5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help desperately. Truck wont start. Please need help!!! Thanks.

darylvia

Reaction score
Hello guys.
Im new to this forum. I saw it this morning and Im truly desperate for answers. I purchased a 2020 1500 Big Horn from the auction last year. The truck came from Orlando FL. Had some front end damage with the suspension. That all has been fixed. I got the truck back from the body shop at the end the year and once I got home the truck was not turning off after pressing the On/Off button. I even disconnected the battery and it kept running for about 20 mins until it finally turned off on its own.

I replaced the battery on the control. The truck does not open the door with the control. Had to opened it to get in since maybe they did not connect the main handle properly and the key would not even open the car.
I installed a new battery. The mileage (under 20k) shows on the dash but the truck does not turn on. Cabin lights do turn on.
The On/Off switch has a constant flickering of the OFF letters when I push the button but nothing happens. The radio does not turn on, nothing.
The power seats do work, but nothing happens in the dashboard. The new battery was dead after 4 or 5 days. Went and exchanged it for a new one. Checked the voltage on the new one and everything.

I read about maybe needing a bigger battery. I purchased a 24F from Walmart. Around 550 CCA. I even used a portable jumper on it with the battery and nothing.

I have no clue what to do. The car is salvage so no warranty at all. By the way I know the car did not have any water damage. Purchased the car in the summer.

In in Miami area. Any advise will be highly appreciated or if anyone knows an electrician or Ram mechanic please let me know.

Thank you all for your time.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out water damage just because you bought it in summer.

Depending on the damage it hadz there could be a wiring harness issue.

I highly doubt it's a battery or key fob issue. Possibly damaged BCM.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like fried BCM.
The thought of disconnecting the battery and letting it run out to shut the truck off is horrifying. You might of even caused more problems by doing that because of how many electronics there are in these vehicles and they want they interact.

Not sure how you would go about doing it but I would think you would want to re-flash firmware on the ECM\BCM.

Sounds like water damage. What was the salvage title from an accident? Or do they not give you the information on what happened since it was a salvage title.

Are you a mechanic?

tabber02

Reaction score
i’d recommend taking it to a Ram dealer, agree with everyone, likely water in the harness or some odd one off associated with the harness or ECM…. not sure i’d go anywhere aside from the dealer. won’t take long for them to get you diagnosed.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does salvage title kill remaining warranty? Never dealt with such a thing, but if it's under 20k miles and a 2020, it could possibly have some warranty left. Would be up to them to decide if damage or modification voided.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does salvage title kill remaining warranty? Never dealt with such a thing, but if it's under 20k miles and a 2020, it could possibly have some warranty left. Would be up to them to decide if damage or modification voided.
The warranty is voided once a salvage title has been entered, even if he gets a rebuilt title issued.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Plan on spending a lot of money. If the truck has a salvage title, it had more than suspension damage. They don't total a $50,000 truck unless there is $40,000 damage. It may have had the salvage title, before the suspension damage. If the key doesn't open the door, the door may have been changed in a previous accident. Buying a salvage vehicle at auction, you don't know any history. The BCM could be bad, or it may have a pinched wire someplace. It may cost you hundreds of dollars, just in diagnosis time, then find out you need hundreds or even thousands in parts. Hope for the best, that it is a quick and cheap fix, but prepare for the worst.

darylvia

Reaction score
Thank you guys.
The truck had some front end damage not that big. Looks like the driver drove to the side of a highway or something. Had to replace the electronic steering.
However when I got the truck to my house it drove and turned on with no problems. I would turn it on once in a while, not move it, but everything worked; radio, ac, everything except for steering wheel controls.
I had some frame work done to it and drove it from there home and then to the body shop (total distance about 35 miles) the problem started when got it out of the body shop.
We had a hard time turning it on. Had to use 2 jumpers but it turned on. The guy told me he had to get the control right on top of the button to turn it on. Drove it home, radio worked fined. Then when I parked it home and when I pressed the button it did nothing. I tried searching online and couldnt find a solution. I disconnected the battery and saw that it kept running for another 10 to 15 mins until it turned off by itself (was hoping to disconnect the battery to turn it off)
After that it has not started. It kill the new battery after I installed it in about 4 or 5 days. So it looks like some was still draining it....

Not sure on what to do. The car came from Geico and they have to list what was the damage and it was the crash, not water damage for sure.
Regarding the warranty, yes salvage or rebuilt voids all the warranty and my closest dealer wont even touch a rebuilt title.

Regarding the door, Im pretty sure the guy left the switch unplugged. The passenger side lock/unlock front actual door work. The power seat works and internal light works...

Any way to diagnose if it is the BCM or ECM? Thank you guys for all your time.. just trying to get somewhere here or perhaps try something...
Im not a mechanic, just do basic stuff as needed.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Any way to diagnose if it is the BCM or ECM? Thank you guys for all your time.. just trying to get somewhere here or perhaps try something...
Im not a mechanic, just do basic stuff as needed.
If you have dealership tools and experience.
You should of stayed away from a salvage titled vehicle unless you were a mechanic and knew what you were getting yourself into.
Best bet is attempt to sell it (and probably take a huge loss) and get into a non-totaled vehicle.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you say you had frame work done .... do youn trust them? when they weld they are suppose to protect your electronics... are you aware if they did that

darylvia

Reaction score
They have been in business for 40+ years... not 100% sure but I drove the car home and from home to the body shop a couple of days later with no issues.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I was hellbent on getting that thing running by myself, I would get a subscription to Alldatadiy, purchase alfaobd and OBDlink MX plus.
Then, dig deep into modern vehicle diagnostics and what makes them "tick"

You might consider cutting your losses or find a competent mechanic willing to work on it.
Wishing you best of luck.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I vaguely remember a post about the same issue and it had to do with a connection under the hood, it was very simple to fix but easily overlooked. The symptoms sound about the same.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Disconnecting the battery while it was running might have been a very bad idea.
It is possible that the modules have robust over voltage/transient protection build in, if so, they might be fine.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Disconnecting the battery while it was running might have been a very bad idea.
It is possible that the modules have robust over voltage/transient protection build in, if so, they might be fine.
Yep.
Better to let it run out of gas, do less damage that way.

darylvia

Reaction score
I vaguely remember a post about the same issue and it had to do with a connection under the hood, it was very simple to fix but easily overlooked. The symptoms sound about the same.
Thank you.. did you see it here in the forum?

darylvia

Reaction score
Yep now I know it was a bad idea.. just trying to get the truck running again.. thank you all for your time. I found a business that reflashes the ECM. Not sure if I should go that route blind

Users who are viewing this thread