5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member and Warranty Question

Jeepamc

Reaction score
New member here. Came out of a 2017 F150 3.5 ecoboost. I had multiple problems with the f150. 4wd didn’t work right (10 times back to dealer for this issue alone), oil leak that kept coming back after fix (2 times), windshield washer reservoir broke (left it broke), power drivers seat quit working(1 time), radio went completely black (1 time), a few times a month I would put the truck in drive and it would get confused and think it was in neutral and I would have to shift in and out a couple times (couldn’t replicate was sporadic), also a few minor annoyances some times the back up sensors would beep even if nothing there and some times blind spot monitoring would show a car there even if no car there (also could replicate). I kept the truck for 45k miles and finally had enough.

I now have a 2019 ram 1500 laramie 4x4. So far with just under 1k miles I love this truck. So much nicer than my f150, but its also a higher trim level. At time of purchase, I bought the 100k bumper to bumper warranty. Before the f150, I would have never considered a extended warranty as I have never had that much trouble out of a truck. The warranty has a 200 dollar deductible. Do I have to pay this every time I take the truck in, even if its for same issue such as the 4wd trouble I had out of f150? This truck has a 36k bumper to bumper warranty from the factory. Can I cancel this extended warranty now and add it back later if the truck starts giving issues? I know its a long post, but thank you for reading, and any advise is much appreciated!

Rick J

Reaction score
If you purchased a MOPAR warranty you can cancel within 60 days and get a full refund. You can buy the warranty anytime in the first year. If you bought it through your dealer you can probably get a better price on line. There are several threads on here regarding extended warranty. Sorry I can't answer the deductible payment question.

Jeepamc

Reaction score
If you purchased a MOPAR warranty you can cancel within 60 days and get a full refund. You can buy the warranty anytime in the first year. If you bought it through your dealer you can probably get a better price on line. There are several threads on here regarding extended warranty. Sorry I can't answer the deductible payment question.

Thank you. Yes it’s a mopar warranty bought through the dealer. So even if I cancel this warranty I can buy it back if I decide to correct?

Jeepamc

Reaction score
Also does anybody know what size the fuel tank is? I have tried to research but I keep finding either 23 or 26. My window sticker doesn’t say.

RJS

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes it’s a mopar warranty bought through the dealer. So even if I cancel this warranty I can buy it back if I decide to correct?
Heed the advice above, If you want to repurchase the warranty after the truck is 12mo or 12,000 miles old the price will be about $1000 higher. Also just to be sure the deductible will only start after the 36/36 bumper to bumper warranty expires. I'll look up my agreement on my 19 and see if it covers how the deductible works for return visits for the same repair. Good question.

RJS

Reaction score
I just read the deductible clause in the extended warranty I bought today for my 19 Laramie and there is no exclusion on return visits for redoing a repair. I read it to say you pay $200/visit. I guess the good news is if you have several repairs done on one visit it's just $200 not the number of repairs times $200.

Rowan611

Reaction score
Also does anybody know what size the fuel tank is? I have tried to research but I keep finding either 23 or 26. My window sticker doesn’t say.

Of it doesn’t specify the size, it’s a 23 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New member here. Came out of a 2017 F150 3.5 ecoboost. I had multiple problems with the f150. 4wd didn’t work right (10 times back to dealer for this issue alone), oil leak that kept coming back after fix (2 times), windshield washer reservoir broke (left it broke), power drivers seat quit working(1 time), radio went completely black (1 time), a few times a month I would put the truck in drive and it would get confused and think it was in neutral and I would have to shift in and out a couple times (couldn’t replicate was sporadic), also a few minor annoyances some times the back up sensors would beep even if nothing there and some times blind spot monitoring would show a car there even if no car there (also could replicate). I kept the truck for 45k miles and finally had enough.

I now have a 2019 ram 1500 laramie 4x4. So far with just under 1k miles I love this truck. So much nicer than my f150, but its also a higher trim level. At time of purchase, I bought the 100k bumper to bumper warranty. Before the f150, I would have never considered a extended warranty as I have never had that much trouble out of a truck. The warranty has a 200 dollar deductible. Do I have to pay this every time I take the truck in, even if its for same issue such as the 4wd trouble I had out of f150? This truck has a 36k bumper to bumper warranty from the factory. Can I cancel this extended warranty now and add it back later if the truck starts giving issues? I know its a long post, but thank you for reading, and any advise is much appreciated!
I am not aware of your specific contract, but usually the additional warranties take over after the basic factory warranty has exhausted. Your basic factory warranty should be good and would supersede the extended warranty until the mileage/time limit expires on the factory warranty. As such any repairs should be no cost to you.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024505 miles.

Jeepamc

Reaction score

Thank you. I have read somewhere that the laramie and up have a 26 standard. Not sure if this is true or not.

Jeepamc

Reaction score
I am not aware of your specific contract, but usually the additional warranties take over after the basic factory warranty has exhausted. Your basic factory warranty should be good and would supersede the extended warranty until the mileage/time limit expires on the factory warranty. As such any repairs should be no cost to you.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024505 miles.
Are these mopar extended warranty’s worth it then? With the initial price of it and then a $200 deductible every trip back, that’s a lot of money that could go to repairs if one is needed.

taz2016

Reaction score

There is another thread somewhere on this forum listing a website to run your VIN. It lists all the specs of your vehicle. Much to my surprise my Pentastar Bighorn has the 26 gallon tank. It was not on my window sticker or any other place I could find.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the Morony (list of equipment on the window) doesn't list it, then it does not have the optional 32 (DS=4th gen) or 33 (DT=5th gen) fuel tank.

The standard tank is 26 gallons.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024522 miles.

taz2016

Reaction score
The "standard" tank size depends upon which model and which option packages you have. It can be either 23 or 26 gallons.

Jeepamc

Reaction score
The "standard" tank size depends upon which model and which option packages you have. It can be either 23 or 26 gallons.
How do I find out? It’s not on my window sticker. It might be worth the upgrade to the bigger tank if I have the 23 but not as much worth it if I have the 26.

RJS

Reaction score
How do I find out? It’s not on my window sticker. It might be worth the upgrade to the bigger tank if I have the 23 but not as much worth it if I have the 26.
You need the build sheet not the window sticker. The BS will list everything on your truck. This link should work when you include your VIN on it. If not, google Ram Build sheet and you'll find the link.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats. Lots of heated debate on whether extended warranties are worth it. It really is a matter of what makes you most comfortable. Economics aside, peace of mind is worth something. You can also always add the ext warranty down the road if you find your truck seems to have lots of gremlins. The ts a personal choice.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

Jeepamc

Reaction score
Welcome and congrats. Lots of heated debate on whether extended warranties are worth it. It really is a matter of what makes you most comfortable. Economics aside, peace of mind is worth something. You can also always add the ext warranty down the road if you find your truck seems to have lots of gremlins. The ts a personal choice.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf
Thank you. I’ll check into this.

Users who are viewing this thread