5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

Kfins2022

Reaction score
I've got a 2020 Ram and had the problem very infrequently and now have it every time I go to fill up. I can maybe get 3-4 gallons before it begins to backup. I've tried all solutions listed here; pull the nozzle out and turn the nozzle head. None seem to work now. I'll be making my dealer visit before my 3 yr warranty runs out. I'd be curious to know how receptive the Dealerships are to the issue. Anybody have any feedback??
Did you ever get any update or feedback? I am trying to make an appointment for this again. RAM cares is helping hopefully.

htownbrewer

Reaction score
Add me to the list of those having this problem. It used to be intermittentt, but I haven't been able to keep the fuel flowing into the tank for several fillups in a row now. I'm going to look into clearing the vent line this weekend. The lack of a vent causing a vapor lock seems like the likely culprit. Is there a fuel filter between the filler neck and tank?

Kfins2022

Reaction score
Add me to the list of those having this problem. It used to be intermittentt, but I haven't been able to keep the fuel flowing into the tank for several fillups in a row now. I'm going to look into clearing the vent line this weekend. The lack of a vent causing a vapor lock seems like the likely culprit. Is there a fuel filter between the filler neck and tank?
Hey Htownbrewer, I got a reply from Ram Cares and they asked for my vin and said to schedule an appointment with dealer. I just did and I will let you know how it goes. I am on the books for Feb 13th. It is super frustrating to be in line for 15mins not sure if you are going to over fill the tank because of all the times the pump kicks off.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey Htownbrewer, I got a reply from Ram Cares and they asked for my vin and said to schedule an appointment with dealer. I just did and I will let you know how it goes. I am on the books for Feb 13th. It is super frustrating to be in line for 15mins not sure if you are going to over fill the tank because of all the times the pump kicks off.
It's annoying but if you put your head close to the fill neck you can hear it when it's actually getting full. Not ideal but it's what I need to do.
One time the pump's safety sensor tripped and shut off both sides LOL. The guy on the other side was so confused because he didn't know mine kept shutting off, was like sorry bud bad pumps, and left with only a quarter tank of gas.

Kfins2022

Reaction score
Truck is at the Dealer now. I have been informed it will cost $530.00 to install a new filler neck. That there is two rocker valves and some how one is not working correctly. Ram cares has started a case number and I have given that info to Ram. Now I am waiting for them to call me back to see what it will cost me to fix it. I will follow up when done.

myejeep

Reaction score
I have had my truck into the dealership 3 times now for this same issue. They replaced the evap system first, then the fuel tank, all was good for about a week and now I have a CEL and the issue persists. 33gal tank. Takes 3 weeks to schedule an appointment at my dealer each time so I’ve been mostly out of a vehicle for 3 months and will be dropping it back off for more fuel related repairs in 2.5 weeks.

I’ve contacted an attorney that specializes in lemon law so I will be proceeding with that route if we can get a case together. If you’ve had as much issue with this as I have, I suggest you do the same. We didn’t all pay $70k+ for our trucks to be sitting at the dealership or in the driveway with an empty tank.

EOC

Reaction score
Had this issue for a few months now. Tired of spending 30 minutes refilling. going to try this rod down tube. See if it breaks a vapor lock. Not looking forward to taking it to dealership and seeing if they even know what to do. 33 gal tank in 2019 ram 1500 bighorn4x4

PLANMAN5740

Reaction score
I had my 2021 Rebel in the dealership once already, (for 12 days) for this issue. They changed the filler neck and cleaned the vent lines. 4th fill-up today same thing, the necks fills and it shuts off.

84 month extended warranty and the blamed corporate for delaying approvals to fix it?

I'm so over this. I want t truck, not yard art.

PLANMAN5740

Reaction score
Update, they dropped the yank and cleaned the vent and fill line, "after I asked them about that tuesday, thanks to a FORUM comment). Filled it up and gave it back to me.

These new designs are not meant to be filled like the old trucks. When not clicks, STOP, too many check valves and sensors between "here and there"!

These FORUMS are a great way to get educated, thanks for all the input.

We'll see how it goes.
4 FILLS LATER, CLICK CLICK CLICK!!!!! Same damn thing, I've about had enough, these lawn ornaments aren't cheap!

bgasper

Reaction score
Following. I take my 2021 in tomorrow for this. 38,000 miles. Just started 2 weeks ago.

Robalo2718

Reaction score
Having this issue with my '21. 23 gallon tank. At the dealership now getting it worked on - I think they are taking the charcoal canister/EVAP system fix route, so my hopes are pretty low after reading posts from everyonr else. However, I do drive in a lot of dusty / dirty conditions, so maaaaayyybe? For me the issue showed up all of a sudden one day and has been pretty constant. I live in Oregon where you often are not allowed to pump your own gas, so this has been uniquely frustrating.

Robalo2718

Reaction score
Having this issue with my '21. 23 gallon tank. At the dealership now getting it worked on - I think they are taking the charcoal canister/EVAP system fix route, so my hopes are pretty low after reading posts from everyonr else. However, I do drive in a lot of dusty / dirty conditions, so maaaaayyybe? For me the issue showed up all of a sudden one day and has been pretty constant. I live in Oregon where you often are not allowed to pump your own gas, so this has been uniquely frustrating.
Welp, stopped at 4 different gas stations on the way home and put $10 in the tank at each station without issue. As I said in my previous post, I'm not getting too excited because of all the failed Vapor Canister fixes. It seems like a few people have had the EVAP repair work for a few fill-ups/a few months only to need the tank replaced as an actual fix. Anyone know why the EVAP thing might work temporarily? Is all the jostling of the fuel tank area loosening the rollover valve in the fuel tank that is the actual problem?

Cost me $258.74 after [3rd party] extended warranty.

Of note, this vent hole definitely wasn't here before the repair: vent hole.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Welp, stopped at 4 different gas stations on the way home and put $10 in the tank at each station without issue. As I said in my previous post, I'm not getting too excited because of all the failed Vapor Canister fixes. It seems like a few people have had the EVAP repair work for a few fill-ups/a few months only to need the tank replaced as an actual fix. Anyone know why the EVAP thing might work temporarily? Is all the jostling of the fuel tank area loosening the rollover valve in the fuel tank that is the actual problem?

Cost me $258.74 after [3rd party] extended warranty.

Of note, this vent hole definitely wasn't here before the repair: View attachment 152632
I have had that "vent hole" since I got my 22.
Is that suppose to be an actual vent? I'm 99% sure I have seen water drip in and drain into it when I open my fuel door after it rained.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had that "vent hole" since I got my 22.
Is that suppose to be an actual vent? I'm 99% sure I have seen water drip in and drain into it when I open my fuel door after it rained.
i believe your right this seems to be a water drain, i think the actual vent tube is connect directly to the filler neck tube that we dont see in this picture, it can be seen from under the truck

Robalo2718

Reaction score
i believe your right this seems to be a water drain, i think the actual vent tube is connect directly to the filler neck tube that we dont see in this picture, it can be seen from under the truck
Ah, water drain makes more sense. For whatever reason that piece was newly installed todat.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
To be clear I don't think/know it's suppose to be a water drain, I've just seen water drip into it. I have had the fueling problem since I bought my truck on my first fill up

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be clear I don't think/know it's suppose to be a water drain, I've just seen water drip into it. I have had the fueling problem since I bought my truck on my first fill up
i also assume it was that because my water also drips from there and its made off flexible material

also ive look a replacement fill tube/neck(mopar) just by curiosity and we can clearly see it connect to the fill neck tube a few inch below the clap

when its going to be nicer outside ill try to go see from under to confirm both

JasonTex12

Reaction score
On my last visit to the dealer I complained about how when filling the gas tank the pump will stop a million times if you try to fill up at the highest speed (or any speed really). They ordered me a new tank and the service advisor told me the order was canceled by RAM. He reordered the tank and that order was canceled too so he called to ask why the order kept getting canceled and he was told they are not fulfilling orders for gas tanks and that they have redesigned the fuel tank. After Jan 22nd he will be able to order the newly designed tank that fixes this issue. I am glad he told me this because I know there are people here with the same issue I have and its part of the 7 yr 70k warranty so most of you that have this issue will get the replacement free of charge.
Had this issue on my 2019 Laramie. Turned out to be the vapor canister, which was impacting the fuel pump. Got both replaced, haven't had an issue since. But that problem is such a frustrating one. Glad they r replacing your tank, have them check the others as well.

myejeep

Reaction score
The federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. § 2301

Look it up, get a check for your wasted time and effort, trade your new junker in for a low mileage older model until FCA can figure out how a gas tank works.

Users who are viewing this thread