5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 3.0L Inline-6 has arrived

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. It is a smaller engine. And it makes both more power and torque. Which is why the displacement is replaced by FI - there is indeed a replacement for displacement. It’s exactly what we’re talking about.

If you don’t want to talk about how turbo and non-turbo engines of the same displacement aren’t the same then talk about why the 3.5 eco boost massively outperforms the 5.0 coyote. Same case here. Same with any turbo diesel. Try not using cliches that are a fallacy and then dictate what can and can’t be part of your discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Turbo motors are great if they are taken care of. All the ones I've seen have trouble have been poorly maintained. I've had a lot of fun with the ecoboost family the last few years and honestly the Ford GT running the 3.5 in race form really impressed me and started my interest. Now obviously they had a few one off parts and tricks in their IMSA motor, but the fact that they could get 5-600 horsepower out of one, while running 16 psi of boost (8lb per turbo), and thrash on them for 24 hours had me excited. Once people embrace the turbo and drive them, they'll love them.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes. It is a smaller engine. And it makes both more power and torque. Which is why the displacement is replaced by FI - there is indeed a replacement for displacement. It’s exactly what we’re talking about.

If you don’t want to talk about how turbo and non-turbo engines of the same displacement aren’t the same then talk about why the 3.5 eco boost massively outperforms the 5.0 coyote. Same case here. Same with any turbo diesel. Try not using cliches that are a fallacy and then dictate what can and can’t be part of your discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't see where I ever said FI can't produce more power and/or torque. I used that displacement idiom more as a joke when I posted it. I realize it's difficult to tell when people are being serious or not in a forum. My bad for not including a smiley to help indicate that.

My argument is that longevity suffers when a smaller displacement engine is used to replace a larger displacement NA engine. A smaller displacement engine has to work harder in a bigger vehicle. Boosting it just allows it to do that work. But that engine will experience more stress. I don't have much direct experience with Ford engines of any type. I think I've owned one Ford in the 42 years I've been driving. But I've read about all kinds of problems with the eco boost engines after they get some miles on them. I wouldn't mind test driving one to have some fun. I just have no interest in owning one, especially if I was planning to keep it long term.

I'm fine talking with discussing FI vs NA in similar displacement engines. In fact, I am all for adding a SC or turbo to a Hemi. Anytime you add FI to an engine which is more than capable to perform in a platform in it's NA form is a win.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Kind of crazy if RAM is serious with this survey about considering this little engine for HD use. They sent out a similar survey to 1500 owners last year.

Even Ford developed a new 7.3L V8 instead of using the twin-turbo 3.5L V6

F7480074-2454-4C4F-BB27-D1C4F51BD8D5.png 324A398C-9418-4E3C-9F40-36179C7DF034.png

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Kind of crazy if RAM is serious with this survey about considering this little engine for HD use. They sent out a similar survey to 1500 owners last year.

View attachment 125058 View attachment 125059
The Italian leadership is killing the brand. They're out of touch with Americans who actually buy HD trucks. At least that's how it seems from where I am. I'm sure there are people here who would consider one of these new designs, but I don't like any of the options in the last question. If I'm in the market and the V8 is not available for the HD trucks, I'd be shopping another brand.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The inline 6 will not have the GCWR for HD trucks.

Look at how the ecoD is at 15600 while the Hemi goes to 17000.

The 5.7l Hemi is gone from HD trucks because it maxed out on GCWR also.

Maybe the Powerwagon crowd could make use for it. Which is why the survey goes out. To see if there is any interest.

RAM and Dodge have been listening to their real owners for quite a few years now.

If you get the survey...give them your honest feed back.

I am still hoping they re launch the Banshee engine and give us 426 cubic inches in a big block with reliable 500hp 500tq numbers to put Godzilla to bed.

The rulings on vehicles change with the wind anymore. I will keep my RAM trucks that i have...and hope they keep making new ones for as long as I am alive.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’m honestly pretty excited for this engine but I’ll likely wait a couple years for them to iron out any bugs. If I could have a faster truck that gets better mpg and potentially some turbo whistle or blow off sounds then I’m all for it. And I’m praying it sounds better than the v6 ecoboosts because those are legitimately the worst sounding v6s on the market haha

KonaKruiser

Reaction score
For those looking to eek out incremental mileage via a hybrid or full EV truck.....you need to evaluate your truck purchase logic.

If you can't afford a truck....by a Honda Ridgeline.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
For those looking to eek out incremental mileage via a hybrid or full EV truck.....you need to evaluate your truck purchase logic.

This doesn’t make sense to me. If your truck purchase logic is that you could get the truck you want and save money on fuel and have a faster truck, then what’s flawed in that? For guys like myself where my monthly gas bill is higher than the actual truck payment I wouldn’t mind some better fuel efficiency so long as the truck can still do everything else I ask of it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Be sure to read the article.

Kaderast

Reaction score

This was a ridiculous comment. I can afford to pay for gas for my truck if it got up to $30/gallon. That sure as hell doesn't mean I should be wasteful by driving like a maniac because I can afford to, that would simply be greedy and stupid.

I bought my truck for the ability to haul loads, gear, people and trailers. The fact is though that 80% of the time it just hauls me, so I choose to run it efficiently and save myself some money.

I'd be very interested in buying an efficient TT I6 engine, a hybrid, or EV in the next few years.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 125058 View attachment 125059
Those questions are stupid. Not once do they address the MPG difference between the two identically powered engines.
What is the MPG improvement if I go with the one that sounds like a lawn mower?

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
Better mpg is always a plus. The new engines sound promising, but I’d wait a bit and let them work through the growing pains of the first few years.

KonaKruiser

Reaction score
This was a ridiculous comment. I can afford to pay for gas for my truck if it got up to $30/gallon. That sure as hell doesn't mean I should be wasteful by driving like a maniac because I can afford to, that would simply be greedy and stupid.

I bought my truck for the ability to haul loads, gear, people and trailers. The fact is though that 80% of the time it just hauls me, so I choose to run it efficiently and save myself some money.

I'd be very interested in buying an efficient TT I6 engine, a hybrid, or EV in the next few years.
The nice thing about America is that even you have the freedom to name call other RAM owners to your hearts content.

KonaKruiser

Reaction score
This doesn’t make sense to me. If your truck purchase logic is that you could get the truck you want and save money on fuel and have a faster truck, then what’s flawed in that? For guys like myself where my monthly gas bill is higher than the actual truck payment I wouldn’t mind some better fuel efficiency so long as the truck can still do everything else I ask of it.
For guys like myself where my monthly gas bill is higher than the actual truck payment I wouldn’t mind some better fuel efficiency so long as the truck can still do everything else I ask of it.

Ergo - buy a Ridgeline and you can "have it all"...nothing stopping you.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For guys like myself where my monthly gas bill is higher than the actual truck payment I wouldn’t mind some better fuel efficiency so long as the truck can still do everything else I ask of it.

Ergo - buy a Ridgeline and you can "have it all"...nothing stopping you.
Having owned a 1st gen Ridgeline myself, and 3 Rams as well, I feel qualified to say there is no comparison between the two. I really liked my Ridgeline, but the small bed did not offer the ability to perform many functions that I use my Ram for. The newer Ridgelines have an even smaller bed, so you can't "have it all" as you suggest. Maybe you don't use your Ram for "truck stuff", but many others do. Not sure why you would have a problem with anyone wanting the best of all worlds if it is possible. Maybe you can elaborate?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Having owned a 1st gen Ridgeline myself, and 3 Rams as well, I feel qualified to say there is no comparison between the two. I really liked my Ridgeline, but the small bed did not offer the ability to perform many functions that I use my Ram for. The newer Ridgelines have an even smaller bed, so you can't "have it all" as you suggest. Maybe you don't use your Ram for "truck stuff", but many others do. Not sure why you would have a problem with anyone wanting the best of all worlds if it is possible. Maybe you can elaborate?
Exactly. Lol I’m not even gonna entertain that troll

WW2

Reaction score
I have a different reason for having doubts about this engine. The plasma arc cylinder liners...The Ford 5.0 Coyote switched to this technology in 2018. The new 5.0 is now riddled with oil consumption and tick issues. Its a super thin layer of steel sprayed on the aluminum block, I just dont believe this technology is proven or as durable as true steel liners. We shall see, gummed up valves and oil consumption will be the major issues in my opinion...

ChrisID

Reaction score
I have a different reason for having doubts about this engine. The plasma arc cylinder liners...The Ford 5.0 Coyote switched to this technology in 2018. The new 5.0 is now riddled with oil consumption and tick issues. Its a super thin layer of steel sprayed on the aluminum block, I just dont believe this technology is proven or as durable as true steel liners. We shall see, gummed up valves and oil consumption will be the major issues in my opinion...
That explains why my kids '18 F150 5.0 eats oil for breakfast and they won't do anything about it. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread