5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New here, looking for insight on these trucks

vinnrox250

Reaction score
Similar situation, not trying to hijack thread, but looking for same info as OP. Long time lurker here! I will be in the market at the end of the year and I am looking at a Limited Black Appearance with 33 gall. tank, 3.92 gears and Level 1 Equip Group, (hopefully the new uconnect 5), so loaded.. I am not a die-hard brand person, I have had many Ford's and 2 Ram 2500's cummins. The '16 Laramie was tons of weird hiccups; leaks, weak AC, thunk in rear end, so got out of it quick, and with no kick in the pants. Currently in an *knock on wood* problem-free '18 Limited Tungsten and love the truck. But looking at possibly downsizing some, maybe, sold the fifth wheel. But thinking I may keep longer due to some quality control issues/concerns on the 1500's.

My couple of concerns are:

1. I am torn on the E-Torque, it seems nice, but new systems like that concern me, and it doesn't seem like you get that much better fuel economy. And it turns out you can get the 2020's with just a 5.7 Hemi again, (woohoo) according to their build feature on their site. Hopefully this will be the same for the 2021's. Also I HATE the start-stop on my Grand Cherokee High Altitude so I expect I will hate it here too.

2. Fuel Economy seems poor for these trucks, I get it's a truck, I get it's a V8, but all the forums I have read are reporting numbers from 9-16 mpg's city. Quite a variance. My 3/4 Cummins does better than that!

3. The Water Leaks! I know there is the one in the front that leaks to drivers floor board, and the back glass has supposedly been fixed for the 2020's on. I feel like with the amount of complaints on this FCA needs to get the fix in place and fix the weld issues. Hoping they do so, but the 2020's are still plagued by it so not holding my breathe.

4. Sub-Par AC. I had this issue in my 16 2500 Laramie, and it was awful, especially in Texas on a 100 degree day! My 18 is much better!! Ford I think has the AC game down, my old Super Duty and Explorer was frigid and cooled the cab fast. This seems somewhat widespread on the 1500's and FCA, well the dealers, are saying it work's as designed. Somewhat concerned. I understand coldness is subjective to everyone, but I feel like the cab should be able to cool under the 54-60 degrees coming out of the vents I have been seeing.

I absolutely love the Rams. I was dead set on an 18 Platinum Super Duty, but the fit and finish in the Ford's are sub-par compared to these Ram's I am so happy I got my Limited Tungsten. Once I saw it, I was like Platinum who? Lol! I really want the Limited 1500, but I don't want to buy into something that has known issues, with no resolution in sight (ac and front leak seems hit & miss on repairs). I know every car is plagued by issues, but if I can dodge the nightmare that is the Ram dealers and these pretty significant issues I would like to. From what I have seen on here, mostly everyone, even with the issues, still loves their trucks. I see why!

Everyone is trying to push me Ford, I have 2 family members that work for them, so warranty work, mainly out of warranty work, and cost of vehicle I can get a good deal, but it is boring.

Sorry for the long post. Like I said, I have read this forum extensively and learned so much, and despite the issues, I still think I am leaning 1500 over the boring Ford or even keeping my 2500. And I don't think the 2021 F150 will be comparable to the Ram. Thanks for reading my ramble!

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome! Just responding to a couple of your stated concerns:

1. I am torn on the E-Torque, it seems nice, but new systems like that concern me, and it doesn't seem like you get that much better fuel economy. And it turns out you can get the 2020's with just a 5.7 Hemi again, (woohoo) according to their build feature on their site. Hopefully this will be the same for the 2021's. Also I HATE the start-stop on my Grand Cherokee High Altitude so I expect I will hate it here too.

I honestly wouldn't rely on past experience with stop/start systems. eTorque smooths out the stop/start sequence in a way that no traditional starter could. You'll have to drive one to believe it.
2. Fuel Economy seems poor for these trucks, I get it's a truck, I get it's a V8, but all the forums I have read are reporting numbers from 9-16 mpg's city. Quite a variance. My 3/4 Cummins does better than that!

It's not great, especially for those of us with fancy trims and 3.92 gearing.

I haven't experienced the other issues, so I can't complain. I was leaning towards an F-150 Limited or Sierra Denali at one point, but the Ram interior really won me over. And mine has been a good truck for the past 16-17 months.

vinnrox250

Reaction score
Welcome! Just responding to a couple of your stated concerns:

I honestly wouldn't rely on past experience with stop/start systems. eTorque smooths out the stop/start sequence in a way that no traditional starter could. You'll have to drive one to believe it.

It's not great, especially for those of us with fancy trims and 3.92 gearing.

I haven't experienced the other issues, so I can't complain. I was leaning towards an F-150 Limited or Sierra Denali at one point, but the Ram interior really won me over. And mine has been a good truck for the past 16-17 months.

Thank you! Solid advice! From what I have researched the E-Torque seems to be a completely different beast. It is in lieu of a normal alternator, so I can see how it can be smoother, I will have to drive one like you said! But glad to know you have not had any issues with it. I am always leery of new tech like that, but seems most kinks have been ironed out.

Yup! That is what I am looking at! So I guess I will have to deal. No biggie, but was surprised at the figures being so wide. Plus is, it is cheaper than diesel! Lol.

Those Denali's are so nice outside, but the inside's I feel are still WAY behind. They don't need a 12" screen, but come on what they put there is tiny. Ha. But yes, I am in the boat you were, nothing compares to Ram's Interior Finish out. Period. I am glad to hear yours has been trouble free! Here's to many more years and miles of that!!

Side note: I see you're in FW, any recommendation on a place for PPF & Ceramic? I am a weekend warrior with detailing. I follow a couple local ones, but wanted to know if you had experience with any? If memory serves, on one of these forum pages (I have read so many, lol), you had this done? New Image I have heard great things about, they did my friends Bentley Flying Spur and it was top-notch work, but I like to shop. Lol.

highgear2005

Reaction score
I’ve had my share of trucks.And my share of problems. I traded my 2018 f150 XLT which was a nightmare! On a beautiful 2019 bighorn equipment group 2, 5.7 3.92 rear end. My 2019 build date 3/19, purchased 9/19 has been flawless! If I had a complaint it would be the gas mileage. My brakes growl as I back up first thing in the morning. But I can live with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At 53K I would test drive a Laramie. Maybe pass on options like 12" screen and night edition and you can get into nice Laramie with better interior and few more options that even a BigHorn doesn't come with. At least owe it to yourself to compare the two.
This is a suggestion worthy of consideration!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029493 miles.

CamsRam

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie Sport. I haven't had any major issues. Every now and again the fan motor in my drivers seat gets loud, but the dealer couldn't replicate it. Additionally, I use Waze a lot and SiriusXM and sometimes when Waze gives navigation instructions, the muted SiriusXM volume doesn't return until I unplug an plug in my phone again. I know, first world problems.

That being said, I love the truck. It is my first truck and i have over 11k miles in 9 months. When we go out and about on the weekends, I always suggest we take the truck.

The only thing i wish mine had that it doesn't is the limited slip differential and the 33 gallon tank.

The Night Edition Rams look sweet. If I had to replace my truck tomorrow, I would get the Night Edition over the Sport.

JeepCritter

Reaction score
At 53K I would test drive a Laramie. Maybe pass on options like 12" screen and night edition and you can get into nice Laramie with better interior and few more options that even a BigHorn doesn't come with. At least owe it to yourself to compare the two.
Appreciate the idea. Every time I build a laramie online, it comes out to be more for something I would want, generally 55-57K. Not sure what all that gets you over the big horn level 2 besides leather and the ambient lighting.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
This is a suggestion worthy of consideration!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029493 miles.
Agree! I love the Laramie trim level. Although by the time it was optioned the way I wanted it (8.4" screen, harmon Kardon, 18" wheels, 33 Gallon tank, no side steps, BUG) I feel like I skimped on some things like the wheels and screen size and no bedstep but the MSRP still came to $57k. Of course I had to have the surround view camera which jacked the price up. Maybe without that it could get down closer to the bighorn 53k mark.

JeepCritter

Reaction score
The only thing i wish mine had that it doesn't is the limited slip differential and the 33 gallon tank.

The Night Edition Rams look sweet. If I had to replace my truck tomorrow, I would get the Night Edition over the Sport.
I love my extended range fuel tank. I feel like it's a must for the next truck. I like both the night edition and the sport package. I'd be happy with either one, and it just depends on what color I settle on. The blue would have to be the sport pkg, but if I go with granite, i'd do the night edition.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Appreciate the idea. Every time I build a laramie online, it comes out to be more for something I would want, generally 55-57K. Not sure what all that gets you over the big horn level 2 besides leather and the ambient lighting.
Surround view camera I believe which is awesome. Memory seats. Remote release tailgate perhaps (not needed). Maybe lane assist and adaptive cruise control.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my truck for a little over a year and half, it was a pretty early build and it has been nearly perfect. I do have the groaning brakes in the cold weather and it has a number of recalls, but I am very satisfied overall. My previous truck was a 2016 Platinum F150 which had a number of annoying issues. I have the air ride and I've had no issues with it over the past two Alaska winters with temps down to -25f. I have eTorque and love the stop/start function when sitting at long stoplights.

BugGuy

Reaction score
It may or may not be an issue to you, but the gas mileage estimates on the sticker are off. You can expect about 10%-20% less gas mileage.

The Uconnect infotainment system is buggy, especially the 12" version (from what I read).

Stay away from the tow package as it deletes your power folding mirrors. Make sure you get keyless entry (so stupid to not have it on a push button start). Read the thread about "things that disappoint you most" as it gives insight into the little annoyances that could impact your decision.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...appointed-you-the-most-about-your-truck.14660

Phippy

Reaction score

Starters, memory with ventilated seats. More soft touch thru out the cabin really nice at this price. Not sure if bighorn as this but my Laramie has the seat exit option which moves driver seat back when exiting truck which was a nice surprise. Also not sure if power mirrors on BH can be dimmed for night driving. For the record my brother purchased loaded BH and those seats don't compare to my Laramie, now you can always go aftermarket Leather if needed. Also you can save $3K by going with double cab or if you prefer 6.5ft bed. Comes down to options the ones can't live without or the ones you want to brag about.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO $53k is too much for a Big Horn.

That said, I like mine a lot. It's only Level 1, and I've added a few things, but I'm still nowhere near $53k into it - closer to $45k.

It's not loaded with features, but it has all the things that are most important to me. Definitely way better equipped then a similarly priced Ford or GM.

I actually like the seats. No, they're not leather but they are made of quality material, and are not cheap looking at all.

All things being equal, of course I would prefer a Laramie Sport but honestly, I don't think I would trade it for a Laramie with chrome grill. I just flat out don't like the look.

BugGuy

Reaction score
IMO $53k is too much for a Big Horn.

That said, I like mine a lot. It's only Level 1, and I've added a few things, but I'm still nowhere near $53k into it - closer to $45k.

It's not loaded with features, but it has all the things that are most important to me. Definitely way better equipped then a similarly priced Ford or GM.

I actually like the seats. No, they're not leather but they are made of quality material, and are not cheap looking at all.

All things being equal, of course I would prefer a Laramie Sport but honestly, I don't think I would trade it for a Laramie with chrome grill. I just flat out don't like the look.

A nicely equipped Bighorn can easily be $52-$55k MSRP. Obviously, you won't pay that much for it though. Mine was around 52 MSRP.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! Solid advice! From what I have researched the E-Torque seems to be a completely different beast. It is in lieu of a normal alternator, so I can see how it can be smoother, I will have to drive one like you said! But glad to know you have not had any issues with it. I am always leery of new tech like that, but seems most kinks have been ironed out.

Yup! That is what I am looking at! So I guess I will have to deal. No biggie, but was surprised at the figures being so wide. Plus is, it is cheaper than diesel! Lol.

Those Denali's are so nice outside, but the inside's I feel are still WAY behind. They don't need a 12" screen, but come on what they put there is tiny. Ha. But yes, I am in the boat you were, nothing compares to Ram's Interior Finish out. Period. I am glad to hear yours has been trouble free! Here's to many more years and miles of that!!

Side note: I see you're in FW, any recommendation on a place for PPF & Ceramic? I am a weekend warrior with detailing. I follow a couple local ones, but wanted to know if you had experience with any? If memory serves, on one of these forum pages (I have read so many, lol), you had this done? New Image I have heard great things about, they did my friends Bentley Flying Spur and it was top-notch work, but I like to shop. Lol.
I had my PPF done by Forcefield Paint Shield in Lewisville. Kevin did a good job.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A nicely equipped Bighorn can easily be $52-$55k MSRP. Obviously, you won't pay that much for it though. Mine was around 52 MSRP.
Mine stickered for $48k I paid around $41. That was in October, 2018. At the time, it was a good deal, not great. Definitely could have done better if I waited a few months. Not sure what kind of incentives they’re offering right now, but I’m sure they’re not giving the Night Editions away..

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my Ram this past November.....I have the 5.7...3.92....tow package....4x4. Best riding truck I have ever owned. As previously mentioned....had a humming ANC problem....fixed with a download after demanding it. No leaks and the mileage is terrific. Most of our travel is two lane roads....set cruise at 55mph mostly.....I get 21 to 22 mpg. My old Chevy....2003 2500HD 6.0 4.10 rear sucked on gas. Same size fuel tank.... 26 gal......used to get about 300 miles per tank.....now.....475 or so. When we do get on freeways.....set cruise at 65mph.....getting 20 to 21 mpg consistently. I am sure higher speeds affect mileage.....I don't go fast....too old!

Users who are viewing this thread