5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New guy, looking for advice!

Run91

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Figured i'd join this forum looking for some advice from experienced individuals.
I'm currently driving a 2011 silverado 1500 LT 5.3L CC 4x2, currently have 170k miles on it, good truck just outdated, and starting to show its age.
Figured i'd look into the new silverado/sierra and the ram with all the bells and whistles.
the silverado/sierra are extremely bland IMO.

Few days ago i test drove a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel.
gorgeous truck inside and out, awesome ride and all.
But that turbo lag is terrifying, once its rolling its good though.

Any reason why you chose the ram over the silverado/sierra?
Any reason why the 5.7 over the ED (or vice versa)
Since i drive 17-20k miles a year would the ED be a good idea? I rarely ever tow, more so for fuel economy
Also, would it be better to grab a 2020 or are there significant changes for 2021?

Thanks in advance!

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I’m sure guys that have the Eco-Diesels will chime in, and you can also look in the powertrain section of the form to get more information. This is just my opinion, but I would steer clear of the Eco-Diesel for the time being. I’m sure you’re aware of the issues that plagued the second generation of the engine, and it sounds like there might be some guys out there that are beginning to have issues with the new (current) third generation. I’d give it some time for Ram to (hopefully) get any bugs worked out since it’s only in its first year.

That being said, you can’t go wrong with the Hemi. It’s a tried and true power plant and is reliable. The Hemi obviously won’t get the same gas mileage as the diesel, but you can still get decent mileage. Add the 33-gal tank and there’s guys getting almost 700 miles out of a single tank (all depends on MPG).

Nobody knows as of yet what changes the 2021 model is going to be. I don’t think there’s going to be any huge changes. Maybe some new options/packages/colors. It appears dealers can order 2021 trucks right now, but the available options are limited. If you’re looking to buy right now, there are deals to be had on the 2020’s.

Comparing the Ram to the GM twins, I’d say they’re both decent trucks. Obviously the Ram’s interior blows the competition away, but the GM twins are supposedly getting redesigned interiors for 2021, similar to the new Suburbans/Yukon’s. So it’ll be interesting to see what GM brings to the table.

Last edited:

RAM5

Reaction score
I’ve never been a Silverado fan. I have always been partial to Ford and Dodge trucks, so I cant compair my experiences with a Silverado.

i can say that Ram trucks have come a long, long way in reliability, drive ability, performance, gas mileage, comfort features and overall grunt! .

i purchased my 2019 Ram Tradesman in 2019 and have been extremely extreamly happy with all this truck gives me every day for work, family and towing use. The 5.7 Hemi...is an outstanding legendary eigneered powerhouse!

good Luck!

lots of very knowledge members on this forum that will offer their opinions. I’m just a 56 yr old gear head.

Cudapower

Reaction score
I ordered a 2019 Laramie 1500, Hemi, air suspension, 392 gears as I pull a trailer 80% of the time. This is my 4th Ram and it is the best truck I have ever owned. My brother has driven GMC trucks but has had the last two have transmission trouble that seems to be unfixable. Rough shifts and jerking at low speeds. He traded for a Ford only because Ram does not have power fold towing mirrors on the 1/2 ton. His next truck will be a Ram. If you don't tow full time a Hemi should be plenty adequate. I pull a 30ft camping trailer with mine just fine. With 3.92 gears and not driviing rammy I get 19-20mpg. The 3.21 gears would do you just fine and would get 1-2 more mpg. The extra cost of a diesel and higher cost maintenance just does not justify it for me, and I pull a 30ft camper and a 26ft enclosed car trailer full of car a lot of miles. Love my air suspension its the best truck ride on the road. My wife would rather ride in my truck all the time verses taking her 2 year old Nissan Murano, Since Ram has a winner I dont think the 2021 trucks will change hardly at all. Dodge/Ram was rated no. 1 in initial buyer quality for 2020 so far.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was a die-hard GMC Sierra Denali guy...had two of them. The GMC AT4 caught my eye and decided I had enough Sierra Denali's and I liked the look of the AT4 better...factory 2" lift kit, not a lot of chrome, and a HOT looking truck IMPO. Came real close to pulling the trigger but decided the interior of the $65K truck was the same as the $25K Silverado and Sierra. Very dated...all plastic and horrible looking. I looked at the RAM about 4 different times and decided that the RAM was the best looking...best interior...awesome HEMI engine and bought my very first RAM product. Purchased mid-February 2018 and not a single problem. I love this truck and will either trade it in for a 2022 TRX or the new all electric RIVIAN R1T. Ford...FINALLY, has updated their interior to get closer to RAM status for 2021 but I am not a big FORD fan.

Last edited:

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Figured i'd join this forum looking for some advice from experienced individuals.
I'm currently driving a 2011 silverado 1500 LT 5.3L CC 4x2, currently have 170k miles on it, good truck just outdated, and starting to show its age.
Figured i'd look into the new silverado/sierra and the ram with all the bells and whistles.

Since i drive 17-20k miles a year would the ED be a good idea? I rarely ever tow, more so for fuel economy
Also, would it be better to grab a 2020 or are there significant changes for 2021?

Thanks in advance!
I think a good compromise for your situation would be the E-Torque option. Its a Hemi with a couple more mpg’s.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I came from a 2014 silverado and the trucks are night and day different. The chevy is a basic work truck, even in the higher trim models it has that feel to it. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want a modern, good looking, supremely comfortable vehicle, then the Ram is the way to go. Just did a 3,600 mile road trip with the wife and kid in the truck and I would get back in and go another 3,600 if I needed to. Best riding truck out there IMO

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I'll try not to repeat some of the information you were given but since I cross-shopped both I'll give you my perspective. I haven't bought yet but I have ruled out the Sierra.

1) Sierra interior is just so far behind the competition that I couldn't bring myself to spend in the $60s for a 1990 interior. I saw what the 2021 Tahoe interior looks like and that is what GMC is planning to upgrade the Sierra with and it's a very MINOR improvement in my opinion. Think 2000s interior.

2) Steer away from the ECD for this reason...money. Even at 20K/yr, you'll NEVER make your money back. It's a $3K premium over the eTorque which carries a $200 premium over the regular VVT V-8 HEMI. The turbolag is terrible (test drove one) but that can be fixed with a pedal commander as you'll see those who swear by here say. That said, the towing capabilities are less than an eTorque HEMI or regular HEMI quite a bit and so there is literally no reason to buy an ED other than "because I want to". Most people who buy Diesels do so for more capable towing and better MPG but in the 1500s case, it tows less and you'll never recoup your investment (DEF, higher mx costs, much higher initial purchase price).

3) I just posted in another thread (buy now or wait) but I would wait for the 2021s and you can see my logic in that thread but suffice it to say the rebates are terrible and you're instantly buying a one year old vehicle and taking a much higher depreciation hit without the big incentives you usually see this time of year to offset that.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think a good compromise for your situation would be the E-Torque option. Its a Hemi with a couple more mpg’s.
I've said it before and I'll say it again...as an etorque owner, I can tell you that you won't see better fuel economy with it unless most of your driving is city. It does nothing to help highway mpg's. I got better fuel economy with my 2017 Rebel w/hemi than I'm seeing in my 2020 Laramie etorque hemi. Most of my driving is on the highway.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again...as an etorque owner, I can tell you that you won't see better fuel economy with it unless most of your driving is city. It does nothing to help highway mpg's. I got better fuel economy with my 2017 Rebel w/hemi than I'm seeing in my 2020 Laramie etorque hemi. Most of my driving is on the highway.
Exactly why I never considered an etorque when making my purchase. Hybrid-type powertrains only do well in CITY driving.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
I’ve always been a Silverado guy and loved them all. However like everyone else can’t see paying what they want for a new dated truck. So I bought a 19 ram. I have the 5.7 etorque with the 3.92. I’d stay away from the Ed. If your mainly driving highway and not pulling much, I’d get the hemi non etorque. It will not help your mpg at all on the highway. Also go with the 3.21 gears to gain 1-2 mpg on the highway. I’ve had problems with my ram and I’m very dissatisfied. It will be traded in 3 years, 36,000 miles and never a ram for me again for me. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Yogi217

Reaction score
I found the regular hemi, even with 3.21 gearing, to feel more powerful than the 5.3 chevy/sierra engine. And the interior is just such a pleasure to sit in as a driver or passenger. The flat bottom/floor in the crew cab is awesome too.

I was going between the chevy and ram and settled on the ram as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I found the regular hemi, even with 3.21 gearing, to feel more powerful than the 5.3 chevy/sierra engine. And the interior is just such a pleasure to sit in as a driver or passenger. The flat bottom/floor in the crew cab is awesome too.

Well “settling” would have been going for the Sierra ;)

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I guess I'm the odd man out....I "settled " for the ecodiesel :rolleyes: . Actually..., I chose the ED specifically because I wanted one and make no mistake, I'm quite happy with it at this point especially the awesome torque and fuel economy . I haven't experienced any problems and 27 mpg mixed fuel mileage is a plus. Buy whatever best fits your needs or wants....after all, it's your dime !

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I guess I'm the odd man out....I "settled " for the ecodiesel :rolleyes: . Actually..., I chose the ED specifically because I wanted one and make no mistake, I'm quite happy with it at this point especially the awesome torque and fuel economy . I haven't experienced any problems and 27 mpg mixed fuel mileage is a plus. Buy whatever best fits your needs or wants....after all, it's your dime !

Well you paid a $4999 premium over the standard V-6 so you definitely didn’t settle lol. Unfortunately the MPG benefit of the ED is negated by the premium you pay for the ED so you’re paying for it every month with interest or you paid all up front cash but the ED makes no financial sense as the cost more than negated the MPG benefit.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes, the hemi definitely has more power than the 5.3 Chevy. But that 5.3 is a dam good engine imo!

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I purchased what I wanted regardless of the overall cost ownership. I have owned several diesels in the past, 3 cummins, 2 duramaxs and 2 power strokes...none of those really made financial sense to me either.;)

Yogi217

Reaction score
Well “settling” would have been going for the Sierra ;)
Lol. Ok, poor choice of words. I didn't settle and neither should anyone else!!!
Yes, the hemi definitely has more power than the 5.3 Chevy. But that 5.3 is a dam good engine imo!
Yes, I thought the 5.3 was good, and would have been acceptable if I couldn't find the ram I wanted. I could feel the difference with the hemi though

Users who are viewing this thread