5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2022 Ram 1500 with Underperforming MPG

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Might I suggest you locate the search box and check for threads with words like mileage and economy and octane in the title? Every one of your questions has been asked and answered many times already.

AMK53

Reaction score
Just reading through all the comments, it sounds like the big takeaways are: 1) EPA ratings are BS, 2) good efficiency at highways are possible at 65 MPH or less. When I was driving highway, I was definitely at 75 MPH so that totally makes sense. 3) the 89 octane doesn't make a meaningful difference (as expected).

I've only done the testing in Louisiana/Houston so far, but I'm about to head home to Denver so my guess is that fuel efficiency will change with the increase in altitude.

Sportznut

Reaction score
2019 DT 1500 with 5.7 hemi & 3.92

I can make my truck get the EPA rated mileage but I choose not to drive my truck that way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
To maximize mpg, don’t remote start your truck, and try not to let it idle. You’ll lose 2mpg by just going to a McDonald’s drive through. The sweet spot is around 45 to 55mph, even better if mds kicks in. I was able to make about 20mpg on a 400 mile trip mostly interstate driving.

Now I have upgraded tires and don’t care about fuel mileage. I just drive it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To maximize mpg, don’t remote start your truck, and try not to let it idle. You’ll lose 2mpg by just going to a McDonald’s drive through. The sweet spot is around 45 to 55mph, even better if mds kicks in. I was able to make about 20mpg on a 400 mile trip mostly interstate driving.

Now I have upgraded tires and don’t care about fuel mileage. I just drive it.
^This

George Bednar

Reaction score
I'm getting around 26 MPG average on my work commute of 30 miles 1/2 @ 55mph and 1/2 @ 30-40mph.
I have an Ecodiesel with 3.21 gears. Best I got was 28.5 mpg pulling into Mt. Vernon Ill from Detroit a few
weeks ago.

Malodave
Good ol' Mount Vernon. Home of the beautiful and huge white Cross. Been past it both direction many times.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Similar to what others have said, I have seen the average mpg on both of my DTs increase after 5k or so miles. I won't say that I know why that happened, just that it was my experience. I saw a vast improvement on my '20 Big Horn, just a slight improvement on my '22 GT, and I figure part of that difference is that my GT weighs a fair amount more than my Big Horn did.

If you look at the link I posted earlier, you can see that my mileage was pretty consistent from new to 70K+ miles (except for the hit from changing to 33" tires when the OEM wore out).

My suspicion is that some people get a new Hemi and they drive around while it is still new putting their foot in it more, 'cause it's new and they're enjoying their Hemi. Then, after some time, they settle down. The new wears off. Then they start driving a little less enthusiastically and it SEEMS like they are now getting better mileage, when they really aren't. Just a suspicion, though.

U

User_3336

The stock Falkens that come with the Offroad Group aren't the best for gas mileage either. After getting a 2nd set of rims and putting road tires on them for daily use I avg about 21mpg now. I drive about 40miles to work each way.
And what did changing tires and rims cost?

GMetal

Reaction score
Your mileage sounds correct. Im in the same boat. '22 Ram 5.7 with 3.92 gear 4x4. I drive all city. I remote start and let the truck cool the interior before driving. My idle time is nearly double my driving time. My drive consists of about 10 lights in 7 miles. Im currently averaging 11mpg. Freeway driving I do much better. These engines drink a bunch of fuel at idle.

Louhound88

Reaction score
I do mostly highway driving for work and with a Lonestar 4x4 with 3.21 gears I can average about 17.5 to 18mpg. This is with 35"s and a level, and also if I don't include remote starting.

I have etorque so I actually let it start/stop and with how long some red lights are, it does help. Also, I try to find the sweet spot of highway RPM to set my cruise to. If I set cruise to 80 it'll average 18. If I really try hard and drive as conservatively as possible to work i can get the average to 19. But with normal driving and a few chances to floor it from redlights, etc I can hang out in the 17.5mpg range for work commuting.

During weekends I tend to do lots more city driving and then that will average out to 15 or 16mpg just depending on how hard I drive.

As for 87 vs 89 gas, I definitely seem to get 1 to 2mpg better with 89. I'll switch to 87 for a few tanks every now and then, but engine noise definitely seems to increase and my mpg seems to suffer. It's not enough to justify the increase in price per gallon, but the engine noise on 87 alone makes the 89 worth it.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you look at the link I posted earlier, you can see that my mileage was pretty consistent from new to 70K+ miles (except for the hit from changing to 33" tires when the OEM wore out).

My suspicion is that some people get a new Hemi and they drive around while it is still new putting their foot in it more, 'cause it's new and they're enjoying their Hemi. Then, after some time, they settle down. The new wears off. Then they start driving a little less enthusiastically and it SEEMS like they are now getting better mileage, when they really aren't. Just a suspicion, though.
Might be true for some, hasn't been my experience though. In fact, more likely the opposite for me. I drive all of my new vehicles casual until i feel confident everything is broke in, Generally 500 to 1000 miles. The rest of the time I enjoy "spirited driving" 😁

cnsc74

Reaction score
I just picked up my Ram 1500 Laramie 4WD offroad edition with 3.92 rear axle. The EPA rating on the window sticker says 17 MPG city, 21 MPG highway, 19 MPG combined, but I'm getting about 12 MPG in the city and averaging about 15 MPG on highway. I am REALLY taking it easy on the driving and it shows it to be in ECO mode most of the time. I have zero additional mods on the vehicle. I didn't buy the truck for MPG, but I was expecting to perform relatively close to the ratings. This truck is performing almost 30% lower. My questions are:

1. Is the EPA rating on the window sticker based on the truck configuration or based on some base trim with none of my options? If it's based on some arbitrary configuration, then it is really misleading.

2. Do the HEMIs have a large break-in period before efficiency climbs back to normal range? My current mileage is only around 100 miles or so.

3. Does the higher octane fuel (89) that's required by the manual make a noticeable difference? I'm still driving on the full tank that the dealer provided and I'm not sure what they put in there. I am guessing that they used regular gas, but in my experience higher compression engines perform the same on lower octane fuel as long as there is no heavy knocking and I haven't heard anything while driving around.
Maybe requires some break-in period. Just turned over 12K miles in my 2021 Laramie, have been getting 18+ miles in City & on long hwy runs get 22-24mpg all on regular gas (not high octane). The On board computers these days adjust & make allowances for what ever type of fuel you put in it. I do run SHELL gas as much as possible, for better performance & fuel economy. My dad told me that a long time ago, and it does help. My go to fuel in order is Shell, Exxon, Mobile. Shell & Exxon cc offer 10-cents off every gallon you buy too. Have saved over $200 this year alone using these in all our cars (3).

Nannni

Reaction score
Maybe requires some break-in period. Just turned over 12K miles in my 2021 Laramie, have been getting 18+ miles in City & on long hwy runs get 22-24mpg all on regular gas (not high octane). The On board computers these days adjust & make allowances for what ever type of fuel you put in it. I do run SHELL gas as much as possible, for better performance & fuel economy. My dad told me that a long time ago, and it does help. My go to fuel in order is Shell, Exxon, Mobile. Shell & Exxon cc offer 10-cents off every gallon you buy too. Have saved over $200 this year alone using these in all our cars (3).
Does fuel economy depend on how you break in when you get a brand-new truck? for example not exceeding 80mph or not flooring till 1000 miles in? I am new to this :rolleyes:

Ram12375

Reaction score
I have a 3:92 with off road package and average 18 almost all highway driving around 60 mph. The few times I've driven interstate at 75 mph I was shocked that I got over 20 mpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Meh...I've had much faster, better sounding vehicles than a Ram 1500, hemi or no hemi LOL. I'm not saying the hemi is slow, but it isn't really fast either. It's adequate for my needs. Nice theory, and it may be accurate for a few people, but it's normal for an engine to see improved fuel economy after a few thousand miles run-in.

BigHornDaddy318

Reaction score
I just picked up my Ram 1500 Laramie 4WD offroad edition with 3.92 rear axle. The EPA rating on the window sticker says 17 MPG city, 21 MPG highway, 19 MPG combined, but I'm getting about 12 MPG in the city and averaging about 15 MPG on highway. I am REALLY taking it easy on the driving and it shows it to be in ECO mode most of the time. I have zero additional mods on the vehicle. I didn't buy the truck for MPG, but I was expecting to perform relatively close to the ratings. This truck is performing almost 30% lower. My questions are:

1. Is the EPA rating on the window sticker based on the truck configuration or based on some base trim with none of my options? If it's based on some arbitrary configuration, then it is really misleading.

2. Do the HEMIs have a large break-in period before efficiency climbs back to normal range? My current mileage is only around 100 miles or so.

3. Does the higher octane fuel (89) that's required by the manual make a noticeable difference? I'm still driving on the full tank that the dealer provided and I'm not sure what they put in there. I am guessing that they used regular gas, but in my experience higher compression engines perform the same on lower octane fuel as long as there is no heavy knocking and I haven't heard anything while driving around.
Im getting 19 city on my 2020 . I have an Edge Pulsar, Borla cat back exhaust, Corso closed box CAI and Moe’s Performance 87mm throttle body. Granted most times my Pulsar is in economy mode… just drove from NJ to Norfolk Va and back last Saturday and averaged 23mpg also

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 3:92 with off road package and average 18 almost all highway driving around 60 mph. The few times I've driven interstate at 75 mph I was shocked that I got over 20 mpg
I have the same setup and a loaded Longhorn.

Under “rural” conditions, where I’m doing 62 on a two-lane highway 90% of the time, I’ve achieved over 18 mpg (hand calculated) for a full tank.

When driving long distances on the interstate at 75-80 mph, I can’t do that. I might be averaging closer to 16 mpg.

Most of the time, though, I’m in the city bouncing on and off highways and city streets with stop and go traffic. My signature clearly shows the impact of that sort of driving on my lifetime fuel economy average.

BigHornDaddy318

Reaction score
Im getting 19 city on my 2020 . I have an Edge Pulsar, Borla cat back exhaust, Corso closed box CAI and Moe’s Performance 87mm throttle body. Granted most times my Pulsar is in economy mode… just drove from NJ to Norfolk Va and back last Saturday and averaged 23mpg also
Im also running premium (93) fuel not sure if that makes a difference

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Im also running premium (93) fuel not sure if that makes a difference
I’ve run thousands of miles on 89, 91, and 93 (with some ethanol-free 90, too). I’ve observed no noticeable difference (too many variables). My best ever economy was achieved on 89.

Users who are viewing this thread