5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Some Help Please

ShowMeIllini

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 with sport package and 22” wheels. I previously had a Tundra where I did a 4.5” BDS lift. As we know, BDS has only released a 6”, but I don’t think it will work with 22s... correct? Any recommendations? I want more than a 2-3, but less than a 6. Thanks in advance!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome. Can't answer your question but I'm sure someone here can. Lots of good info on lifts.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We need a new user profile to better answer that ..

Do you have air-suspension or not?
Why wouldn't it work with 22" wheels? After a lift, you'd want larger wheels anyways to help fill in the gap, would you not?

ShowMeIllini

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for the replies. Apparently the BDS won’t work with the 22” due to hub bore size.

Freebird77

Reaction score
Rough Country makes a 2" leveling kit, a 3.5" lift kit and a 6" lift kit for the non air ride models and a 5" lift kit for the air ride models. One of the reviewers on their page said he was on 22's and gave 5 stars.

ShowMeIllini

Reaction score
For those members who are more mechanically inclined, please excuse my question if this sounds ignorant. I have literally no knowledge of the suspension outside of “raise it because it looks better.” A reputable company in my neck of the woods is calling the dodge dealer to find out about ordering new hub bores so that they can do the BDS 6”. Is this possible and if so, do you recommend? Thanks in advance!

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It should be fine I would imagine, if I’m understanding this correctly (I could be wrong)

The trucks with OEM 22s have a different wheel bearing (hub) that’s larger or the HD version as I heard it called. So that unit bearing (form of wheel bearing) won’t bolt up to the new spindles that come with the lift kit since they were designed around the non HD bearing.

It should be as simple as swapping the unit bearings out to the non HD ones.

You should be able to call BDS a tech support and ask them, or try PerformanceLifts. They have a pretty decent staff there that knows their stuff.

I’ve been curious why they don’t work, if all the trucks Use the same factory spindle then you would think either bearing would work on the lifts. So either they don’t use the same spindle or ??

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those members who are more mechanically inclined, please excuse my question if this sounds ignorant. I have literally no knowledge of the suspension outside of “raise it because it looks better.” A reputable company in my neck of the woods is calling the dodge dealer to find out about ordering new hub bores so that they can do the BDS 6”. Is this possible and if so, do you recommend? Thanks in advance!
These are the parts for a RC 5" air ride kit. The piece with the red box is the spindle. The circle with the 3 bolt holes is where the front hubs mount. On trucks with factory 22" wheels the circle and bolt pattern is larger to accommodate the larger heavy duty hubs.
Spindle.png

Item #1 is the hub, #2 is a debris shield and # 3 is the spindle #4 is the anti-lock break wire

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So they don’t use the same spindle then? It seems stupid not to just use the larger bearings on all the trucks to me.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So they don’t use the same spindle then? It seems stupid not to just use the larger bearings on all the trucks to me.
I have never seen the spindles side by side but my guess is that there are at least 2 different spindles and 4 different hubs, with and without 22" wheels for 2wd and 4wd, the hubs are for sure unique between 2wd and 4wd trucks.

It comes down to money. 500k trucks sold to make the math easy lets say 10% with 22s. So 450K trucks without 22s. If the hubs differ in price by 5 dollars each that's $10 per truck times 450K trucks = 4.5 million dollars.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are the parts for a RC 5" air ride kit. The piece with the red box is the spindle. The circle with the 3 bolt holes is where the front hubs mount. On trucks with factory 22" wheels the circle and bolt pattern is larger to accommodate the larger heavy duty hubs.
View attachment 32492

Item #1 is the hub, #2 is a debris shield and # 3 is the spindle #4 is the anti-lock break wire

View attachment 32493
Right on the head there. It's a shame Rough Country won't sell their 22XL spindles alone. They would make a killing with them right now because people would buy the lift kit they wanted and then the spindles from Rough Country.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They really should since I’d say at least half the limiteds have 22s. I don’t think I’ve seen many on the lots without them. Plus how hard can it be, you already have the rest of the kit. I wish someone would make spindles, I’d like to swap to these hubs I’d they are actually stronger Since I’ve got heavy wheels and tires about to go on.

As for the cost analysis, makes sense. I was just thinking if you manufactured one part, less drama, should bring the cost down too. But in that example let’s say it cuts it in half, it would still be 2 million? So still a sizeable Increase

Users who are viewing this thread