5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member, Hello :) 2020 quad cab, drivers side A pillar leak :(

IAskedForThis

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

Thank you for time and audience. First post. Sorry not to come onboard with all happy thoughts. But is Saul Goodman ! My signature captures me at the moment. It's really a nice truck, just disappointed of a leak. I guess they never memoed that guy on the assembly line? At least I have a story of human ignorance with a shiny new toy and hope of redemption to share, eh? Makes for good Internet reading

I should have known better when I stepped into the vehicle at the storage lot when I was asked to drive it back to the dealer before it was prepped for sale. It had 'that' smell when I got in. Dumb me. Also, It had heavy, heavy frost on the interior of the windshield, like 1/8 inch thick. It kept appearing again every morning on the drivers side, on the inside. Dumb Dumb me.

After reading enough leaky stories. I pulled the curved plastic you kick and scratch when jumping in and out. Then I pulled back the door weather strip to expose Mr. Corrosion starting his work on the big pinch weld shown below. I am drying the carpet and avoiding rain & snow as best as possable

The assumption is water is coming from the A pillar weld gap ? My dealership will see it when I get my controller added in a couple days from now. I will continue and hopefully provide resolution here.

Is that whole frame rail full of water to make it leak from the top of the pinch weld? Maybe its just a channel going along the top

I assume you remove the inner fender well and goop up a gap somewhere halfway down the cab?

Be safe and well everyone !

leaky.jpg

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello Forum,

Thank you for time and audience. First post. Sorry not to come onboard with all happy thoughts. But is Saul Goodman ! My signature captures me at the moment. It's really a nice truck, just disappointed of a leak. I guess they never memoed that guy on the assembly line? At least I have a story of human ignorance with a shiny new toy and hope of redemption to share, eh? Makes for good Internet reading

I should have known better when I stepped into the vehicle at the storage lot when I was asked to drive it back to the dealer before it was prepped for sale. It had 'that' smell when I got in. Dumb me. Also, It had heavy, heavy frost on the interior of the windshield, like 1/8 inch thick. It kept appearing again every morning on the drivers side, on the inside. Dumb Dumb me.

After reading enough leaky stories. I pulled the curved plastic you kick and scratch when jumping in and out. Then I pulled back the door weather strip to expose Mr. Corrosion starting his work on the big pinch weld shown below. I am drying the carpet and avoiding rain & snow as best as possable

The assumption is water is coming from the A pillar weld gap ? My dealership will see it when I get my controller added in a couple days from now. I will continue and hopefully provide resolution here.

Is that whole frame rail full of water to make it leak from the top of the pinch weld? Maybe its just a channel going along the top

I assume you remove the inner fender well and goop up a gap somewhere halfway down the cab?

Be safe and well everyone !

View attachment 49252

Hi IAskedForThis,

I am very sorry to see that you are experiencing this concern with your truck. Please do not hesitate to follow up with us privately if you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
Too bad. Hopefully, your dealership gets you all fixed up and compensated some how.

IAskedForThis

Reaction score
Thank you for the positive thoughts. The truck gets parked it in a garage and the water was confined to the drivers side with no other signs of water entry. Brake light, shark fin, rear glass and passenger side all are dry and assembled as best as I can see, smell or feel ... oh yea
I pulled the carpet back from the gas pedal to the seat and dried it all out. Too cold for mold yet so all is well

Tomorrow I get to face the ...Service Isle..

Someone mentioned copart dot com here for something else. So I was looking at pictures of trucks in distress. Here is the PASSENGER side of a late model 1500.

Where does the water leak start to end up coming out of the pinch weld right where you step out of the front door ? feel free to make a snip and scribble something.

leaky ram.JPG

On a positive note, my truck really likes it when I lay into it. No reason to be timid with this. My 2017 was different in that respect. It does respond to steering more with my right foot.

Is that the diffeance in a quad cab compared to crew cab? Same 20 inch combo

IAskedForThis

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I had a great experience today

The trailer controller is installed and the climax to my story ? The windshield seal is the suspected culprit. I get to go back tomorrow to get it... resealed? Whatever that means. You either goop up some mistake or you remove the windshield and do it again. Removing the windshield breaks the windshield, tell me different.

I asked that I still see a Chrysler star in the corner of the glass when there done.

Hopefully we have a happy ending for the weekend !

gseroka1

Reaction score
Hi IAskedForThis,

I am very sorry to see that you are experiencing this concern with your truck. Please do not hesitate to follow up with us privately if you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares
It's probably the top of the "A"pillar at the top of the windshield underneath the molding and is dripping down. Try taking the trim piece off with the grab handle its just 2 10mm bolts. Run water on top of the windshield area and see if you get any drips from the windshield area

IAskedForThis

Reaction score
...and they lived happily ever after.
I got to spend a little quality time at the dealer. As the person above me here said, the leak was at the top of the windshield. The glass had slide down a tiny bit before the goop set.
They were able to remove the windshield and reset it again. I'll call this a finish to this thread saying its done. The team at my dealer made this a smooth experience for me and I thank them greatly.

I will say this new body style seems a bit more nimble than my 2017. My past truck had B/F Goodrich that were always smooth to drive. This one has the Bridgestones. If anything the Bridgestones seem to have a stiffer side wall feel when I hit the clover leafs. Not so much body roll

I have some chrome nerf bars and a tonneau cover coming to dress it out. See you in threads !

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
...and they lived happily ever after.
I got to spend a little quality time at the dealer. As the person above me here said, the leak was at the top of the windshield. The glass had slide down a tiny bit before the goop set.
They were able to remove the windshield and reset it again. I'll call this a finish to this thread saying its done. The team at my dealer made this a smooth experience for me and I thank them greatly.

I will say this new body style seems a bit more nimble than my 2017. My past truck had B/F Goodrich that were always smooth to drive. This one has the Bridgestones. If anything the Bridgestones seem to have a stiffer side wall feel when I hit the clover leafs. Not so much body roll

I have some chrome nerf bars and a tonneau cover coming to dress it out. See you in threads !

So glad to hear your dealer took care of you, @IAskedForThis! If you are in need of any additional support down the road, please do not hesitate to send us a PM!

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread