5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member - picking a trim to buy.

Borsig

Reaction score
After doing much research for the last year, and letting the new 2019-20's get some time and reviews on them, it seems the Ram 1500 will be what I am looking to get sometime this year, either sooner or later. I've yet to hear many bad things.

I've not driven one, since 2019 but I did like it then.

Have not decided new or used, could go either way, but the price of new trucks does leave a foul taste in my mouth, and there's no way I will pay MSRP under any circumstance.

I've got in mind what I want for this truck, it's not for work but more for off road and surf fishing on sand beaches on the OBX, hauling things, and as a "nice SUV with a bed". I will never own a boat, and doubt I'll ever own a camper, but I may tow a trailer in the future if we move and need to haul things. Also my mother lives across the state and I will at some point probably have to trailer things and would like the capability, though it will not be often. It will also be used as our bug out vehicle should we have to dodge a hurricane, or other non natural disaster, so I need the bed capacity for important things. It will also be used sometimes for road trips.

That being said, this might be the last nice vehicle I buy for 10+ years, so I'd like it to be right, and I am not really that flexible on my "must haves". Hell, I could be dead in 10 years.

4x4 off road trim is a must, and I am strongly leaning toward the Rebel because of this. Locker, 4x4, and the lift / skids are appealing.
The 12" screen with Nav is another must. IMO this makes the truck interior.
The pano sunroof is another must. I've come to like these things, and it's part of what drew me to the Ram in the first place. I know it's an "uncommon" feature.
Heated seats are another non negotiable point. Leather is not a huge concern, but I do like it - however I'm not sure cloth is acceptable given how hard it is to clean with dogs, fishing and dirt. I don't like cloth seats really, but I've seen some very nice vinyl. Fake leather / vinyl would be OK, and I think the "built to serve" models may employ this but I've never seen it?
LED headlamps / fogs are another must have. I do a LOT of rural night driving and LED headlamps are a non negotiable for me on a vehicle at this price point.

When It comes to appearance, I absolutely hate chrome. SO any of the big chrome wheels and grilles are out. Not my thing at all.

Granite grey is my fav color. I also like ceramic. I don't like the steel grey.

Thoughts - what are you getting on the rebel vs the big horn with the off road / built to serve editions with off road kits? Just the 1" lift? I mean a 3" lift can be had for several hundred dollars.

Also trying to research the diesel v gas thing. NO one around here even has a diesel to drive. I'd be buying the diesel on fuel savings alone (and warranty)

Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After doing much research for the last year, and letting the new 2019-20's get some time and reviews on them, it seems the Ram 1500 will be what I am looking to get sometime this year, either sooner or later. I've yet to hear many bad things.

I've not driven one, since 2019 but I did like it then.

Have not decided new or used, could go either way, but the price of new trucks does leave a foul taste in my mouth, and there's no way I will pay MSRP under any circumstance.

I've got in mind what I want for this truck, it's not for work but more for off road and surf fishing on sand beaches on the OBX, hauling things, and as a "nice SUV with a bed". I will never own a boat, and doubt I'll ever own a camper, but I may tow a trailer in the future if we move and need to haul things. Also my mother lives across the state and I will at some point probably have to trailer things and would like the capability, though it will not be often. It will also be used as our bug out vehicle should we have to dodge a hurricane, or other non natural disaster, so I need the bed capacity for important things. It will also be used sometimes for road trips.

That being said, this might be the last nice vehicle I buy for 10+ years, so I'd like it to be right, and I am not really that flexible on my "must haves". Hell, I could be dead in 10 years.

4x4 off road trim is a must, and I am strongly leaning toward the Rebel because of this. Locker, 4x4, and the lift / skids are appealing.
The 12" screen with Nav is another must. IMO this makes the truck interior.
The pano sunroof is another must. I've come to like these things, and it's part of what drew me to the Ram in the first place. I know it's an "uncommon" feature.
Heated seats are another non negotiable point. Leather is not a huge concern, but I do like it - however I'm not sure cloth is acceptable given how hard it is to clean with dogs, fishing and dirt. I don't like cloth seats really, but I've seen some very nice vinyl. Fake leather / vinyl would be OK, and I think the "built to serve" models may employ this but I've never seen it?
LED headlamps / fogs are another must have. I do a LOT of rural night driving and LED headlamps are a non negotiable for me on a vehicle at this price point.

When It comes to appearance, I absolutely hate chrome. SO any of the big chrome wheels and grilles are out. Not my thing at all.

Granite grey is my fav color. I also like ceramic. I don't like the steel grey.

Thoughts - what are you getting on the rebel vs the big horn with the off road / built to serve editions with off road kits? Just the 1" lift? I mean a 3" lift can be had for several hundred dollars.

Also trying to research the diesel v gas thing. NO one around here even has a diesel to drive. I'd be buying the diesel on fuel savings alone (and warranty)

Thoughts? Thanks!
So looking at your must haves you could get a Big Horn and up with the sport package and off road group . That’ll give you the 1” lift and skid plates and the electronic locking differential . It’ll also get rid of the chrome with the sport package .

Borsig

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me figure out what the rebel gives other than "rebel" being put on things.

It also seems to be difficult to get something other than cloth on the big horn. The only trim I see that has vinyl / not cloth is the built to serve, and that only comes In red, green, and a steel blue that I can seee

Last edited:

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Get the Rebel it’s awesome! You won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borsig

Reaction score
Are eco diesels really ticking time bombs like I have seen posted on occasion?

Silent Bob

Reaction score
there's no way I will pay MSRP under any circumstance.

You should be able to get 5 to 7% under invoice before incentives/rebates on most trims.

The best incentives are often on the Big Horn trims. This month included.

Borsig

Reaction score
You should be able to get 5 to 7% under invoice before incentives/rebates on most trims.

The best incentives are often on the Big Horn trims. This month included.
The trims are sometimes hard to compare when trying to see the differences in a rebel and offroad packaged Bighorn. with the black appearance

It appears cloth is the ONLY option on the bighorn unless you get the built to serve package. I am OK with vinyl. I am not OK with cloth. Cloth just gets nasty too easily. I have had vinyl in my VW's and they have had up to 150K on them and hold up better than even leather.

It's hard to see the actual differences side by side in the Rebel and an off road equipped bighorn with the black or sport package.

After weighing the diesel, it looks like at 10K or so miles a year it would take me 10 years to break even on the price of fuel even at 15MPG vs 25 MPG. The diesel does not seem worth it.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the diesel and it is so much better on fuel than my previous 2011 Ram with the Hemi, over 14000k and no engine issues. The services are much more expensive if you get them done at the dealership, however I purchase the filters and oil on sale, about half price and get the dealership to perform the work with my supplied parts.

Most people think diesels have to work hard to be worthwhile buying, I disagree, I do pull trailers on occasion but this truck is my daily driver and I am so impressed with its performance and efficiency, in the winter here in Northern Ontario it is actually better on fuel than my wife’s Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk elite with the 2L turbo.
I will be towing a small travel trailer across Canada, USA next year and I would not be doing that with a Hemi.
You can dress any model of trucks and try to make it look like the Rebel but it won’t be a Rebel.
I have every options but the split tailgate and air suspension, sure is a luxurious and expensive, this is my last year of work before retirement and efficiency is important to me, specially after I’m retired and traveling in America.
I wish you a good shopping experience.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like a Rebel is what you want.
A Laramie with the ORG might work too.
This.

You need to go new order or get a Rebel. Your uncompromising list is too specific. Even with a Rebel finding one with the moon roof will be tough, used or on the lot new.

For Laramie you would also need Level 2 equipment group.

With any Big Horn you would need to add leather aftermarket for about $1800.

If the 12" is a must, I would order a 2022 later this calendar year in late September or early October (delivery would be 2021 srill) with Uconnect5. I would worry about support for Uconnect4 especially in the 12 inch screen.

If you want to keep it 10 years avoid etorque, long term reliability still unknown.

Make sure you are aware of gas tank size, many crew cabs only have 23 gallon. A few have 26.
33 gallon is a $450 or so option.

Look at the How to Get Best Price thread linked in red above.

Last edited:

Cert2.0

Reaction score
Rebel seems to be the best bang for the buck on what your looking for other then tow ratings there's really not any difference between any of the trucks each truck can be loaded to an extent. best to build one on the site and know that's what you want, its your money make sure you get what you want or you will not be happy with yourself last thing you need is to question if its the truck you want on a regular basis.

Borsig

Reaction score
The pano roof is such a great feature for 1500.00 - hard to understand why many more aren't on lots

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
Definitely buy new if you want it 10+ years...to be sure no one was off-roading it on the beach.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Old generation maybe, not so with gen 3 as yet reported, but nobody posting has alot of miles yet.

Older gens were already going **** up within 20K. (Some of them). New doesnt seem to have the same issues thankfully.

Borsig

Reaction score
Definitely buy new if you want it 10+ years...to be sure no one was off-roading it on the beach.
That's precisely one thing I intend to do with it. I've been doing that for 3 years with my current vehicle, and as long as you clean the salt, it's not bad. I dont see owning anything past 10 years .

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Rebel seems to be the best bang for the buck on what your looking for other then tow ratings there's really not any difference between any of the trucks each truck can be loaded to an extent. best to build one on the site and know that's what you want, its your money make sure you get what you want or you will not be happy with yourself last thing you need is to question if its the truck you want on a regular basis.
He’d like a Rebel bur as others have said a BH off road or a Laramie is fine too. Price could sway him to a BH but he gets better offroad characteristics with the Rebel I believe. (Though his list of wants is uncommon for a BH).

I just dont see diesel as a good sand truck myself...

Last edited by a moderator:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
That's precisely one thing I intend to do with it. I've been doing that for 3 years with my current vehicle, and as long as you clean the salt, it's not bad. I dont see owning anything past 10 years .
Getting the salt off is key... And for sure new as he has some very specific wants. Likely not too many resales like his list.

He wants pano, heated seats, maybe leather. I dont see your usual BH resale truck equipped like that. I think the “wants” have to give or its an order truck... He might as well order the 33 gallon tank too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Borsig

Reaction score
Old generation maybe, not so with gen 3 as yet reported, but nobody posting has alot of miles yet.

Older gens were already going **** up within 20K. (Some of them). New doesnt seem to have the same issues thankfully.
I sat down last night and did a comparison. If I do 10K a year (my current vehicle this will replace has 24K on it, and was purchased in Oct 2017) This is the fuel cost breakdown:

This is at 15 Avg in a gas truck, 25 average in a diesel truck.

gas 2.29, diesel 2.45-
546.00 a year
Gas 3.29 diesel 3.45
813.00 a year
Gas 4.00, Diesel 4.19
984.00 a year.

Closing the delta, 16 mpg gas truck and 22 diesel truck, ( fuelly averages) and placing the price of diesel and gas in the midrange area ( Gas will be 3-3.50 a gallon at least in a year and continue to climb as long as the government is openly hostile to fossil fuels - ) makes it around 500 a year.

This is a hard call because the maintenance costs of the ecodiesel are an unknown to me. My DD is a 2015 "banned" TDI that pulls 42 on a bad day, and 50 on a decent day of my 29 mile ride to work. The maintenance costs on it are higher than say, a prius, but then again, it's not a depressing commuter box either.

Things like special oils, DEF, fuel filters, and so on are a huge pain in the *** and cost money. I'd know. The fed has been trying to discourage diesel for years. The SCR systems, def heaters, etc alone are enough to turn anyone off who's owned one for any length of time.

Even if fuel races to 4.00 a gallon, which, IMO is easily possible (I used to work in the oil and gas industry) with the current open hostility, and even with the widest spread it would take me 3 years to make up the fuel cost vs the increased cost of the engine over the v8. Not counting maintenance costs, and the hassle of finding one, and the premium you may have to pay for ordering a truck over one found on a lot. The problem for me comes later when gas spikes and I regret getting the Hemi, or the emissions or fuel system starts giving me hell on the thing and it becomes a money pit.

My biggest hangup right now on this is future fuel prices. Had there been no change in washington, the hemi would be my choice. If gas races to 4 or more a gallon, the diesel starts to become much more attractive, especially with a 33 gallon fuel tank and access to farm diesel should I need it in an emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread