and grilles are out. Not my thing at all.

Granite grey is my fav color. I also like ceramic. I don't like the steel grey.

Thoughts - what are you getting on the rebel vs the big horn with the off road / built to serve editions with off road kits? Just the 1" lift? I mean a 3" lift can be had for several hundred dollars.

Also trying to research the diesel v gas thing. NO one around here even has a diesel to drive. I'd be buying the diesel on fuel savings alone (and warranty)

Thoughts? Thanks!
Not sure if you feel like traveling but look for a Southwest Edition. It's a Laramie with ORP, LED headlights, color matched bumpers, pano sunroof and 12" screen. I was thinking Rebel, too, but preferred the classier look of the Southwest Package.

Borsig

Reaction score
Im starting to research a big horn outfitting with the idea of katzkins in mind.
I have seen musings of these being available from the dealer for under 1500, but I've not found solid evidence of this. There is so much value in the BTS edition that its REALLY frustrating that you can't order it in a color you want.

I do like the rebel more, but the 392 gears, and increased price for much of the same as the BTS are kind of a turn off.

Smashius

Reaction score
Get the Rebel it’s awesome! You won’t regret it.

Sounds like a Rebel is what you want.
A Laramie with the ORG might work too.

This.

You need to go new order or get a Rebel.

Rebel 12 sounds like it fits what you are looking for

Rebel seems to be the best bang for the buck on what your looking for ...

+6 to a Rebel.

I have everything on your list in mine, sans the 12, cause I didn't want/care about it.

I did NOT know the Hemi had to have 89. 89 is expensive here, way more than diesel. Requiring 89 or premium will be a deal breaker for me. I'm not paying 30-40 cents a gallon more to fill up something that gets 16 MPG or less in the first place.
You can run 87 just fine, many do.

Borsig

Reaction score
+6 to a Rebel.

I have everything on your list in mine, sans the 12, cause I didn't want/care about it.

You can run 87 just fine, many do.
I think if I go Rebel I HAVE to go diesel. I cannot stomach sub 15mpg in a modern truck. I drive highway across state to my mom's farm monthly. In 5 years who knows what fuel will be with politicians in control being openly hostile to oil.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think if I go Rebel I HAVE to go diesel. I cannot stomach sub 15mpg in a modern truck. I drive highway across state to my mom's farm monthly. In 5 years who knows what fuel will be with politicians in control being openly hostile to oil.
I went from a 2011 Ram outdoorsman with the Hemi to my 2020 Rebel Diesel, it is so much better on fuel, but one thing to note is that my older truck only had the 5 speed transmission and hydraulic power steering, so a newer truck with the 8 speed and electric power steering would help the mpg.
I ran 87 octane 99% of the time with no issues, I did put 89 or higher when towing a heavy trailer.
In Canada the 87 and 89 octane contains up to 10% ethanol, that does not help the fuel economy, 91 octane has no ethanol.
You have a better buying advantage being in the USA, you can build any trim with the Diesel engine, for me in Canada, the Diesel is only available on the Rebel, Laramie or higher trims.
My opinion, go Rebel and go Diesel! Ultra low sulfur diesel fuel is the only option for me in Canada, I no longer have to decide which gas 87, 89 or 91.

heliinstructor

Reaction score
I went from a 2011 Ram outdoorsman with the Hemi to my 2020 Rebel Diesel, it is so much better on fuel, but one thing to note is that my older truck only had the 5 speed transmission and hydraulic power steering, so a newer truck with the 8 speed and electric power steering would help the mpg.
I ran 87 octane 99% of the time with no issues, I did put 89 or higher when towing a heavy trailer.
In Canada the 87 and 89 octane contains up to 10% ethanol, that does not help the fuel economy, 91 octane has no ethanol.
You have a better buying advantage being in the USA, you can build any trim with the Diesel engine, for me in Canada, the Diesel is only available on the Rebel, Laramie or higher trims.
My opinion, go Rebel and go Diesel! Ultra low sulfur diesel fuel is the only option for me in Canada, I no longer have to decide which gas 87, 89 or 91.

I’m over a month on order for rebel night edition with hemi north of Toronto and not even a VIN. Starting to consider diesel available on the lot with almost identical trim options. I pull a trailer all summer. It mostly work from home rest of year. Can’t decide what to do as I need a truck for towing the summer and doesn’t sound like my prefer is coming g anytime soon!

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m over a month on order for rebel night edition with hemi north of Toronto and not even a VIN. Starting to consider diesel available on the lot with almost identical trim options. I pull a trailer all summer. It mostly work from home rest of year. Can’t decide what to do as I need a truck for towing the summer and doesn’t sound like my prefer is coming g anytime soon!
Picked up my new tiny cross Canada trailer yesterday 6328B53F-E86A-4DA6-96EC-BFB3AE323BE9.jpeg

DivingOtter

Reaction score
I know everyone likes the Pano's, But I've got a car with 19 year old sunroof.... after 5 years it leaks and the only way to stop it is to replace a bunch little trim around it. They are great when you can use them, but the cold wet part of the year and the destroyed interior head liner... not so much...

heliinstructor

Reaction score
Picked up my new tiny cross Canada trailer yesterday View attachment 84795

Looks great! My issue: have trailer...need truck!!

c4527f3de2b0e3d5efe007b57b19c08f.jpg

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know everyone likes the Pano's, But I've got a car with 19 year old sunroof.... after 5 years it leaks and the only way to stop it is to replace a bunch little trim around it. They are great when you can use them, but the cold wet part of the year and the destroyed interior head liner... not so much...
My 89 Mustang had a sunroof and it wasn’t leaking after 20 years , it was a daily driver too .

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use 87 for everyday driving and the only time I put in 89 is when towing.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
All sunroofs are prone to leak. That's why factory sunroofs are designed with a tub around them, with drains in each corner. The issues are when the drains plug up, and water pools inside the tub. A lot of early 5th gens had an issue where the bottom of the rear drain tubes weren't correctly installed in the rear wall of the cab.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sunroofs are great. I love a panoramic sunroof but I won’t order it on a car anymore if it’s optional. Every sunroof I’ve had has leaked. Just a personal choice. I’d probably pick a used car w/o one over one that has one

Users who are viewing this thread