5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 4play wheels for me... need some help

shurik74

Reaction score
Happy holidays for everyone here!!! It's my second time when I want to upgrade wheels, i'm not very skilled with details though. First time was a Lexus where I gathered all info from a forum. I know that I can find info here but don't have much time to spend poking around. I would like to get your opinions and experience before I pull a trigger for not cheap wheels.

Does anyone know someone or know how to get extra discount? just trying :p

My concerns/questions would be:
- how much mgp decrease I should expect
- noise increase / ride quality vs stock
- towing capacity

My truck:
- 2020 Ram Longhorn 6.4 bed
- Air suspension
- Hemi 5.7L
- Everything is stock, no mods have been done

New wheels:
- 4PLAY
- 4P80 model
- size 22x10
- tires 33x12.5x22 Nitto Grappers

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The weight, width, and rolling resistance will be big contributors to your mpg loss. With my setup, each wheel/tire is 83lbs total. The width is 11.2”, and the rolling resistance is moderate-high. With my hemi I just traded in, I lost 4mpg while driving normally and I could eek that to between 2-2.5 if I drove like a granny. I haven’t tested the ecodiesel with them yet as it’s wintertime and I’m leaving them off until the spring, but I expect a similar drop in mpg.

Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every ounce of weight you add to your truck decreases towing capacity because it decreases payload. If you're super concerned about it you shouldn't be buying heavy wheels and/or heavy tires. Compared your stock wheel/tire weight to the new wheel/tire weight, multiply by 4, and that's how much you lose on your payload. Can you get the Longhorn in different trim levels (I thought you could)? If so, the trim is more important (Laramie, Limited, etc) as then we can tell you what your OEM wheels/tires are. Unless you just want to look yourself and tell us. You don't give us the offset of the 4PLAY wheels, so you will most likely have trouble fitting the 12.5" wide tires since you'll probably hit the UCA's.

Absolute required information you need for new wheels and tires to make sure they fit:
Old wheel size (diameter and width) and offset (0, +12, -12, etc).
Old tire size.
New wheel size.
New tire size.
Lift if necessary.

Example:
My old Rebel wheels were 18x9 +19 offset if I remember right. New wheels are 18x9 0 offset so I moved the wheel out from the center of the truck 19mm or about 3/4". That gives me 3/4" more room to play with for wider tires before I hit the UCA, but it also affects how tall a tire I can put on before I start hitting the fenders when I turn.

More weight (bigger wheels, bigger tires, E rated instead of P rated) = less mpg, less towing capacity, more noise. More tread (AT/MT tires) = less mpg, more noise.

Users who are viewing this thread