5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 3rd Brake Light

tbo

Reaction score
Yup it was literally the easiest thing I’ve ever done . Take out the old one . Plug in the connector and screw it back in .
Was you able to also get the back up rearview mirror that goes with this? with the flip down like the tech package?

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this threads a few months old but wanted to chime in! I got sick of waiting for an aftermarket 3rd brake light option like I had on my 4th gen so said screw it and went to bite the bullet and spend the $350+ on the new OEM option. The fact RAM stuck with that basic ugly terrible looking assembly on the new RAMs is ridiculous. How much these new trucks cost and the fact every single other light on my Longhorn is LED it blows my mind they kept that ugly halogen assembly lol, I hate the body lines and the interiors on the new Chevys but their huge long LED 3rd brake light looks a million times better than rams, even better than this new LED one they switched to on the 21s. Really wish RAM would have went with something like GM did on the new Chevy pickups! BUT, point of my post is I wanted to let everyone know before I went and ordered the light directly from Mopar I just happened to check on eBay and thank god I did! Just got lucky and found a brand new one for under $250....All the others on there atm are like $377 and up, but just a tip for anyone still considering upgrading make sure to keep and eye on eBay! I have found MANY good deals on ebay over the years, its super safe to buy from Ebay if you're careful and know what your doing! Good luck! (y)

LED.png

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Yup it was literally the easiest thing I’ve ever done . Take out the old one . Plug in the connector and screw it back in .
Did you have to do anything to the truck with this new OEM 3rd brake light? Does it still give you the key fob not detected error like it gives with just swapping LED bulbs out or am I good to go once I plug it in!? I've dealt with that stupid keyfob error for almost a year now so its easy to work around, but would be really nice to not have to deal with it at all anymore, not really a problem for me but the rare occasions the ol lady or someone else drives my truck its annoying when I have to explain what's going on lol just curious if I'm good to go or going to need to reprogram it for LEDs...

Last edited:

Ramjeep

Reaction score
Did you have to do anything to the truck with this new OEM 3rd brake light? Does it still give you the key fob not detected error like it gives with just swapping LED bulbs out or am I good to go once I plug it in!? I've dealt with that stupid keyfob error for almost a year now so its easy to work around, but would be really nice to not have to deal with it at all anymore, not really a problem for me but the rare occasions the ol lady or someone else drives my truck its annoying when I have to explain what's going on lol just curious if I'm good to go or going to need to reprogram it for LEDs...
Nope no errors at at all. it worked perfect for the 6 months that I had it installed. I shoulvde removed it when I sold the truck.

nabatron

Reaction score
Bump….

When swapping over the new 3rd brake light does it come with the camera? If so did anyone swap the rear view mirrow out and get it to work?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Bump….

When swapping over the new 3rd brake light does it come with the camera? If so did anyone swap the rear view mirrow out and get it to work?
Yes, the new CHMSL comes with the camera. I am not sure of anyone yet that has actually gotten it to work.

nabatron

Reaction score
Yes, the new CHMSL comes with the camera. I am not sure of anyone yet that has actually gotten it to work.

I imagine you could just swap the 3rd brake light into a 2019 ram and not use the camera just the brake light.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
I imagine you could just swap the 3rd brake light into a 2019 ram and not use the camera just the brake light.
You can, it's plug n play! Obviously the camera doesn't get hooked up or used but the brake and cargo lights works fine, honestly the way the 5th gens should have been from the start instead of that terrible cheap halogen housing they started with. Literally the only lights on the 5th gens (equipped w/leds) that arent LED.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did paint tint route and added Sylvania 921 LED Cargo Lights and 3rd brake LED, never have had any issues with fob, it throws plenty of light, and mtches the Lamin-X inted tails and headlight.
IMG_1931.jpg
IMG_1932.jpg
IMG_1979.jpg

Doc10

Reaction score
does anyone know if the punchout circled in red is a blank for the cargo camera 2022 Ram 1500 limited or is it a sensor? ... if it's for a cargo camera, is it already wired for it? I can confirm there is no cargo carmera in my 1500 limited and the blue circle is the camera for the rear view mirror display.

Attachments

• Inked20220223_185003_LI2.jpg
    Inked20220223_185003_LI2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 87

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure what that is. I'm curious now. I'll have to see if mine has the same bump. As far as I know, the cargo camera is not offered on any Ram 1500 model. Even if it's a spot for a camera, I doubt there is an actual camera installed in there. Makes me wonder though if the HD cargo camera could be retrofitted in that spot.

Doc10

Reaction score
Not sure what that is. I'm curious now. I'll have to see if mine has the same bump. As far as I know, the cargo camera is not offered on any Ram 1500 model. Even if it's a spot for a camera, I doubt there is an actual camera installed in there. Makes me wonder though if the HD cargo camera could be retrofitted in that spot.
agreed - I'm wondering if the wiring is there to retrofit or if it'd have to be wired.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Daaamn.. Nice to finally have some aftermarket options but holy hell those are extremely overpriced for what they are lol better off buying the new overpriced oem housing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
11 page thread about the RECON 3rd Brake Light. People are reporting moisture condensation.

Users who are viewing this thread