5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neutral?????

69Sting

Reaction score
So my cousin runs a car wash and was telling me that whenever one of our trucks goes through, they have to leave a person in the truck for it stay in neutral and be pulled by the track system. I look up the auto brake or 'hold' feature and how to temporally suspend the feature. Last night I go to his car wash and mess with it for 15min. Anytime the drivers door opens, it shifts to P. So I call a dealer, they didn't know how to keep the truck in N either and has never been asked the question.

So who knows how to put the truck in N and have it stay there?
I understand the safety feature as so many 'darwins' jump out and leave their vehicle in D or N and it rolls away. But one would think there would be a way to over ride it for those 'if or when' moments and you need to push the truck to the side of the road or need it towed.

69Sting

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes you can override for towing etc. They make it a bit of a pain, on purpose. Not sure if there is another way but following these instructions should place into neutral.

Attachments

• 68AADEA0-150A-452A-9843-E5438D07E691.jpeg
    68AADEA0-150A-452A-9843-E5438D07E691.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 68

69Sting

Reaction score
Yes you can override for towing etc. They make it a bit of a pain, on purpose. Not sure if there is another way but following these instructions should place into neutral.

Thank you. but wow what a pain. I was looking in a different area of the manual pages 294-299. Helpful for me but don't think a car wash customer would like a teenager opening anything on the dash.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Thanks Patsy1099 taught me something about my truck today!!!

I sit in my vehicle through the truckwashing process but good to know how to if needed.

Rick J

Reaction score
On 4 wheel drive trucks, I believe all you have to do is put it in neutral at the transfer case selector and leave the parking brake off if you don't want to be in the truck.

Biscuitz23

Reaction score
Weird I never had that issue when I took my truck to the car wash... they have it go through the machine with no one inside.

69Sting

Reaction score
So I read in another thread about having the drivers seat belt connected as a solution. So last night I gave it a try. Truck running, in park, step out, buckle the seat belt, get back in, put in N, open the door and step out. Truck stayed in N. So the tricks are: must be running and seat belt buckled.
I did try to just put the truck in the ACC and Run mode with out it actually started and running, truck switches to P.
Hope this helps everyone who use full service carwashes or may need or just want to push the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread