5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

neutral gear select with motor off

redneck

Reaction score
ok here is my stupid question is their a way to put the trans in neutral with out the motor running? i have tried key in acc & foot on break . no luck also tried run position then foot on break with motor off no luck. how do you push this thing with the motor off? what it you run out of gas & need to push it off the road.. NO i didnt run out of gas some times i need more room in the front of the garage & dont want to start it to move 1 ft.

redneck

Reaction score
this truck wont even let me turn the knob it stays locked in the P position

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
this truck wont even let me turn the knob it stays locked in the P position
From the 2021 Ram 1500 DT owner’s manual-
Pa6zwC0.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's always good to at least see if you can find things like this in the owner's manual. This is why it's recommended that a buyer at least skims through the manual when they first buy a new...anything LOL.

redneck

Reaction score
yes it will go to park if you shut it off in gear or try backing up with a door open & your foot off the break

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
10/4 thanks sorry i missed pg 390 in my skimming lol. who designs **** like this why not just make a knob that can be turned to N. I GUESS WE ARE ALL SAFER NOW.
Because it's all electronic now. No physical connection between shifter and trans anymore, so you need some kind of mechanical method to put in neutral in case of electrical failure. A lot of vehicles these days are the same way. And yes, it's more complicated than it needs to be, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread