5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

JacksonD1776

Reaction score
I have a 2020, 1500 Laramie Longhorn. 33 gallon tank. 45000 miles. The issue with not being able to fill the tank is the vent filter being clogged.
around 38000 miles, mine started having "the issue". The gas tank vent tube has a filter on top of it. The filter is located to the left of the fuel tank fill door, behind the body panel. There isn't much to protect it so it gets caked full of dust and dirt which clogs the filter and doesn't allow the tank to breath so it thinks its full of gas, when it's actually full of air.
I have already replaced the filter once, at my own expense. Now it got clogged up again.
The service center mechanics told me that I should just "blow it out" every oil change. Well, they blew it out and it didn't do anything to resolve the issue.

This is an issue that Ram/Dodge/Chrysler needs to fix with a recall

Oldphart

Reaction score
When they replaced my tank and filler neck there was a new fuel pump as part of the new tank so maybe yours could have been defective out of the box. My dealer also said there is a sensor inside that assembly that if not working properly causes the tank to trip the gas nozzle when being filled. I asked if they can fix that sensor if it fails and they said no its part of the fuel pump/sending unit assembly.

I would like to know how an electronic sensor in the tank can cause a mechanical pump nozzle to malfunction. Sounds like more dealer BS to me.

I've got a '21 with the 33 gallon tank and I've had this issue with very few pump nozzles.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like to know how an electronic sensor in the tank can cause a mechanical pump nozzle to malfunction. Sounds like more dealer BS to me.

I've got a '21 with the 33 gallon tank and I've had this issue with very few pump nozzles.
I can only say that when i got my 2019 truck in late Nov 2018 it never had that problem, then one day poof, it started and never stopped until they replaced the tank & filler neck. I wish someone that works for a RAM dealer would chime up here and help us to clarify all this. I know as an Engineer by trade that cause & effect don't always make sense with the prescribed solution. All I can say is what I was told and that the resultant actions of the dealership solved my issue and I hope permanently.

outdoor7or24

Reaction score
Ugh, yesterday went to fill up and I could only get 0.25 gals in before the pump nozzle shut off. You could hear the fuel fill up in the filler neck. I had some issues before where it would shut off and I would move the pump nozzle and the second try no problem.

I fought it for 20 minutes, moved to different pump (I have filled up there before), full speed to just a trickle, it all did the same thing. I got it about 3/4 full and ran out of time.
I am going to try today to see if does it again.
I just turned 76,000 miles on my 2020 Laramine. Maybe I will try the blowing the filter out near the filler hose.

I thought there was lawsuit started over this?

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It hasn't happened to me in a while. Almost a year. Last weekend I went to fill up at Costco. Pump kept shutting off. So I had to stay out there holding the pump until full. This only ever happens at Costco pumps.

outdoor7or24

Reaction score
I usually fill up when the tank gets to 1/4 full, this time it was about 1/8 full. However the other day it was 1/8 full and did fine (different station).

It seems that there are many areas that could cause issues.

outdoor7or24

Reaction score
So I talked to a friend who had the same issue. He said try moving the gas pump handle to the 3 or 4 o'clock position.
I tried it and was able to run the nozzle at full speed. I only needed about 6 gallons to get to full.
I was also told that after a few gallons you could just let the handle go back to 6 o'clock position and it should work.
Has anyone tried that?

Called dealer and was told they need to test it to verify which part it needs. Bring it in with half tank or less, they will put about 6 gallons of fuel in at the pump to diagnose what part it needs. Does this sound familiar? I am thinking off what I have read on the forum it will be just a replace this part, if that does not work, replace next part...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I talked to a friend who had the same issue. He said try moving the gas pump handle to the 3 or 4 o'clock position.
I tried it and was able to run the nozzle at full speed. I only needed about 6 gallons to get to full.
I was also told that after a few gallons you could just let the handle go back to 6 o'clock position and it should work.
Has anyone tried that?

Called dealer and was told they need to test it to verify which part it needs. Bring it in with half tank or less, they will put about 6 gallons of fuel in at the pump to diagnose what part it needs. Does this sound familiar? I am thinking off what I have read on the forum it will be just a replace this part, if that does not work, replace next part...
If I turn my pump like that it seems to work better.
Some pumps work at 6 o clock fine.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i filled up the other night. second tank of gas i put in and ran into this problem. However if I hold it and lift it slightly up then no problem. The moment i let it go down to resting by itself with the auto hold thing engaged it would stop at almost every gallon that went through.

and i only have about 600 miles on the clock. ill try a different station next time.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
i filled up the other night. second tank of gas i put in and ran into this problem. However if I hold it and lift it slightly up then no problem. The moment i let it go down to resting by itself with the auto hold thing engaged it would stop at almost every gallon that went through.

and i only have about 600 miles on the clock. ill try a different station next time.
It's not about the station, it's about the actual pump.
Most stations I find I can use around 25% of their pumps fine, and I just need to remember which ones work and don't.

outdoor7or24

Reaction score
So I filled up 3 times since, different stations, and no issues.
I wonder if the station I had issues at (never had issues there before) has changed something?

I cancelled my appointment at the dealer since it appears to be fine for now. I wonder what the test is they do to diagnose what part you need or if it is just a replace part A, if that does not work then replace part B....

DOFF

Reaction score
I just had my tank replaced couple days ago. First fill on new tank was fine. Second fill clicked every 3 seconds. Went to another gas station and clicked twice then finally started filling. My service tech has the same truck and replaced his tank multiple times and has confirmed what we’ve said on here with the fuel vapor gap issue and said there’s no way around it. I’ve tried every possible position for up to 20 minutes. Super frustrating.

Is there a different aftermarket fuel acceptance cap/nozzle spout we can put on to get around the vapor issue? Don’t want to sell my truck, I love it but I can’t deal with this for the next 5 years

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just had my tank replaced couple days ago. First fill on new tank was fine. Second fill clicked every 3 seconds. Went to another gas station and clicked twice then finally started filling. My service tech has the same truck and replaced his tank multiple times and has confirmed what we’ve said on here with the fuel vapor gap issue and said there’s no way around it. I’ve tried every possible position for up to 20 minutes. Super frustrating.

Is there a different aftermarket fuel acceptance cap/nozzle spout we can put on to get around the vapor issue? Don’t want to sell my truck, I love it but I can’t deal with this for the next 5 years
Maybe some kind of funnel?

The tube can accept the amount of gas being pumped, but it appears to be getting caught somewhere which triggers the pump to turn off.

I know if I turn mine a bit it gets better, but some pumps "just work" and I try to only go to those. On a 500-550 mile range I can generally get close to empty and fill up locally.

outdoor7or24

Reaction score
Reporting back, I have put gas in 4 times and no issues, even went back to the gas station where I had the issue of stopping every 5 seconds...

Wonder how much the vapor issue has to due with environmental conditions?

Handycraftman

Reaction score
When it's very cold, it's impossible to refuel the truck. I saw a filter body near the neck, on other forums they write that it freezes. But it has nothing to do with the air outlet tube. There is a valve on the air outlet tube, I'm sure the reason is it. Has anyone disassembled the valve or filter?

Flywel

Reaction score
2021 Rebel with 33gal tank here. Looking though this thread I have had the same experiences. I was moving with a large trailer and two unhappy kids in the back and was at a pump that didn’t allow me to fuel more than .25gal at a time. With an empty tank and not wanting to stop again (hoping they’ll nap (if you have little ones you’ll understand)); I resorted to using the nozzle reserved for filling with a gas can. I had to fill it slowly, but I worked.

In FL I just learned to avoid the stations the “tricks” didn’t work and I was fine with the gremlin. However, I recently moved to MD and have this issue with every, single, pump…. With how expensive these vehicles are I am appalled dealer aren’t fixing them… With deep winter settling in I need to find a solution….

Flywel

Reaction score
When it's very cold, it's impossible to refuel the truck. I saw a filter body near the neck, on other forums they write that it freezes. But it has nothing to do with the air outlet tube. There is a valve on the air outlet tube, I'm sure the reason is it. Has anyone disassembled the valve or filter?
So from the warnings on the factory sticker on the inside of the fuel door and from probing around. It has two spring loaded valves. I believe the issue is the distance of the second inner valve being too long. If you have a pump with a longer spout or one that doesn’t have a huge “umbrella” they are gold. However, some pumps are more sensitive and it doesn’t matter…

I’ve thought about seeing it I can find a way around it, but we all know how much we paid for these trucks and the warranty they come with, that has stopped me. I moved and have this issue at every pump in my area. I might go mad this winter and tinker with it if a recall doesn’t fix it soon.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So from the warnings on the factory sticker on the inside of the fuel door and from probing around. It has two spring loaded valves. I believe the issue is the distance of the second inner valve being too long. If you have a pump with a longer spout or one that doesn’t have a huge “umbrella” they are gold. However, some pumps are more sensitive and it doesn’t matter…

I’ve thought about seeing it I can find a way around it, but we all know how much we paid for these trucks and the warranty they come with, that has stopped me. I moved and have this issue at every pump in my area. I might go mad this winter and tinker with it if a recall doesn’t fix it soon.
There would NEVER be a recall. Recalls are only for safety problems. Not being able to put gas in your tank is not a safety problem.
Best case they would do a client satisfaction program or something similar, but they would never do that as they would be on the hook for fixing the problem on everyone trucks where not everyone has the problem.
You can try and have the dealership fix it but it seems most people have the problem come back assuming they don't screw up anything else while working on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online