5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New exhaust

19TXLimited

Reaction score
It will not void the warranty as it’s just a muffler swap. anything that messes with the catalytic converters will void warranty, but muffler and resonators shouldn’t.

RebelRammer

Reaction score
Dang I though carven had the full catback. But wouldnt removing the cats really void some kinda warranty? If so not going that route lol. I actually think I'm gonna go back with a flowmaster super 40 muffler I had that on my 2012 it sounded great even with the resonators still on. I'm going to the shop this afternoon and gonna have them let me listen to the super 10 and super 40 flowmaster. And ima go from there

i just hung up with Brian at Aces/Pasedena about the same set up - Borla exhaust mod only (axle back). Did they make you right? I am in houston and would love to hear your truck to see if can get away just the axle back or need to pony up to the cat back?

19TXLimited

Reaction score
i just hung up with Brian at Aces/Pasedena about the same set up - Borla exhaust mod only (axle back). Did they make you right? I am in houston and would love to hear your truck to see if can get away just the axle back or need to pony up to the cat back?

I'd also like to hear this setup. Seems it may be something worth looking into. Muffler can be purchased under $250 on Amazon with free 1-day shipping. Not sure what an exhaust shop would charge to put it in and remove resonators. I'm assuming $50?

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Did anyone ever figure out if the Borla 400844 is the muffler that was put on this truck? If so, looks like they also have the S-Type available at the same price Borla 400843.

Thanks!

RebelRammer

Reaction score
Did anyone ever figure out if the Borla 400844 is the muffler that was put on this truck? If so, looks like they also have the S-Type available at the same price Borla 400843.

Thanks!
Yes - Aces said it is the 400844 (ATAK) - i am leaning toward resonator delete and atak. They quoted $400 plus Tax which is quite a bit less than the kit which is $1100 plus.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes - Aces said it is the 400844 (ATAK) - i am leaning toward resonator delete and atak. They quoted $400 plus Tax which is quite a bit less than the kit which is $1100 plus.
I got my ATAK cat-back from Jegs with Black tips for $944, so a little less than the $1100 you mentioned.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
$944 is a bit too pricey for an exhaust on a truck for me personally. I wouldn't bat an eye spending that on a Borla system for my previous Camaro...which I did and loved the system. I am just not seeing it being worth $944 for a sound increase and possible 1mpg. I would however spend a total of under $1k for exhaust and intake (Vararam) only for the hope that mpg would increase and sound would be amazing with minimal to no drone. Of course, this may all be me living in a dream world, but I think it would be possible. This setup seems to be had for $400, so all in with the intake for $730 or so is pretty good. Could also head the more custom route I've discussed in a couple of my own threads and end around 500-550 for exhaust and 880 total.

RebelRammer

Reaction score
$944 is a bit too pricey for an exhaust on a truck for me personally. I wouldn't bat an eye spending that on a Borla system for my previous Camaro...which I did and loved the system. I am just not seeing it being worth $944 for a sound increase and possible 1mpg. I would however spend a total of under $1k for exhaust and intake (Vararam) only for the hope that mpg would increase and sound would be amazing with minimal to no drone. Of course, this may all be me living in a dream world, but I think it would be possible. This setup seems to be had for $400, so all in with the intake for $730 or so is pretty good. Could also head the more custom route I've discussed in a couple of my own threads and end around 500-550 for exhaust and 880 total.

I went ahead and did the Borla ATAK (400844) with resonator delete. Cost was $400 pus tax.
Take-a-ways:
1. It sounds great - has a low rumble at idle but rasp upper RPM and with some crackle available.
2. Its loud - this is a daily driver and might be a little too loud but time will tell if I get tired of it or not. I dont know if i would call it drone but i can hear it inside at almost all RPM.
3. Its a lot fun !
4. The sound can be managed in the neighborhood but cold starts are loud. I have her in the garage so cold starts are not a problem for me.
5. Appears i have gained some MPG - maybe 1-2 MPG
6. I could have installed with the resonators in place but decided to go all in - I should have listened to it with the resonators in place while at the shop.
7. I understand why people go with the S-Type but i didn't want to lose any raspiness -
8. MDS is not good with this set-up. I used the gear limit control to turn it off.

Video comming soon but vids never sound the same.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the sound will grow on you, I’ve had mine for a couple weeks now and was a little concerned about how loud it was initially but absolutely love it more each day. I don’t have no crackle you describe, mine is just a nice deep throaty sound.

beta379

Reaction score
I went ahead and did the Borla ATAK (400844) with resonator delete. Cost was $400 pus tax.
Take-a-ways:
1. It sounds great - has a low rumble at idle but rasp upper RPM and with some crackle available.
2. Its loud - this is a daily driver and might be a little too loud but time will tell if I get tired of it or not. I dont know if i would call it drone but i can hear it inside at almost all RPM.
3. Its a lot fun !
4. The sound can be managed in the neighborhood but cold starts are loud. I have her in the garage so cold starts are not a problem for me.
5. Appears i have gained some MPG - maybe 1-2 MPG
6. I could have installed with the resonators in place but decided to go all in - I should have listened to it with the resonators in place while at the shop.
7. I understand why people go with the S-Type but i didn't want to lose any raspiness -
8. MDS is not good with this set-up. I used the gear limit control to turn it off.

Video comming soon but vids never sound the same.

What is MDS?

I think i'm going to have to go with the S-Type from your comments on the Atak. I also think the drone/humming is reduced with the full kit as pipe lengths and bends all affect resonating. Mine will be a daily driver so I don't want that constant noise on long trips and daily.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is MDS?

I think i'm going to have to go with the S-Type from your comments on the Atak. I also think the drone/humming is reduced with the full kit as pipe lengths and bends all affect resonating. Mine will be a daily driver so I don't want that constant noise on long trips and daily.
MDS = Multi Displacement System, cuts half the cylinders off and has been known to cause drone/sound issues with various types of aftermarket exhaust systems. I have no drone or sound issues with my system.

beta379

Reaction score
MDS = Multi Displacement System, cuts half the cylinders off and has been known to cause drone/sound issues with various types of aftermarket exhaust systems. I have no drone or sound issues with my system.
I am thinking of just going with the Borla S-type as Atak may be too much. How did you get the Atak from Jeg's for $944? The show over $1k depending on tips.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am thinking of just going with the Borla S-type as Atak may be too much. How did you get the Atak from Jeg's for $944? The show over $1k depending on tips.
They have discounts on depending how much you spend so you’ll get $100 off.

RebelRammer

Reaction score
What is MDS?

MDS = multi displacement system. Effectively reduces number of cylinders under light load conditions. ECO may be displayed when engaged if you have elected to have it displayed in settings.

I think you may be on to something regarding full kit vs custom install. I would love to ride in one with full kit to hear the difference. I daily drive and now spend considerable time with radio low or off to hear the exhaust while in town but on the highway I wish it was a bit quieter.

Good luck and I am sure you will like the S-type if you go that route.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Borla also has a resonator that can be added to the cat-back kit if you find it too loud.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
MDS = multi displacement system. Effectively reduces number of cylinders under light load conditions. ECO may be displayed when engaged if you have elected to have it displayed in settings.

I think you may be on to something regarding full kit vs custom install. I would love to ride in one with full kit to hear the difference. I daily drive and now spend considerable time with radio low or off to hear the exhaust while in town but on the highway I wish it was a bit quieter.

Good luck and I am sure you will like the S-type if you go that route.

Rebel, were you able to grab a video of the exhaust?

Clayssport

Reaction score
I just did the borla pro xs muffler(100cad) and resonator delete. Plenty loud and sounds much deeper than my super44 on my 17 ram. Happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread