5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 21 Laramie owner coming from F150

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am on the verge of making the switch from my 15 lariat with 98k(not sure why this thing should run for a while). But the deals on these rams are hard to beat. I have a few local dealers with fords but not my color or build type. I would like to see what this power boost is like.
Again I feel the fit and finish on the ram is second to none and light years better then my 15 lariat.
Waiting on two dealers to get me numbers. Came here looking for threads like this to see what guys are saying.
Nice looking truck OP.
Chris
Good luck, whatever you decide!

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I am on the verge of making the switch from my 15 lariat with 98k(not sure why this thing should run for a while). But the deals on these rams are hard to beat. I have a few local dealers with fords but not my color or build type. I would like to see what this power boost is like.
Again I feel the fit and finish on the ram is second to none and light years better then my 15 lariat.
Waiting on two dealers to get me numbers. Came here looking for threads like this to see what guys are saying.
Nice looking truck OP.
Chris
I have the second part of the series dropping today I think showing the interior and tech stuff you might find interesting.
I will say it’s not without its quarks, but the fit and finish is superb.
The power boost is getting some killer miles per tank and Tq, but seems towing mpg is really poor from TFL trucks reviews.
That’s a big $$$$ upgrade though if you can even find one.
A friend that had a 21 f150 on order too may be caving in and getting a Ram too. The deals are just too good. I think I got mine another $2500 under employee pricing.

NA&CH

Reaction score
I am working a deal now with a local fully loaded minus the kitchen sink limited. I am looking at a lariat Ford for 70 with maybe 1500 now? Or a limited for 71 with their first born otd for 55 with trade ofcourse. I need to see what people are paying for these trucks.
I’ll check out the channel.
Chris

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I am working a deal now with a local fully loaded minus the kitchen sink limited. I am looking at a lariat Ford for 70 with maybe 1500 now? Or a limited for 71 with their first born otd for 55 with trade ofcourse. I need to see what people are paying for these trucks.
I’ll check out the channel.
Chris
If $55k is the Limited OTD price not considering a trade, I think that is killer. The Lariat trim is more like the Laramie, so not really comparable esp for that big price difference
My Laramie with like $16k worth of addons MRSP was $65k. I ended up getting it with no attempt at haggling whatsoever for $53,055 OTD.
If there was a Limited avail, I would have gotten that, but my Laramie is pretty much a Limited optioned out for the most part minus air suspension and the nicer trim pieces and pano roof.
I'd say if you are getting that for $55k, that is a no brainer IMHO

Cgo

Reaction score
I was an F150 guy; had several of them over the years. However, when the Ecodiesel came out, I bought my 2015 RAM Outdoorsman. Lots of people had issues with them including my buddy who had a 2016 which was a lemon. Had constant CEL issues. Other than a few recalls, my RAM was flawless for 105,000 miles. It still looked and drove like new. It was the best truck I've ever had. It was so good, I didnt even look at other trucks when I picked up my 2021 RAM Limited.

Good luck, hope you got a good one.

NA&CH

Reaction score
If $55k is the Limited OTD price not considering a trade, I think that is killer. The Lariat trim is more like the Laramie, so not really comparable esp for that big price difference
My Laramie with like $16k worth of addons MRSP was $65k. I ended up getting it with no attempt at haggling whatsoever for $53,055 OTD.
If there was a Limited avail, I would have gotten that, but my Laramie is pretty much a Limited optioned out for the most part minus air suspension and the nicer trim pieces and pano roof.
I'd say if you are getting that for $55k, that is a no brainer IMHO
That is with trade. I am shooting for 50k otd. eat those fees etc.

Chris

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I was an F150 guy; had several of them over the years. However, when the Ecodiesel came out, I bought my 2015 RAM Outdoorsman. Lots of people had issues with them including my buddy who had a 2016 which was a lemon. Had constant CEL issues. Other than a few recalls, my RAM was flawless for 105,000 miles. It still looked and drove like new. It was the best truck I've ever had. It was so good, I didnt even look at other trucks when I picked up my 2021 RAM Limited.

Good luck, hope you got a good one.
Great to hear. Maybe I will be a RAM guy in the long run. Time will tell.
I think if they came out with a TT 6cyl ,I would be completely sold

That is with trade. I am shooting for 50k otd. eat those fees etc.

Chris

What is the actual price of the truck though. Can't judge on the deal if we do not know that. I would say anything approaching $10k off MSRP is pretty tremendous

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve put 12000 miles on my 2020 Ram with probably 3000 of those miles pulling 4000 lbs. I’ve only ran 87 octane in it and have had no issues at all
Oh oh, another 87 vs 89 vs 91 octane discussion is in the works!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
thanks. I checked the manual and it said 87 "should" be ok, but 89 was preferred for performance and gas mileage. Not sure what the dealer put in it, but Ill try 89 next round for sure.
Top tier is likely a bit more important than stated octane, but that’s my opinion. I ran 87 for the first about 10K but reading about some hemi specific issues on this forum has switched me to attempting to maintain 89. I got too much soft pinging on flat roads with 87 to be comfortable with it. Course at my Costco the only choices are 87 or 91, unless you mix each tank...That’s what I do now.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice looking truck OP.
Chris
Nice looking truck OP.
Chris
Good luck, whatever you decide!
I’ve had problems with my 19 since day one, I finally got ram to buy it back. So I went out and looked at new trucks, but in the end I still found myself wanting a ram. So I had a 2021 Laramie built, It’s at the dealer now, but waiting for ram to release it for me to pick up. I also looked at the fords, the 2021 seems nice, however they are hard to get and the price is much higher for less options. The ram is the nicest vehicle I’ve ever owned or been in I think! My biggest issue with any of these new trucks is reliability. I’ve read all the reviews and all the new trucks. They are having some kind of issues. I believe the ram might have the most issues and I’d be worried about long term reliability after 3 / 36,000 warranty. I plan on trading right before I hit that point. I do realize that not everyone can trade every three years. If I was planing on keeping past three years, I’d make sure I had a good extended warranty. I would not buy this extended warranty through the dealer, the prices are jacked up. I’d do this not just for the ram, but any of these new trucks. I love the hemi and the way this ram drives, fuel milage is what you’d expect from a truck. I’d guess milage is a little less then the Ford eco boost? I have the 5.7 etorque and I love it. Hard decision in whatever you choose. I hope you love whatever you get and it’s problem free!

NA&CH

Reaction score
Great to hear. Maybe I will be a RAM guy in the long run. Time will tell.
I think if they came out with a TT 6cyl ,I would be completely sold

What is the actual price of the truck though. Can't judge on the deal if we do not know that. I would say anything approaching $10k off MSRP is pretty tremendous
Msrp is 73,745. My trade after payoff is 11k.
Chris

Derlant1983

Reaction score
I think I would have preferred Ford’s version of the 12” possibly, but hard to know because they don’t have any trucks on their lots to test.lol.
I do find the Ram portrait mode version to be a little peculiar. I have not used it enough, but it’s not terrible for me as of yet.

I will say though I have experienced some terrible infotainment systems and it can make the vehicle hard to live with.
Don’t ever buy a Hyundai or Toyota. I think they are the worst! Nissan is probably just as bad, I can’t say for sure though.
I think Ford/Chrysler/GM have the best implementations

This is fuuny, I just seen your video yesterday where you were running out of time for the ford to show up. This post is the answer. Love the Laramie sport, it was between that and limited and the boss picked the limited. I can only speak on the 2015 ford but the words technology, ford and good don't often collide in the same sentence.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
This is fuuny, I just seen your video yesterday where you were running out of time for the ford to show up. This post is the answer. Love the Laramie sport, it was between that and limited and the boss picked the limited. I can only speak on the 2015 ford but the words technology, ford and good don't often collide in the same sentence.
Thanks for the view.
Tech wise my Ford’s have been pretty good to me. Overall running they have too.
My Ram has had some tech glitches already. I am trying to overlook them and just blaming on planetary alignments causing strange things to happen. Lol

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2018 F150 XLT. It was too basic of a truck. I didn't want leather, so the XLT was the way to go. After I bought it, I regretted not getting the Lariat. The MSRP of $52k was disappointing when I realized that HD radio was not available of the XLT, even with the top audio package. You also couldn't get homelink on the XLT.

The overly plastic interior, with warped dash at the defroster vents, the water leaking in somewhere that was found inside the door sill wiring track, the transmission shifting so erratically, etc, I lemon lawed it and moved on. The transmission shifting was my biggest complaint, along with the fact that it was advertised at 21mpg highway and I couldn't get over 15mpg.

I had the 5.0 in a 4x4. My 2017 Mustang GT was getting around 24.5mpg highway, so I figured the truck would be close to it's advertised rating.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I had a 2018 F150 XLT. It was too basic of a truck. I didn't want leather, so the XLT was the way to go. After I bought it, I regretted not getting the Lariat. The MSRP of $52k was disappointing when I realized that HD radio was not available of the XLT, even with the top audio package. You also couldn't get homelink on the XLT.

The overly plastic interior, with warped dash at the defroster vents, the water leaking in somewhere that was found inside the door sill wiring track, the transmission shifting so erratically, etc, I lemon lawed it and moved on. The transmission shifting was my biggest complaint, along with the fact that it was advertised at 21mpg highway and I couldn't get over 15mpg.

I had the 5.0 in a 4x4. My 2017 Mustang GT was getting around 24.5mpg highway, so I figured the truck would be close to it's advertised rating.
Now that you mention it, I swear mine got water on the driver side floor at times too. I never stressed it much as I had rubber mats, but it has happened a few times.

All the points you mentioned were sore points for me as well though

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

My 15’ XLT caused me to feel the same. Too high priced even buying it in July 2016 when new. Few interior advancements as compared with the RAM. While the 2.7 eco/6 speed with 3.55’s gave me sticker mpg’s on the highway at 65 with no load or hills, as soon as you were into the boost for any reason it fell off alot.

Was it an ok truck? Certainly. Just more $ than a comparable Big Horn and for what?

PM-Performance

Reaction score
My 15’ XLT caused me to feel the same. Too high priced even buying it in July 2016 when new. Few interior advancements as compared with the RAM. While the 2.7 eco/6 speed with 3.55’s gave me sticker mpg’s on the highway at 65 with no load or hills, as soon as you were into the boost for any reason it fell off alot.

Was it an ok truck? Certainly. Just more $ than a comparable Big Horn and for what?
I will tell you, I was constantly in boost. I avg’d 20mpg city and 24-25 highway.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Had an F150. Ram much better overall, but 2.7L was outstanding

Users who are viewing this thread