5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New engine being installed on my Big Horn

Grover70

Reaction score
Long story short: Brought my 2020 Ram Big Horn in for inspection post-purchase on Carvana. Discovered the exhaust manifold was cracked on the passenger side. They removed a bolt on the manifold to begin replacement and coolant came out and the bolt was not screwed in, but just fell out. Now both manifolds appeared to need replacement. They could not finish the work and we took it to a very reputable garage and found that the cylinder head needed replacement. The mechanic recommended both cylinder heads, but ideally....a whole new engine. The engine has 100k on it btw. The insurance company (truck is under warranty) sent out an inspector to confirm the evaluation by two mechanics. Insurance agreed and approved $8k for a whole new engine with 3yr/100k warranty. My deductible: $100.

It's like getting a "new" 2020 Ram. They also got a stipulation from the warranty company that if they discover any other parts needing replacement, it would be covered. Almost like a blank check! This kind of blessing rarely happens in the world of used vehicles.

So, with that in mind, what questions should I be asking before/when I pick up the truck? What should I inspect/test? It's like heart surgery. What should I be looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wishing you the best plus luck.

I am at 10 weeks plus at a dealership with the "lifetime" warranty from Ram. No reply from my "service adviser" via an email sent the other day. Talked to Ram Cares yesterday, received a "new" adviser which said it will take 1 to 2 business days to get back to me.

Reached out via phone for warranty coverage about a rental and finally got through to Milak with a bad connection and he hung up.

At that point had enough of "Ram" and had to get some work done.

Beginning to understand why it is called "Ram". The "lifetime" is good till I die. Beginning to think that Stellantis is waiting me out to satisfy the contract. Lucky for me I have longevity genes in my DNA.

Hey Stellantis, what do you think is a reasonable time to replace a motor under warranty?

Grover70

Reaction score
In my situation, the warranty is through Silver Rock. The garage was thrilled when they heard that. Said they work with them frequently and they are no-hassle. The day the inspector came out, a week ago today, they authorized and ordered the engine. I checked on Tuesday and the engine had already arrived. The mechanic said that once they had a bay open, they would begin the 30 hour work.

I used to own a '18 Ford F150 that I traded for this Ram, and I see Ford must use the Ram playbook. I was lucky and bought an extended warranty on my F150 which covered the whole cam-phaser replacement six years after purchase for $3k. Ford wouldn't even return my calls when I tried to get them to cover the warped dashboard and the peeling paint on the roof and hood on my '18 F150 after only 2 years.

Poor service is not endemic to Ram by any stretch. Third party warranties have been very good to me.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In my situation, the warranty is through Silver Rock. The garage was thrilled when they heard that. Said they work with them frequently and they are no-hassle. The day the inspector came out, a week ago today, they authorized and ordered the engine. I checked on Tuesday and the engine had already arrived. The mechanic said that once they had a bay open, they would begin the 30 hour work.

I used to own a '18 Ford F150 that I traded for this Ram, and I see Ford must use the Ram playbook. I was lucky and bought an extended warranty on my F150 which covered the whole cam-phaser replacement six years after purchase for $3k. Ford wouldn't even return my calls when I tried to get them to cover the warped dashboard and the peeling paint on the roof and hood on my '18 F150 after only 2 years.

Poor service is not endemic to Ram by any stretch. Third party warranties have been very good to me.
I tended to think that I would be better off with a Ram warranty. I am wrong.

Glad to hear that things are moving along.

Users who are viewing this thread