5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 3.0L Inline-6 has arrived

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Great article. Kind of sums up the way I feel about pushing a smaller engine harder to make it perform like a larger engine. I still believe in the age old axiom that there's no replacement for displacement. At least over the long term.

FI is the replacement for displacement. As for pushing smaller engines with turbos under load look no further than what tractor trailers have been doing for 50 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny_H

Reaction score
I love a turbo I6- the sounds from them is so unique and pleasant to the ear. All the extra crap added to that engine looks like a nightmare to diagnose and repair.

Hopefully it still looks as clean as these pics in the engine bay and not like the rats nest in the Bronco

ac124e96cd8961c208d07f8c1edb13a8.jpg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully it still looks as clean as these pics in the engine bay and not like the rats nest in the Bronco

ac124e96cd8961c208d07f8c1edb13a8.jpg

That’s gross. That makes me glad I’m not turning wrenches as a career anymore. Stuff like that is why customers get upset when you tell them it calls for nine hours to R&R a valve cover gasket.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
FI is the replacement for displacement. As for pushing smaller engines with turbos under load look no further than what tractor trailers have been doing for 50 years.

Hahaha...good one. And diesel engines are a completely different animal.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

A man after my own heart. That reminds me of when I was big into mustangs and was at the war on wheels at Maryland international Raceway in the early 2000s. A daily driver Honda Civic with a 1.5 turbo was running low 10’s and the guy claimed ~30mpg when daily driving. My Mustang was naturally aspirated and was in the low 12’s, all while getting single digit mpg on pump fuel. That was the moment in time that completely changed my thinking about forced induction.

Hahaha...good one. And diesel engines are a completely different animal.

I think what he said is still valid. If you compare a non-turbo diesel to a turbo diesel of the same displacement, then you can do the same with two gas engines. Europe has been relying on that for decades with their gas and diesel engines.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think what he said is still valid. If you compare a non-turbo diesel to a turbo diesel of the same displacement, then you can do the same with two gas engines. Europe has been relying on that for decades with their gas and diesel engines.
Fair enough. Agree to disagree on that. We weren't talking about engines with the same displacement though.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A man after my own heart. That reminds me of when I was big into mustangs and was at the war on wheels at Maryland international Raceway in the early 2000s. A daily driver Honda Civic with a 1.5 turbo was running low 10’s and the guy claimed ~30mpg when daily driving. My Mustang was naturally aspirated and was in the low 12’s, all while getting single digit mpg on pump fuel. That was the moment in time that completely changed my thinking about forced induction.
Problem there was the Mustang probably had 1000 lbs on the Civic. Also that 1.5 turbo was ready to self detonate at any moment

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds very competitive. Wonder why they went with Air to Liquid cooling instead of Air to Air.

I wonder if the HO version will be for special editions only, or you'll be able to get it in any 1500 RAM pickup.
Haven't read the next two pages of replies, but in case this hasn't been mentioned. air to air is a spaghetti bowl with hot pipes feeding the charge air cooler then trying to route the cold pipe back to the intake. Also, shorter runners means much less lag.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Problem there was the Mustang probably had 1000 lbs on the Civic. Also that 1.5 turbo was ready to self detonate at any moment
Really can’t argue with that at all about the civic since I don’t know how the engine was built. I went down a rabbit hole after that and ended up building Honda and Mitsubishi turbo engines for years. Mine were reliable after I learned the quirks of those engines under high boost levels, but I can’t speak about anybody else’s. My early building and tuning days were pretty rough though.

Yamie700

Reaction score
From a sound aspect I hope this new I6 is like BMW. Before my Ram I had an X3 with the 3.0 inline six turbo and that engine sounded fantastic when pushed hard. And as others mentioned an inline six is so smooth. I've ridden in turbo'd V6 and all have sounded bad in my opinion. A V8 sounds the best, but an inline 6 can be very good.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Fair enough. Agree to disagree on that. We weren't talking about engines with the same displacement though.

Yes we are. Drive a 3.0 gas NA and 3.0 gas turbo back to back. Drive a 3.0 diesel NA and 3.0 diesel turbo back to back.

Show me any 3.0 NA gas engine making a reliable 4-500hp. It doesn’t exist. Guys are already doing software tunes on the new M3/M4 and bumping it from 500 to 600 up no sweat. I drive a 4.2L RS5 with 450hp due to its 8500rpm redline - one of the highest hp/L engines ever made in a production car. A RS7 with the VW corporate 4.0TT is making over 600hp. The displacement means nothing once you slap a turbo on.

Phoon

Reaction score
All the problems the ECOBOOST has encountered in the F150. NO THANKS!
It is crazy how many people are assuming that this engine will have the same weak points as a completely unrelated motor! Its like assuming Hemi V8's are junk because audi had issues with their 4.2.... I love my Hemi, but we should be celebrating that we have a 400+ HP new gas motor when many automakers are defunding their ICE programs. Assuming we have gas motors for the next 15 years, this will likely be one of the best available for many years. Lots of power, lots of torque, should be smooth and relatively efficient. Properly engineered small displacement motors can make a ton of reliable HP even if they are allegedly more complex than a pushrod V8.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I have similar experiences at the strip as djedox. I remember in high school (1973) one of my friends kept preaching turbo's are the future. We all laughed...
I love the flexibility they bring just like the honda, turn up the boost at the strip then turn it back down on the way home.
I would consider this engine in my next ram after it is out a year.
Tom

S. Snake

Reaction score
Excited to see how and where this engine falls into the Ram 1500 lineup. Wonder if there will be a facelift or generation change if and when this comes over to 1500 land.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
I don’t wanna get flamed too hard, but if this is a clean sheet design out of the box easily putting down 500hp, there’s gotta be room to bump that up to 600-650hp pretty easy. Throw an electric motor on one of the axles and you’re looking at a 6-800hp Hellcat/TRX/Trackhawk replacement.

Before y’all shart on me - ask trx owners how many would trade a glorious exhaust/super charger whine at 8mpg for something that sounds like a cello but has an extra 150hp and gets 25mpg.

I think a lot of guys would stick with the V8, but after reading the trx forum and talking to a couple owners personally, when it costs $300 to fill your tank next year a few guys would make that trade, and a few more guys might consider entering that market that otherwise wouldn’t have.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes we are. Drive a 3.0 gas NA and 3.0 gas turbo back to back. Drive a 3.0 diesel NA and 3.0 diesel turbo back to back.

Show me any 3.0 NA gas engine making a reliable 4-500hp. It doesn’t exist. Guys are already doing software tunes on the new M3/M4 and bumping it from 500 to 600 up no sweat. I drive a 4.2L RS5 with 450hp due to its 8500rpm redline - one of the highest hp/L engines ever made in a production car. A RS7 with the VW corporate 4.0TT is making over 600hp. The displacement means nothing once you slap a turbo on.

No, we weren't. We were specifically talking about displacement vs forced induction. You decided to inject your own comments comparing engines of the same displacement. But that is most certainly not what we were comparing. The engine being discussed in this thread is a smaller displacement FI engine. Which is a smaller displacement than any Hemi engine it will reportedly replace.

Last edited:

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Yes. It is a smaller engine. And it makes both more power and torque. Which is why the displacement is replaced by FI - there is indeed a replacement for displacement. It’s exactly what we’re talking about.

If you don’t want to talk about how turbo and non-turbo engines of the same displacement aren’t the same then talk about why the 3.5 eco boost massively outperforms the 5.0 coyote. Same case here. Same with any turbo diesel. Try not using cliches that are a fallacy and then dictate what can and can’t be part of your discussion.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, we weren't. We were specifically talking about displacement vs forced induction. You decided to inject your own comments comparing engines of the same displacement. But that is most certainly not what we were comparing. The engine being discussed in this thread is a smaller displacement FI engine. Which is a smaller displacement than any Hemi engine it will reportedly replace.
That was probably my fault. I lost my train of thought and went into non-relevant territory.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What a absolute beauty! I was just reading this yahoo thread on that.

LOL what venom! That guy's Chicken Little mentality is why I don't read most of those articles. I likely won't be owning the new engine, but I don't think it is end of the performance world, either.
If you lived and drove through the 80s, you know that this is just the next step towards something different and fun down the road. Those 80's performance cars mostly sucked, and guys like this act like nothing good will ever come again. If you consider the Buick v6 turbo as an example, it morphed from an add-on for a luxury coupe to one of the quickest grocery-getters of it's time. Still, those guys could have never envisioned a production Hellcat engine that would offered in everything from a 2 door, to a 4 door, to an SUV, to a truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online