5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help Picking a Truck

66cuda

Reaction score
Here is where I need some help. I'm stuck and struggling to make the final call on which truck. They are both Bighorns but they are pretty different.

Truck 1 is black with the sport appearance package with anti slip, LED lights, level 2 equipment group, 5.7 hemi, blind spot/cross path detection and the upgraded chrome rims.

Truck 2 is Black with the black appearance package with anti slip, LED lights, level 2 equipment group, tow package, 5.7 hemi, blind spot/cross path detection, 33 gallon tank, NAV, alpine sound, and panoramic sunroof.

There is about a $3K difference in price between truck 1 and 2. what it equates to is truck 2 is $140 more in down payment and $25 more in monthly payments. The dealer is willing to throw in a spray in bed liner and running boards on truck 1, but says I've beat them down so far on truck 2 that they can't add those on.

Here is where I am stuck.

Truck 2 looks awesome! I love the black package. I love everything about this truck except.... manual folding tow mirrors. I don't tow anything big enough that I would really need them and It's going to be a real pain to park in my garage. I told they dealer I was concerned about it and they let me take it home and test fit. It's tight. Like uncomfortably tight. With the drivers mirror closed and the passenger side open I have to get right up next to my wife's van until the passenger mirror clears the garage door then I can swing it in and provide some clearance. I worry about hitting the garage door with mirror or scraping my wife's new, very expensive Pacifica. I tried getting out and putting both mirrors in and pulling in (easy) but pulling out with both mirrors in was a little tricky as i had a harder time with spacing between the truck and the garage door not being able to see without the mirror open. I also don't really want to get out of the truck in the middle of winter to open and close the mirrors every time I go in and out of the garage( got spoiled since my current truck has power folding mirrors).

Truck 1 is easier on the wallet and easier to park in the garage. Sport appearance package is nice, but not as nice as the black package. Interior feels a little "cheaper" than the truck 2. I think the difference is in the Radio. With the NAV the screen is flush and the bezel is a shiny black. on this one without the NAV the radio is recessed a little and the bezel is more of a matte black. I hate the rims. I have no problem with Chrome rims, but I think the design is bad. I asked the dealer about switching them out, but they claim I've beaten them down so far they can't.

I think if I get truck 1 I think I'm always going to wish I had the black appearance package but I have peace of mind parking and peace of money in my wallet. I think if I get truck 2 parking in my garage is always going to be a challenge and I'll be out more money possibly wishing I'd have saved it.

I thought about holding off, and waiting for another black appearance package but I'm not sure I could strong arm the dealer into giving me the deal I'm getting now.

RT70808

Reaction score
Here is where I need some help. I'm stuck and struggling to make the final call on which truck. They are both Bighorns but they are pretty different.

Truck 1 is black with the sport appearance package with anti slip, LED lights, level 2 equipment group, 5.7 hemi, blind spot/cross path detection and the upgraded chrome rims.

Truck 2 is Black with the black appearance package with anti slip, LED lights, level 2 equipment group, tow package, 5.7 hemi, blind spot/cross path detection, 33 gallon tank, NAV, alpine sound, and panoramic sunroof.

There is about a $3K difference in price between truck 1 and 2. what it equates to is truck 2 is $140 more in down payment and $25 more in monthly payments. The dealer is willing to throw in a spray in bed liner and running boards on truck 1, but says I've beat them down so far on truck 2 that they can't add those on.

Here is where I am stuck.

Truck 2 looks awesome! I love the black package. I love everything about this truck except.... manual folding tow mirrors. I don't tow anything big enough that I would really need them and It's going to be a real pain to park in my garage. I told they dealer I was concerned about it and they let me take it home and test fit. It's tight. Like uncomfortably tight. With the drivers mirror closed and the passenger side open I have to get right up next to my wife's van until the passenger mirror clears the garage door then I can swing it in and provide some clearance. I worry about hitting the garage door with mirror or scraping my wife's new, very expensive Pacifica. I tried getting out and putting both mirrors in and pulling in (easy) but pulling out with both mirrors in was a little tricky as i had a harder time with spacing between the truck and the garage door not being able to see without the mirror open. I also don't really want to get out of the truck in the middle of winter to open and close the mirrors every time I go in and out of the garage( got spoiled since my current truck has power folding mirrors).

Truck 1 is easier on the wallet and easier to park in the garage. Sport appearance package is nice, but not as nice as the black package. Interior feels a little "cheaper" than the truck 2. I think the difference is in the Radio. With the NAV the screen is flush and the bezel is a shiny black. on this one without the NAV the radio is recessed a little and the bezel is more of a matte black. I hate the rims. I have no problem with Chrome rims, but I think the design is bad. I asked the dealer about switching them out, but they claim I've beaten them down so far they can't.

I think if I get truck 1 I think I'm always going to wish I had the black appearance package but I have peace of mind parking and peace of money in my wallet. I think if I get truck 2 parking in my garage is always going to be a challenge and I'll be out more money possibly wishing I'd have saved it.

I thought about holding off, and waiting for another black appearance package but I'm not sure I could strong arm the dealer into giving me the deal I'm getting now.
Not a fan of the tow mirrors, the regular ones makes me paranoid in some drive thru’s and parking garages. Also the other thread about tow mirrors make you lose the 360 camera. Sounds like you need a black package without the big mirrors.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always say if you're going to make payments.. make payment on the one that you really want. Truck 2 with the tow mirrors sounds like the one you want so I would go that route. Keep in mind though The tow mirrors are a pain. Especially for guys like you and me that won't use them.. I had to add power fold mirrors to my truck after the fact. I just couldn't handle the non folding mirror because paring and pulling into atm and drive throughs. If I were you I would maybe wait a touch to get the one you want. I would search 100-150 mile around you to see if any dealer ha the exact one you want and get it. These truck are EXPENSIVE and its no fun to wish you would have gotten the one with. I have done it before and didn't do it this time. I made sure the one I got was what I wanted. To me $25 a month difference is minimal to your long term happiness with a big purchase.

I found myself always thinking about the mirrors until I changed them.

There has to be a truck out there the way you want with the power fold mirrors.

habfan

Reaction score
I would ask the dealer to swap the mirrors from one to the other. My understanding is that the mirrors are an "upgrade" since I they are part of the tow package. If the dealer wants the sale, he may do that, since both have blind spot detection i would assume the wiring is all there for both and there will probably be another customer who may want a cheaper bighorn with tow mirrors ;)

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would ask the dealer to swap the mirrors from one to the other. My understanding is that the mirrors are an "upgrade" since I they are part of the tow package. If the dealer wants the sale, he may do that, since both have blind spot detection i would assume the wiring is all there for both and there will probably be another customer who may want a cheaper bighorn with tow mirrors ;)
More to it than that. The window switch has to be changed as well as the door modules and the challenge is the programming for the power fold to work. Its a different sales code. It becomes a hassle.

66cuda

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I walked in to the dealer yesterday and told him, I like the sport but hate the rims and I like the black out, but hate the mirrors, what can you do? He basically said there was nothing he can do because I beat him down so far on the price. I'm getting EP from my dad (retired Dodge Engineer) and I shopped around and feel like I really got some good numbers.

I would prefer to work with this dealer. Since moving to Grand Rapids, I've bought all my new cars from them. They take good care of me. They won me over when i was at a car show with my challenger, the service manager is a car guy and I told him about how I didn't like leaving my car at the dealer. He assured me they'd baby it. he scheduled an appointment with me and we sat down and talked and made sure my car was taken care of. Anytime I walk in, he comes up and says Hi a makes sure I'm taken care of.

My heart says Blackout, but my mind/wallet say Sport....

Rustydodge

Reaction score
To me, the 33 gallon fuel tank and panoramic roof and upgraded infotainment would override the tow mirror thing. So truck 2. Especially if it has the looks you like better. Big question may be the 360 view but not sure if truck 1 has that?

66cuda

Reaction score
To me, the 33 gallon fuel tank and panoramic roof and upgraded infotainment would override the tow mirror thing. So truck 2. Especially if it has the looks you like better. Big question may be the 360 view but not sure if truck 1 has that?

truck 1 does not have the 360 view.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
truck 1 does not have the 360 view.

Truck two wont either if its got the tow package..tow mirrors dont have cameras in them

It doesn't list the Bighorn level 2 package as having the surround view camera or even the option of it being on a Bighorn so unless the brouchure is wrong, you can't get it regardless of tow mirrors or not.

1532706201313.png

66cuda

Reaction score
Truck two wont either if its got the tow package..tow mirrors dont have cameras in them

It doesn't list the Bighorn level 2 package as having the surround view camera or even the option of it being on a Bighorn so unless the brouchure is wrong, you can't get it regardless of tow mirrors or not.

View attachment 1851

Correct, neither truck has the 360 cameras.

66cuda

Reaction score
I checked with the dealer he said $811 out the door to change the mirrors on truck 2.

habfan

Reaction score
More to it than that. The window switch has to be changed as well as the door modules and the challenge is the programming for the power fold to work. Its a different sales code. It becomes a hassle.
oops. forgot about the switch.
Good luck to the OP on the decision another $811 bucks sucks. too bad they didn't have the big horn you want without the tow pack; or can they get one from another dealer?

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Buy both of them and replace your wife's minivan ;)

In all seriousness, losing the folding mirrors would be a big issue for me. It's something that is used pretty much daily for myself. The dealer should be happy to keep any eye out for the rig of your dreams. Best of luck!

66cuda

Reaction score
oops. forgot about the switch.
Good luck to the OP on the decision another $811 bucks sucks. too bad they didn't have the big horn you want without the tow pack; or can they get one from another dealer?

I did ask about trying to trade for another one, but they said at the price they are giving me, there is no way they could trade for one.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Does any dealer locally have a truck equipped like truck 2 but with the power folding regular mirrors? If so I'd try to see if the dealer could do a dealer trade for that truck so you could have the best of both worlds.

ponypride

Reaction score
It is personal preference, but I would go with #1 if it was me for the following reasons

1 - The $25/mo is $1,500 over 60 months
2- I had the same issue with my garage, which is 8', so I ordered the folding, non tow mirrors
3 - I have had sun roofs in every car I owned, but never used them. Unless you are into sunroofs, it is an add on you do not need
4 - I ordered a truck without Nav because I love CarPlay. I put that $750 into the Etorque engine.

The rims are a different issue. I got the standard 18 inch rims. I don't love them, but in lieu of spending another $1,000, I will live with them. I had a budget and stuck to it, but that is only me. It really is personal preference.

66cuda

Reaction score
It is personal preference, but I would go with #1 if it was me for the following reasons

1 - The $25/mo is $1,500 over 60 months
2- I had the same issue with my garage, which is 8', so I ordered the folding, non tow mirrors
3 - I have had sun roofs in every car I owned, but never used them. Unless you are into sunroofs, it is an add on you do not need
4 - I ordered a truck without Nav because I love CarPlay. I put that $750 into the Etorque engine.

The rims are a different issue. I got the standard 18 inch rims. I don't love them, but in lieu of spending another $1,000, I will live with them. I had a budget and stuck to it, but that is only me. It really is personal preference.

The more practical side of me says the same thing. I think the right thing to do is get truck 1. I just am trying to justify why I need truck 2

Users who are viewing this thread