5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW BUYERS BEWARE - SERVICE FROM RAM ON THESE VEHICLES IS TERRIBLE !!!! THEY KEEP YOU WAITING TO MAKE A DECISION TO REPAIR !!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, there were Ferds that had issues that took weeks and weeks to resolve reported on their forums.
As you said, the dealership can “own” or eat all the time and parts if Ferd denies the claim. Since the service department is a profit center and is responsible to show a profit, its manager is under the gun there to the owner.
Now if an owner thought about all the good or ill will that great or poor service generates, along with the power of social media, he might approach things differently.
As a former field rep. myself I was witness to too many dealers that were more interested in the front end of the store. I think there is still some of that mentality around today. Contractually, dealers must maintain a service department with factory trained technicians and a mandatory tool inventory. The parts department must maintain a specific inventory of select items. Some dealer/owners look upon the service end of the business as an unwanted requirement and not as an asset. Some dealers feel that if they sell you a car and never come back, that's fine with them. They make more money on used cars anyway.

Fortunately that doesn't apply to all dealers. And when the pandemic hit many were glad that they had a service department to pay the gas and electric bills, at least.

It is a tough business nowadays. There are pressures from the company, regulatory pressures, staffing pressures, and pressures from customers.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 039419 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread