5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New General Grabbers, first impressions, and why

Benca101

Reaction score
The Duratracs on my 2020 Rebel were, by all metrics, excellent. And let me tell you.. I really beat the heck out of 'em. 41,000 miles and 2 were bald.

Doing my research I also found out that Duratracs are OLD - designed in 2009 with zero revisions. Apparently many new tires are better. One of the more common issues with the Duratrac is that the sidewalls are un-reinforced, which can lead to sidewall failure. I never had any problem. But I don't want to buy an old tire for $1500 a set. Goodyear is releasing an updated version of this tire by the way, not sure when.

I do as much hunting as I can, so I do a good bit of off-roading but, after my near-death, pants soiling experience keeping up with Jeeps in the desert, I don't off road for roading's sake, it's to get somewhere where I can murder a beautiful animal. Going off road is common, but incidental. I just need good enough traction and durability, preferably 3 peaks rated (for snow).

Anyway, maybe you're in my bucket. Posting here because everyone is all about the wildest tires, when they often don't make sense. Maybe you're more like me than not. You know, practical. Handsome. Smart.

I want an all-terrain tire that is more highway focused.

Apparently you got 2 to choose from that are all-terrain, but leans more highway: Toyo Open Country, $375 a pop, and the General Grabber at $290 a pop. Because I'm a regular working guy, I went with General.

Two big first impressions:

1. Dead silence. We'll see how long they stay silent..
2. Much nicer ride. Very noticeable. Felt like I was floating over the road.

I'll update again, big storm coming in, turkey hunting in March. Curious to see how my mileage is impacted.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
41k miles and bald? You considered that good?
Legit question

I have used General Grabbers before on my Expedition and they were great tires.

Benca101

Reaction score
41k miles and bald? You considered that good?
Legit question

I have used General Grabbers before on my Expedition and they were great tires.
oh dude, I beat the hell out of them. I did things on those tires I won't be doing again.. that's for sure.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Duratracs on my 2020 Rebel were, by all metrics, excellent. And let me tell you.. I really beat the heck out of 'em. 41,000 miles and 2 were bald.

Doing my research I also found out that Duratracs are OLD - designed in 2009 with zero revisions. Apparently many new tires are better. One of the more common issues with the Duratrac is that the sidewalls are un-reinforced, which can lead to sidewall failure. I never had any problem. But I don't want to buy an old tire for $1500 a set. Goodyear is releasing an updated version of this tire by the way, not sure when.

I do as much hunting as I can, so I do a good bit of off-roading but, after my near-death, pants soiling experience keeping up with Jeeps in the desert, I don't off road for roading's sake, it's to get somewhere where I can murder a beautiful animal. Going off road is common, but incidental. I just need good enough traction and durability, preferably 3 peaks rated (for snow).

Anyway, maybe you're in my bucket. Posting here because everyone is all about the wildest tires, when they often don't make sense. Maybe you're more like me than not. You know, practical. Handsome. Smart.

I want an all-terrain tire that is more highway focused.

Apparently you got 2 to choose from that are all-terrain, but leans more highway: Toyo Open Country, $375 a pop, and the General Grabber at $290 a pop. Because I'm a regular working guy, I went with General.

Two big first impressions:

1. Dead silence. We'll see how long they stay silent..
2. Much nicer ride. Very noticeable. Felt like I was floating over the road.

I'll update again, big storm coming in, turkey hunting in March. Curious to see how my mileage is impacted.
There is more than one style of General Grabber. Which one did you get? I'm running Radar Renegade AT-Pro and have been very happy with them.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s a third choice…which is the direction I went. Yokohama Geolander AT G015. Quiet on the highway, great on the asphalt in rain and snow, and handled impressively with the mild off pavement that I travel such as fire roads, work sites and gravel. And they can be had for ~$260(LT275/70r18) each. With my size LT285/65r20, they were more pocket friendly than the Generals. IMG_9401.jpeg

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I paid $277 per tire for 35x12.50r20 for my Radars

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I paid $277 per tire for 35x12.50r20 for my Radars
Nice deal! I got my G015’s for ~$1350 with alignment. I looked into the Radars. They are nice looking but I couldn’t find alot of reviews on them at the time.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is more than one style of General Grabber. Which one did you get? I'm running Radar Renegade AT-Pro and have been very happy with them.
Do you have the load e ir f (10or12 ply) I’m trying to wrap my head around what those numbers and load ranges mean

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's good to hear about General. Please post any snow or heavy rain experience you have. I drive my Ram when the forecast is bad and cars when it is nice out.

I just ordered Wildpeak AT4s from Discount Tire. The Firestones I have now served well for 47k. They still have life left but seem to not grip as well now that they are getting low. If it were summer, I would milk them more. Hopefully the WPs are as good as I have read. Never used them before.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My tires say 115T
115=load 2679 lbs
T= up to 112 mph
I also see they're listed as "SL" which means standard load capacity at full psi which is 36 psi.

I'm not sure about "ply." I think they're 4 ply.

Benca101

Reaction score

That one! Stormed all day, and I like them even more now. But, I know all too well, let's see where they're at in 20,000 miles.

Benca101

Reaction score
There’s a third choice…which is the direction I went. Yokohama Geolander AT G015. Quiet on the highway, great on the asphalt in rain and snow, and handled impressively with the mild off pavement that I travel such as fire roads, work sites and gravel. And they can be had for ~$260(LT275/70r18) each. With my size LT285/65r20, they were more pocket friendly than the Generals.
Yup! Smart, good choice, and it's also 3 peaks rated.

I saw those, they're $14 less than the grabbers, so it's not a big savings, and I felt better with a more aggressive tread. BUT! Only because I will tow, on occasion, a trailer or a boat over miles of dirt road that can get washed out on occasion. basically, I felt like a slightly more aggressive tire would be of benefit. If I did NOT do some of these things, I think the Gelander would be perfect.

Benca101

Reaction score
I've had the AT3 and ATx? On previous trucks with only good things to say. However, Wildpeak AT3W has still been my favorite.
It is rated as one of the best all-terrain tires you can buy right now.

The general grabber has some modifications making it more highway friendly, slightly less weight, and a propietary layer under the tread for cushioning.
Which is my point actually: what are you doing, and what's best for you. I realized that even though I will - on occasion - challenge my tires (and my sanity) - I still have to drive upwards of hundreds of highway miles to get there. So I thought, what the hell, I'll try this one out.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I went from E range DuraTracs to bigger, but lighter E range Bridgestone Revo3’s, it felt like taking off ski boots and putting on running shoes.

I’ve likewise learned to buy a tire for the 95% use case, and it hasn’t let me down yet in the other 5% cases for hunting, camping or snow.

Users who are viewing this thread