5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New here, looking for insight on these trucks

JeepCritter

Reaction score
Stay away from the tow package as it deletes your power folding mirrors. Make sure you get keyless entry (so stupid to not have it on a push button start). Read the thread about "things that disappoint you most" as it gives insight into the little annoyances that could impact your decision.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...appointed-you-the-most-about-your-truck.14660
Well that was a scary trip through that thread. I've been around forums long enough to know that these have to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm wondering how many of those things have been addressed, if any, in the 2020.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Appreciate the idea. Every time I build a laramie online, it comes out to be more for something I would want, generally 55-57K. Not sure what all that gets you over the big horn level 2 besides leather and the ambient lighting.
If you are buying it out right I would recommend building a Laramie. You get the soft touch dash, leather interior and quite a few other upgrades. Price wise, it’s within a couple k of a bighorn. If you are leasing though, it adds about 100/month even though the stickers are similar.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that was a scary trip through that thread. I've been around forums long enough to know that these have to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm wondering how many of those things have been addressed, if any, in the 2020.
Most anything negative you heard is one-off stuff affecting very few owners. The only ones I would say are more common is complaints about the AC (not cold enough for some people) and the rear window surround crack, which seems to have happened in about the same place for those who have had it so it is probably a weak spot.

vinnrox250

Reaction score
I agree with you man! I read that thread too and have similar concerns as you. It seems the back window leak has been corrected for 2020 and beyond models, but the rest is here and there. My biggest concerns are the AC, which I am being told is subjective, but you are in a Ford, so you are accustom to frigid AC, Ram's are just mild from what I am reading, and the other concern is front leak due to bad welding apparently. Issues happen, it's just how well does the dealer/FCA address them?

vinnrox250

Reaction score
Most anything negative you heard is one-off stuff affecting very few owners. The only ones I would say are more common is complaints about the AC (not cold enough for some people) and the rear window surround crack, which seems to have happened in about the same place for those who have had it so it is probably a weak spot.
That is true, it's just on these social media & forum platform any and all issues are consolidated as people love to say whats wrong, and not as many join this forum to say how much they love their trucks. There are many that do, but the people with the issues just make you wonder how wide spread is this? And that causes doubt, even with all the good that is said.

The AC thing I have experienced on my 16 2500 Laramie diesel and it was so bad, along with other issues, I got rid of it. My 18 Limited diesel has great AC. I guess the best time to shop is peak of summer with the 100 degree temps to see how it performs lol. As it supposedly "performs as designed" from what I am reading. The rear window surround I am told has been corrected for 2020 models so sounds like FCA is fixing some stuff? Just wish they would address the leak at the front of the truck, that is what concerns me. My Laramie leaked and it was a pain, had to remove a bunch of stuff, which then gave me squeaks and rattles, etc. so I am hoping they address that fairly quickly.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with you man! I read that thread too and have similar concerns as you. It seems the back window leak has been corrected for 2020 and beyond models, but the rest is here and there. My biggest concerns are the AC, which I am being told is subjective, but you are in a Ford, so you are accustom to frigid AC, Ram's are just mild from what I am reading, and the other concern is front leak due to bad welding apparently. Issues happen, it's just how well does the dealer/FCA address them?
I'm pretty sure there has been at least a few 2020 owners complain about the rear window leaking.

Personally, I probably wouldn't let that issue be a deterrent if I was leasing though.

The AC on the other hand is a real issue. Like I stated previously, it's barely adequate. And, yes it is subjective, however after owning at least 15 vehicles in my lifetime, I can honestly say that it is the worst performing AC I have ever had.

vinnrox250

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there has been at least a few 2020 owners complain about the rear window leaking.

Personally, I probably wouldn't let that issue be a deterrent if I was leasing though.

The AC on the other hand is a real issue. Like I stated previously, it's barely adequate. And, yes it is subjective, however after owning at least 15 vehicles in my lifetime, I can honestly say that it is the worst performing AC I have ever had.
I have not see that. Thank you for the info.

Ya, on a lease it may not matter as much, as it is something dealer's and FCA are acknowledging as an issue, but still inconvenient, but there is a gentleman on here with a recurring rear window leak and is pursuing Lemon Law. So your likely 100% correct on the 2020 rear glass maybe not being resolved. My old Super Duty had a minor leak back there and it was an easy, one time, fix. The front leak seems more troublesome.

The AC issue is something I do not want again. It was awful here in Texas. If these 1500's are anything like that truck was, which couldn't cool below like 65 out of vent, set to max ac on speed 7.
I am hoping by end of year they have some resolution other than a clamp on a hose, and the other couple leak items resolved, (holding for this & maybe uconnect 5).

This forum has been awesome. I have learned so much. Much appreciated!

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Regarding the AC, my personal experience on my truck is that I always had to leave it on MAX, even when it was only moderatelty warm outside. I adjusted the fan speed based on the actual outside temperature. Measured temps at the vents were ~55 drivers side, ~50 passenger. I live in RI and it does not get anywhere near as hot as it is in TX.

vinnrox250

Reaction score
Regarding the AC, my personal experience on my truck is that I always had to leave it on MAX, even when it was only moderatelty warm outside. I adjusted the fan speed based on the actual outside temperature. Measured temps at the vents were ~55 drivers side, ~50 passenger. I live in RI and it does not get anywhere near as hot as it is in TX.
Yikes! That sucks! I am sorry man! That shouldn't be acceptable on any vehicle.

So sounds like it will be my 2500 Laramie all over. Lol. Max AC is ok, but max fan speed is annoying, it is so loud so I don't want that to be my only way to get cool option. And here in TX, max ac & fan speed did nothing on our triple digit days.

Hopefully Ram does something to remedy this for everyone, and for all new outgoing trucks. But seems like they don't care, or think it's an issue, when it seems to be the #1 con to these trucks.

JeepCritter

Reaction score
The point about leasing is valid. Anything that is not right is pretty much on them under warranty for the whole term of the lease (which is why I've never leased beyond 36 months). Bad AC is a concern for me, because in the midwest, the humidity will destroy you and you really need a good AC. I suppose the other biggest concern from that thread is the concern with connecting phones and running apps.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The point about leasing is valid. Anything that is not right is pretty much on them under warranty for the whole term of the lease (which is why I've never leased beyond 36 months). Bad AC is a concern for me, because in the midwest, the humidity will destroy you and you really need a good AC. I suppose the other biggest concern from that thread is the concern with connecting phones and running apps.
I have the base Uconnect system. I had a problem early on and my radio was replaced and since then it's been flawless. No issues connecting, Android Auto works great, voice commands, everything.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
1 year in and I’ve finally run into my first issue with my truck after 25,000 miles, the crack in the rear window trim finally developed a small leak. It will go in for a tech to confirm next Thursday. I love my Ram, came out of a 2017 Raptor for it.

Hi HeliPilot,

If you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message.

Mark
RamCares

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had no issues at all connecting my Android with Android Auto. It works really well. I have the 8.4" screen. As for the AC I live in the southern mountains (TN) and I found the AC perfectly fine. Doesn't blow out of the vent as instantly cold as some other vehicles I've had but 10 minutes into it I have to turn the AC down because it's freezing me out, no different than my Titan was. There's a video test on here a couple guys with a 150 and a Ram, let their trucks get to some obscene temperature in the sun with the sunroof exposed and then ran their AC until they got below 70 degrees air temperature. The Ford won but only by a minute or two, even though the Ford had much lower vent temperatures, which suggests to me the Ram is better at circulating the mass of air which will feel warmer the more of it you're moving. So if you want freezer air blowing on you, you'll have to get another vehicle or do the clamp thing. If all you care about is being comfortable I doubt you'll have any problem whatsoever. I like things on the cold side and I haven't noticed my truck having any problems cooling me down all last year, and I typically use the AC from about early May until late October.

JeepCritter

Reaction score
I have the base Uconnect system. I had a problem early on and my radio was replaced and since then it's been flawless. No issues connecting, Android Auto works great, voice commands, everything.
I had to have it replaced in my 300 a few times. They put the wrong one in once. Worst part was every single time, I had to spend a half hour on the phone with Sirius to get them to switch my free trial period to the new radio. It really sucked.

JeepCritter

Reaction score
Here's what I built online, with the exception of the 12 in uconnect, because Ram's website doesn't show it as an option, but having seen 2 big horns with this screen, I know it's offered. List price is $50,720, and then add approx. $2000 for the 12 inch.

POWERTRAIN

5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine $1,495

8-Speed Automatic 8HP75 Transmission

Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle $495

3.21 Rear Axle Ratio

33-Gallon Fuel Tank $445

PACKAGES

Big Horn Level 2 Equipment Group $2,500

Night Edition $1,995

Bed Utility Group $845

Premium Lighting Group $995

Black Side-Steps $695

Multi-Function Tailgate $995

9-Amplified Speakers with Subwoofer $595

Rear Underseat Compartment Storage $125

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here's what I built online, with the exception of the 12 in uconnect, because Ram's website doesn't show it as an option, but having seen 2 big horns with this screen, I know it's offered. List price is $50,720, and then add approx. $2000 for the 12 inch.

POWERTRAIN

3.21 Rear Axle Ratio

33-Gallon Fuel Tank $445

PACKAGES

Night Edition $1,995

Bed Utility Group $845

Black Side-Steps $695

Nice build. Although not necessary I wish I had thrown in the block heater for $95 on my order. I find the Ram 5.7 chugs gas when cold and the heater will get the cab warm that much faster.

BugGuy

Reaction score

POWERTRAIN

3.21 Rear Axle Ratio

33-Gallon Fuel Tank $445

PACKAGES

Night Edition $1,995

Bed Utility Group $845

Black Side-Steps $695

Very solid build. What color??

JeepCritter

Reaction score
Very solid build. What color??
I would go with Granite. That was the color on my 300, and it's a great paint color. I wish they did Night edition on the Patriot Blue, but they don't, so Granite would be the option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online