5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member - already a couple issues

drphilwv

Reaction score
Howdy all!
Well, just purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. Delmonico Red, black interior, with all the bells and whistles. Purchased it yesterday and drove it the 90 min home.

And then...
First there was an air ride notice that the system needed to be serviced immediately. Seems to be working currently and its still under warranty so to me that wasn't a giant issue.
Second - at 70mph on the curvy WV interstate the red light and exclamation point of "power steering is out" came on and I lost the ability to steer the vehicle. Honestly had I not been slowing up for some upcoming traffic might have wrecked. It was like trying to steer with the steering lock on an older car. I was able to somehow get it off the next exit and once I stopped and sat in park for a while the steering came right back. Check on the internet and found a couple power steering related recalls for the model but apparently didn't show up for my VIN. Well I'm here to tell you whatever electrical gremiln cause that is one dangeous one. Have an appointment in 2 weeks with a local dodge dealership and I'm hoping they can get it sorted.

Bad start. Have always been an F-150 guy and now starting to regret my purchase. Hoping it gets better from here on out.

Dr Phil in WV

Wsmith

Reaction score
Howdy all!
Well, just purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. Delmonico Red, black interior, with all the bells and whistles. Purchased it yesterday and drove it the 90 min home.

And then...
First there was an air ride notice that the system needed to be serviced immediately. Seems to be working currently and its still under warranty so to me that wasn't a giant issue.
Second - at 70mph on the curvy WV interstate the red light and exclamation point of "power steering is out" came on and I lost the ability to steer the vehicle. Honestly had I not been slowing up for some upcoming traffic might have wrecked. It was like trying to steer with the steering lock on an older car. I was able to somehow get it off the next exit and once I stopped and sat in park for a while the steering came right back. Check on the internet and found a couple power steering related recalls for the model but apparently didn't show up for my VIN. Well I'm here to tell you whatever electrical gremiln cause that is one dangeous one. Have an appointment in 2 weeks with a local dodge dealership and I'm hoping they can get it sorted.

Bad start. Have always been an F-150 guy and now starting to regret my purchase. Hoping it gets better from here on out.

Dr Phil in WV
Sorry to hear. 2 weeks out, I would drive something else until then.

Sam_The_RAM_Man

Reaction score
Howdy all!

And then...

Dr Phil in WV
Good afternoon Dr. Phil and congrats on your purchase!

What are the last 8 digits of your VIN? I will check to see if there is a Rapid Response Transmittal in DealerConnect tied to your VIN.

drphilwv

Reaction score
KN545851
The dealership ran it prior to the sale and nothing popped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam_The_RAM_Man

Reaction score
KN545851
The dealership ran it prior to the sale and nothing popped up.

Our Service Director at San Antonio Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM gave me this input on the "4-corner air suspension" issue:
  1. The system may be out of level, which would trigger that warning
  2. There could be a small leak somewhere in the system, which would cause the pump operating the 4-corner air suspension to constantly be running, which would trigger that warning
He had no comment on the "power steering" issue.

I also noticed that your Connected Services has not been activated in your truck. Are you aware that your RAM comes with a complimentary one-year free trial of SiriusXM Guardian through Uconnect? This will allow you to use your Smartphone or Smartwatch to operate the following features:
  • Remote Horn and Lights: Sound the horn and flash the lights to help locate your vehicle in a crowded lot
  • Remote Vehicle Start: Warm or cool your vehicle before you get in
  • Vehicle Finder: Forget where you parked your car? A quick tap allows you to view the location on a map
  • Send & Go: Easily search, map and send locations directly to your vehicle's navigation system
  • Smartwatch Integration: Get instant access to the app on your Apple Watch or Android Wear
If you would like, I can send you the link to activate the Connected Services. Here is a video explaining set up:

Attachments

• Connected Services.pdf
    190.4 KB · Views: 2

drphilwv

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I’ll do just that!

As far as driving it - I’ll drive it to work this week - which isn’t nearly as risky as it sounds. I live about 2 miles from work, all 30mph or less. If the PS goes out there are literally no cars on the road at that time of day. I’ll pull it into someone’s yard if I need to. But I somehow think it won’t happen at those speeds. I was at highway speed when it occurred and it sound like when it’s happened to other folks this was the same deal.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Howdy all!

And then...

Dr Phil in WV
Sounds like you just bought someone else's problem that they didn't want to deal with. Purchased used?

drphilwv

Reaction score
I did. Entirely possible. That’s the risk when you buy a used car/truck. So we will see how it sorts out.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did. Entirely possible. That’s the risk when you buy a used car/truck. So we will see how it sorts out.

Ah ok, very true regarding risk. I got mine used with 16k miles on her...and was a contractors rental. I got super lucky with mine considering they used it off road in mud and all. (could tell by the underside).

drphilwv

Reaction score
Alrighty an update:

The air ride system was issuing the service code for the same reason the power steering kicked off - the recall involving the grounding cable was done, but not done well. It was disassembled, cleaned, and torqued to spec. The vehicle now throws no more errors and the power steering issue has not returned. Whohooo!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good to hear, again FCA dealership network strikes again. Half assed jobs due to too much workload because they oversold vehicles and don't have the network to service them.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to hear, again FCA dealership network strikes again. Half assed jobs due to too much workload because they oversold vehicles and don't have the network to service them.
Such a shame... They'd be #1 as a whole if they could fix those issues.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Such a shame... They'd be #1 as a whole if they could fix those issues.

They are getting better, Range Rover actually took the bottom spot. But RAM, Dodge, Chrysler & Jeep are right there with them, almost in last place. Freaking Chevy is number 2 for God's sake! Note this isn't about the quality of the products, but the service department.

I love my truck, but dread having to go to the dealer for anything. I mean something as simple as the floormat recall is being dragged on with me, since the freakin service department won't call me back to schedule anything even though the parts are there.

I've never seen a dealer try to talk me out of an oil change because they were too busy in my 27 years of driving.

Jako

Reaction score
They are getting better, Range Rover actually took the bottom spot. But RAM, Dodge, Chrysler & Jeep are right there with them, almost in last place. Freaking Chevy is number 2 for God's sake! Note this isn't about the quality of the products, but the service department.

I love my truck, but dread having to go to the dealer for anything. I mean something as simple as the floormat recall is being dragged on with me, since the freakin service department won't call me back to schedule anything even though the parts are there.

I've never seen a dealer try to talk me out of an oil change because they were too busy in my 27 years of driving.
Have to agree with you, unfortunately. My dealer's service is overwhelmed and covid only made it worse. I did get a call though my tailgate cable was in but I had to give them the TSB to prove my point on a prior visit.
I have been through similar situations with my architect and Honda snow blower. As previous discussed in another thread "service" is lacking across the "board". Phones, texts, emails and keyboards have made it easy to "hide" behind.

On a side note:
Anybody with a HSS series Honda snow blower experiencing chute clogging can have the chute changed, depending on the date built. World of difference when it come to clogging.

Users who are viewing this thread