5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2022 Ram 1500 with Underperforming MPG

23RAM

Reaction score
There are a lot of stupid people in this world, but most know that the computer continually measures fuel consumption.
I don't agree with the second part...people seem to think that the mpg rating is what the truck gets when driving - partly due to how mpg is often "described" by the manufacturer. The first part is completely wrong...there's no such thing as stupid people, only stupid questions.
:p

The EPA does simulate stop and go traffic, as well as a few more parameters.
Yes I believe that's correct.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't agree with the second part...people seem to think that the mpg rating is what the truck gets when driving - partly due to how mpg is often "described" by the manufacturer. The first part is completely wrong...there's no such thing as stupid people, only stupid questions.
:p

Who are these "people" and how do you know what they are thinking?

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
Just came across this post after looking as to if I should continue to use 87. Someone’s post about mileage since purchase had me curious. I got my ram used with 11k miles on it. It’s a 19 5.7 non etorque.

I’ve only drove it 7k miles with trip b, but I average 20.0. I tend to hyper mile and I do about a 60 mile commute through the hill country in Virginia M-F.

I put 89 in once to see if there was a difference and there def was. Truck seemed quieter and I was averaging 1mpg more than I normally do on a tank (21 vs 20). Price isn’t a concern to me, but I was in a groove and went back to 87 due to habit and because I normally fill up at 3am when I’m half asleep :)

I’m going back to 89 since it’s recommended.

*edit* Forgot to mention I have the 3.92 transmission

IMG_2012.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GMetal

Reaction score
Just came across this post after looking as to if I should continue to use 87. Someone’s post about mileage since purchase had me curious. I got my ram used with 11k miles on it. It’s a 19 5.7 non etorque.

I’ve only drove it 7k miles with trip b, but I average 20.0. I tend to hyper mile and I do about a 60 mile commute through the hill country in Virginia M-F.

I put 89 in once to see if there was a difference and there def was. Truck seemed quieter and I was averaging 1mpg more than I normally do on a tank (21 vs 20). Price isn’t a concern to me, but I was in a groove and went back to 87 due to habit and because I normally fill up at 3am when I’m half asleep :)

View attachment 158419

whats the AERO icon for?

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
whats the AERO icon for?

It’s a limited with air suspension. It lowers to aero (aerodynamic) when you get to a certain speed, or you can put it there. I ride there pretty much exclusively unless I’m towing my camper.

Btw, mpg when towing my 29 foot camper I make about 12 I think.

*edit* yeah I was wrong. I made 11mpg towing from VA to SC on average. Not 12

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread