5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member from high desert of New Mexico

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New member here but not totally new to Dodge/Ram as I have built up various 1500s and 2500s.

I recently decided that I want a new truck for my business and personal use (including some moderate weekend off-roading fun). Since I am not a "fan boy" for one particular model or manufacturer, I have been lurking around the various truck forums; I have been a member on most since the Internet was born...lol. I have had many truck builds of various makes over the years so I really come to realize the pros and cons of most brands and models (and yes, they all have pros and cons). But I also decided that I wanted out of a truck and get back to another SUV. The problem is, without going back to a Land Rover, I want something with some half-decent off-road chops since I love weekend adventures in the deserts and mountains of northern NM and southern CO. But l also prefer full-sized rigs over medium sized ones (so no Grand Cherokee or Wrangler for me even though I have had a few); I really thought my answer was going to be another but brand new 2019 Chevy Tahoe Z71 and complete a mild build with it.

My old Z71;

But Chevy decided to oust the Z71 package for the Tahoe, and I am not a big fan of their new full-sized truck designs (personal preference on my part), so no new Chevy/GMC for me.

Then I thought I would go back to Ford as I have done quite a few builds with those (including some old Broncos).

One of my F250 builds;

One of my F150 builds;

But I had too many F150s and honestly not feeling the newer ones nowadays. Having said that, I would take a Raptor as I would actually take it off-road but the dealer markup is insane and I have no desire to line the dealership pockets even more than I have to.

That is one of the reasons I left Ford to try out Toyota. Great vehicles but with aging powertrains. I also need the "perception" of American-made with one of the Big 3 since I will be taking my vehicle onto military and DOE installations (even though my Tundra is more "American-made" than most).

But for fun, one of my more recent Toyota 4Runner builds;

...and my current truck (2015 Tundra 1794 Edition);

Then recently I saw a brand new Ram Rebel and thought "Eureka!"...problem solved; Ram hit a home run with the design and off-road packaging/capability! But then I checked out the interior with all of the red bling and my interest quickly faded (just not for me). At first, I wasn't sold on the new non-Rebel 1500 designs, but the more I cruised this forum and the Internet, the more I got to use to the designs and now I am really digging them. In addition, I think the exterior/interior designs can look very professional too for business use, so I am seriously focusing in on a new 2019 Laramie or Limited with the Off-Road Package with a very mild level/lift and tire upgrades for my weekend adventures. I think that would just about get me as near to the Rebel capabilities with the Off-Road Package but with more refinement inside and out! So back to Ram. I am.

One of my old Dodge Ram builds (Laramie 1500 4x4):

Sorry for long-winded intro but I am really looking forward to pulling the trigger sometime soon! Thanks to all on the forum for the contributions and ideas that got me excited about coming back!

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome @Desert Dawg

Glad to see your information on checking out all the brands and seeing that you are planning to choose Ram.

I think a Laramie with sport package and offroad group is the next best thing to the Rebel. And like you said the interior in the Rebel is definitely love /hate.

The Laramie also seems to be a great looking business truck.

Good luck picking your truck, and can't wait to see your build when you get it.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Welcome @Desert Dawg

Glad to see your information on checking out all the brands and seeing that you are planning to choose Ram.

I think a Laramie with sport package and offroad group is the next best thing to the Rebel. And like you said the interior in the Rebel is definitely love /hate.

The Laramie also seems to be a great looking business truck.

Good luck picking your truck, and can't wait to see your build when you get it.

Thank you very much! I agree about the Sport package especially since I am not a huge chrome guy, but a little is okay so I even like the Limited with body-colored bumpers. But the Laramie Sport seems ideal and I won't be as afraid to give it a little character when off-roading...lol.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...efined&filtersModified=true#listing=214961966

The dealer near me that has the HD I am thinking on purchasing just got this in. If it had the Offroad group...I would have to think long and hard about my 2500 decision when I go down to work some more on the deal

That is the first bright blue 2019 Sport I have seen, thanks for sharing. I agree, the Off-Road package is a must!

Edit; You mentioned HD and I have to say that I still can't fully walk away from the Power Wagon. However, that would be a beast for daily driving and would suck up the gas since I drive in the mountains too. But solves the off-roading need very nicely.

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Welcome! I remember you from the Tundratalk forum! I just sold my Tundra this weekend and currently trying to get into a Ram as well!

Hi riccnick, cool to have someone recognize me from another forum...lol. Let us know how your new Ram plays out!

Users who are viewing this thread