5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New engine being installed on my Big Horn

Grover70

Reaction score
Long story short: Brought my 2020 Ram Big Horn in for inspection post-purchase on Carvana. Discovered the exhaust manifold was cracked on the passenger side. They removed a bolt on the manifold to begin replacement and coolant came out and the bolt was not screwed in, but just fell out. Now both manifolds appeared to need replacement. They could not finish the work and we took it to a very reputable garage and found that the cylinder head needed replacement. The mechanic recommended both cylinder heads, but ideally....a whole new engine. The engine has 100k on it btw. The insurance company (truck is under warranty) sent out an inspector to confirm the evaluation by two mechanics. Insurance agreed and approved $8k for a whole new engine with 3yr/100k warranty. My deductible: $100.

It's like getting a "new" 2020 Ram. They also got a stipulation from the warranty company that if they discover any other parts needing replacement, it would be covered. Almost like a blank check! This kind of blessing rarely happens in the world of used vehicles.

So, with that in mind, what questions should I be asking before/when I pick up the truck? What should I inspect/test? It's like heart surgery. What should I be looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread