5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Negotiating a used ram 2019

Cuppedup

Reaction score
I found a 2019 1500 With 17K miles listed In a neighboring state. It is a certified pre-owned with a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty with the following options...

Crew cab standard box, white.
4x4 with the ORP
Sport appearance
Level 2 equipment
Tow package
Dual pane Pano roof

They have it listed for $39,XXX and they said they can do $37,700 + doc and processing for a total of $38K. Window sticker looks to be $51XXX.

Initially I was looking for a new 2020 for $45K OTD. This truck only has 17,000 miles and is $7K lower than what I wanted to purchase new, is this a good deal?

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought something similar brand new in 2019 for $37500 plus tax, tag, title. For reference. No moonroof but did get North package, more expensive paint and a spray on bed liner.

nburd

Reaction score
Check KBB (west) and NADA (East) and see what book value is. My dealer has a left over ‘ 19 with those specs that he will not budge below $50k, 800 miles. That’s why I did not buy from him. You do get the CPO warranty, which is better than new. Good luck.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
He mentioned $38K which only includes doc and processing. I told him I wanted $38K to include all taxes and fees and he said that’s another $3K and offered me $40K OTD with everything included.

I’d be saving around $6K going with this used truck over similarly optioned NEW vehicles. This one being driven only 17,000 miles still seems “new” to me...This would be my first purchase so I’m still learning the game.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Assuming this is a Big Horn, but you didn't say which trim level it is. Sounds like a decent price, but I haven't shopped for a used Ram for years. Do what nburd suggested and look it up on KBB and NADA to get a good idea of what it's worth.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
Yes, this is a bighorn. I’ll check KBB and NADA when I get a chance.

Gs72174

Reaction score
He mentioned $38K which only includes doc and processing. I told him I wanted $38K to include all taxes and fees and he said that’s another $3K and offered me $40K OTD with everything included.

I’d be saving around $6K going with this used truck over similarly optioned NEW vehicles. This one being driven only 17,000 miles still seems “new” to me...This would be my first purchase so I’m still learning the game.

If it’s going to save you money over similar new vehicles, then it would be a no brainer for me. I bought by 2019 Ram Big Horn used and saved about $10,000 over comparable new Rams.

Do I like brand new vehicles? I sure do but as soon as you drive off the lot, the value of the vehicle drops. I’d rather save some money and use it towards parts.

djjr50

Reaction score
Just another point...unless you're paying cash, the financing can be helpful. Depending on who you go with, you might be able to get 0% on a new vehicle and NOT on the CPO/used one. However, since interest rates are pretty low, it may not save you the money in the long run.

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
My 2019 bighorn was very similar to yours except mine did not come with sunroof. 18K miles. package 2. crew cab. Dealership listed 34.5K... I negotiated sold price was 31.5K.... with taxes and fees.... OTD was 35.5K. I am very happy with my purchase...... so $38 OTD for you would be decent but if you can get it down to 36 or 37...that would be grand. Good Luck.

McRib

Reaction score
Just bought our 2019 1500 crew cab, Big Horn, level two with 27k on it for $29k.

I know I'm probably going to get some grief here, but I got it from Enterprise. They have quite a few trucks it was clean and they include a 1 year 12k mile warranty on top of the Ram warranty.

The buying experience was the best I've ever had.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just bought our 2019 1500 crew cab, Big Horn, level two with 27k on it for $29k.

I know I'm probably going to get some grief here, but I got it from Enterprise. They have quite a few trucks it was clean and they include a 1 year 12k mile warranty on top of the Ram warranty.

you won't get grief from me...My 2019 Limited was a former rental, had 19,000 on the clock, msrp on the truck was $63,000 new, I paid $43K OTD...this truck has not had ONE hiccup since I got it last Feb...nice cold AC, no funny noises, no nuthin...I am super happy with my decision. Still have 14,000 miles left on the B2B warranty! I went over this truck before buying with all my skills,( MA licensed auto damage appraiser, school trained diesel/gas mechanic). Saved a ton of $$. Sometimes you can score with a used rental. I know whenever I drive a rental, I am extra careful with it, so they don't claim I damaged it. Best of luck sir!

nburd

Reaction score

Enterprise does have some amazing prices on Rams. I looked a few times. Especially 1 year old 4th gen SLTs. I saw many 6’4” crew 4x4 Hemis for $24-25k with under 20k. Miles.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a fleet vehicle, just need to find a good one like OldMarine did. Things aren't as 'loose' as they used to be when I was younger ('every rental car is a 4wd') and they do a pretty good inspection on it, even if it's after you turn it in.

Maintained service interals from licensed facilities and, if you're looking for a premium model (e.g. Limited), those are not cheap to rent so weed out most of the potential 'aggressive' drivers. Those are usually rented by more conservative people that are much easier on vehicles than those that end up in a sub-compact for $15/day. Even the trucks are a much higher class of rental so aren't cheap to rent period.

If you are looking at a lower trim level stick with a higher tier fleet to choose from. Enterprise generally only rents to 25+ year olds and Hertz is pricier than most so not as many 'younger' renters.

Last edited:

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I found a 2019 1500 With 17K miles listed In a neighboring state. It is a certified pre-owned with a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty with the following options...

Crew cab standard box, white.
4x4 with the ORP
Sport appearance
Level 2 equipment
Tow package
Dual pane Pano roof

They have it listed for $39,XXX and they said they can do $37,700 + doc and processing for a total of $38K. Window sticker looks to be $51XXX.

Initially I was looking for a new 2020 for $45K OTD. This truck only has 17,000 miles and is $7K lower than what I wanted to purchase new, is this a good deal?
The 7 year/100,000 warranty is pure gold. I think you did very well with that options list.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you paying cash? If not, the difference is essentially a wash with the higher value of the newer vehicle and a likely better interest rate. $6k financed is nothing over 5 years and you get less miles, more warranty, better residual value, and no one else's farts in the seat cushion :p

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The 7 year/100,000 warranty is pure gold. I think you did very well with that options list.
Maybe, depending on who is providing the warranty.

Cuppedup, I have a couple questions about the warranty. What does it cover? Is it bumper to bumper, or some other limited coverage? But even more important...is it a genuine Mopar warranty, or a 3rd party warranty? It's been my experience that most 3rd party warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Much more difficult to get them to pay for repairs which are supposedly covered. And you often will have to pay for the repair first, then wait to be reimbursed by the warranty company. And lots of fine print that you can never fully read at the time of vehicle purchase. I will never buy another 3rd party warranty no matter what the cost.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I have no experience with Car Shield. And I'm not interested in gaining any either. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread