5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Here. 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie (less than a week).

admmck

Reaction score
First Ram (Dodge) in about 20 years. Glad to be back.

I have interest in upgrading the center stack from 8.4 non-nav to a 12 inch version with or without nav (Android Auto?). I am also interested in upgrading/adding adaptable cruise control.

I am interested in all things Ram currently. I have read several posts regarding these topics. Looks like great member participation!

Loudram

Reaction score
Welcome, IMHO if you have Android Auto the onboard Nav is a waste of money. I'll never use mine because of AA. Google Maps is always up to date.

admmck

Reaction score
Welcome, IMHO if you have Android Auto the onboard Nav is a waste of money. I'll never use mine because of AA. Google Maps is always up to date.
This is my first vehicle with Android Auto. I'm still getting used to it. But realized, as you mentioned, I probably don't need navigation with the Android Auto. Especially since it is wireless, it's really convenient! My first experience with AA wasn't that impressive a few years ago, but this seems so much more intuitive now.

I would still like to upgrade the dash to the 12-in screen.

admmck

Reaction score
One week old and took her on her first road trip to Utah snowboarding! Tinted the windows already and put a Bak Flip tri-fold on the back the night before! Kept all the rain and snow out impeccably. The kids loved all the room in the back.

I just really want to add ACC really bad, especially after the trip. Any ideas? 2022 Laramie 5.7 4x4, Uconnect 5 8.4 in screen (which I really like actually). Android Auto looks super sharp on it (I was very pleasantly surprised).

20230102_111913 (1).jpg

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One week old and took her on her first road trip to Utah snowboarding! Tinted the windows already and put a Bak Flip tri-fold on the back the night before! Kept all the rain and snow out impeccably. The kids loved all the room in the back.

I just really want to add ACC really bad, especially after the trip. Any ideas? 2022 Laramie 5.7 4x4, Uconnect 5 8.4 in screen (which I really like actually). Android Auto looks super sharp on it (I was very pleasantly surprised).

View attachment 148631
Do you already have FCW and lane keep assist? If so, it's pretty easy to add ACC. Just swap out the abs module, controller and add the steering wheel switches. Bleed brakes and program with AlfaOBD.

admmck

Reaction score
Do you already have FCW and lane keep assist? If so, it's pretty easy to add ACC. Just swap out the abs module, controller and add the steering wheel switches. Bleed brakes and program with AlfaOBD.
I do not think I have lane assist. I have the parking sensors for parking (front and rear). Is the FCW located in the upper windshield hardware? I believe my RAM has the windshield hardware already?

admmck

Reaction score

Thanks, and I agree after going on a 2k mile road trip with the wireless Android Auto. It's very nice!

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do not think I have lane assist. I have the parking sensors for parking (front and rear). Is the FCW located in the upper windshield hardware? I believe my RAM has the windshield hardware already?
If you have lane keep assist or forward-collision warning, you'd have the necessary hardware in front of the rear-view mirror for ACC. You can also tell by the shape of the masked area on the windshield behind the plastic cover. There's a v-shaped notch on the bottom of it if you have the necessary equipment.

The parking sensors are not part of ACC.

If yours looks like this, you don't have it.

If it looks like this, you have it.
1673657184707.png

admmck

Reaction score
If you have lane keep assist or forward-collision warning, you'd have the necessary hardware in front of the rear-view mirror for ACC. You can also tell by the shape of the masked area on the windshield behind the plastic cover. There's a v-shaped notch on the bottom of it if you have the necessary equipment.

The parking sensors are not part of ACC.

If yours looks like this, you don't have it.

If it looks like this, you have it.
View attachment 148782

cskindt

Thank you for the reply @cskindt. I really appreciate! I am assuming the housing was removed for easier viewing of the hardware in that picture? Anyway, I will check mine and post what I have. Hopefully that will aid in my quest to add ACC.

Is there a scenario where the hardware for lane assist and FCW is there, but the software isn't programmed or included (which could be my case)? Maybe due to a chip shortage issue?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I had the cover off while installing the digital rear view mirror.
You can see the V-shaped notch in the mask on the windshield.

I don't know why the hardware would be installed if you didn't have any features that required it. Possible, but unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread