5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help! Dead battery x2

Mack11

Reaction score
My start/stop dash light will occasional stay illuminated and drain the battery overnight. Dealer has not been able to duplicate it so they wont attempt to repair it. Still hoping to solve the issue. This has been going on for almost 3 years. 2021 Laramie sport.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Push start panel replaced and problem still exists. Any other suggestions or solutions?
I would follow the wiring or get a schematic of the push button for any relay or something in line maybe? I'm not sure where else to look.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Push start panel replaced and problem still exists. Any other suggestions or solutions?
Water damage to the RF hub? You have a leak in the back window frame?

Here is the normal operation on a non e-torq.

NORMAL OPERATION: The initial engine cranking event occurs when the KIN button is pressed and the engine crank request is sent to the RF Hub.

The RFH receives the request from the KIN and then looks for the valid key fob by using the LF antennas.

If the RFH detects a valid key fob and the brake is engaged, the RFH sends a START/CRANK message on the Controller Area Network (CAN).

If the PCM determines that a crank event is allowed, a CRANK HOLD signal is sent to the BCM.

The BCM completes the relay coil circuit and energizes starter relay 2.

The PCM completes the relay coil circuit and energizes starter relay 1, engaging the starter motor.

After the engine starts (engine speed above a calibrated threshold), the PCM turns off starter relay 1 and the starter is disengaged. The starter is disengaged if the engine does not start after 10 seconds. The ignition state is changed to RUN.

Transponder backup mode starting: There is a LF coil located in the KIN that can communicate with the key fobs transponder in close range if the fob battery is dead and complete the authentication. In the event of a key fob issue (1), push the front edge of the key fob against the start button and hold it there for a few seconds to start the vehicle.

RamLtd19

Reaction score
Water damage to the RF hub? You have a leak in the back window frame?

Here is the normal operation on a non e-torq.

NORMAL OPERATION: The initial engine cranking event occurs when the KIN button is pressed and the engine crank request is sent to the RF Hub.

The RFH receives the request from the KIN and then looks for the valid key fob by using the LF antennas.

If the RFH detects a valid key fob and the brake is engaged, the RFH sends a START/CRANK message on the Controller Area Network (CAN).

If the PCM determines that a crank event is allowed, a CRANK HOLD signal is sent to the BCM.

The BCM completes the relay coil circuit and energizes starter relay 2.

The PCM completes the relay coil circuit and energizes starter relay 1, engaging the starter motor.

After the engine starts (engine speed above a calibrated threshold), the PCM turns off starter relay 1 and the starter is disengaged. The starter is disengaged if the engine does not start after 10 seconds. The ignition state is changed to RUN.

Transponder backup mode starting: There is a LF coil located in the KIN that can communicate with the key fobs transponder in close range if the fob battery is dead and complete the authentication. In the event of a key fob issue (1), push the front edge of the key fob against the start button and hold it there for a few seconds to start the vehicle.
Saga continues, rained hard yesterday and it wouldn’t fully go to sleep. Confirmed this intermittent issue lined up with the weather so I went to look for the rf hub. Sure enough there’s water on back right floor, the back wall & rf hub, upper back window leaks on both sides. Couple hours after it stopped raining eventually was able to get it to sleep. Woke up this am, started it which seemed like a long crank. Warning lights everywhere including service electronic throttle warning and stability control. Went into limp mode and no light for 2wd or 4 wd. Going to replace rf hub and window, 3rd brake light, shark fin to be sealed, but could this all be from the rf hub or additional issues?

• Sad
Reactions: c3k

RamLtd19

Reaction score
Saga continues, rained hard yesterday and it wouldn’t fully go to sleep. Confirmed this intermittent issue lined up with the weather so I went to look for the rf hub. Sure enough there’s water on back right floor, the back wall & rf hub, upper back window leaks on both sides. Couple hours after it stopped raining eventually was able to get it to sleep. Woke up this am, started it which seemed like a long crank. Warning lights everywhere including service electronic throttle warning and stability control. Went into limp mode and no light for 2wd or 4 wd. Going to replace rf hub and window, 3rd brake light, shark fin to be sealed, but could this all be from the rf hub or additional issues?
Just restarted, no issues.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Rf hub, and likely a new 12v battery (after stopping the water intrusion).

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
could this all be from the rf hub
It is a very good possibility that all of it is from the hub getting wet.

My original back-lite cracked at the common middle locations. Replacement back-lite let go in the corners, one corner then the other.
Caught the leaks before they caused any real damage.

Did the Permatex fix and called it good.

RamLtd19

Reaction score
UPDATE: dealer resealed the backlight, new gasket & resealed 3rd brake light, and moonroof. Said the rf hub looked good and may have been sensing moisture leading to it acting up, but they put an order in for it anyway. Rained the day I got it back…no leaks, goes to sleep, battery not dead.

Can’t thank you guys enough for sharing your experience & knowledge. Big kudos to kappinallinen2🙏

Joe1357

Reaction score
I think I’m having the same issue in my 2020 Big Horn. My battery went dead a few weeks ago (2 yrs /44k miles - just came out of the shop after a length accident repair and figured they drained the battery). Truck has been running fine - came out to start it up and nothing. The ignition switch is blinking “off”, key fob not working at all. I’m gonna jump it and take it to the dealer I the AM

KnightJ35se

Reaction score
If not under warranty, upgrade to the TRX red button for atleast 50HP! :cool:
Good luck hope this works but ram is horrible at fixing the issues took me over a month and no compensation. They have beautiful car but never again will I buy another one

Attachments

• IMG_9851.png
    IMG_9851.png
    143.5 KB · Views: 17

RamLtd19

Reaction score
UPDATE: dealer resealed the backlight, new gasket & resealed 3rd brake light, and moonroof. Said the rf hub looked good and may have been sensing moisture leading to it acting up, but they put an order in for it anyway. Rained the day I got it back…no leaks, goes to sleep, battery not dead.

Can’t thank you guys enough for sharing your experience & knowledge. Big kudos to kappinallinen2🙏
Spoke too soon and not out of the woods yet. It’s been raining steady for a couple days and truck not responding. Key fob not working, had to key in which set the alarm off. Tried starting and the brake is stiff, no start, “off” light on starter button is on and cluster showing push brake and press start. No click no start. Popped the negative off to stop the alarm and left it for 30 mins. Put negative back on and alarm goes off no start, stiff brake. Battery jumper reading 12.1.

Joe1357

Reaction score
Spoke too soon and not out of the woods yet. It’s been raining steady for a couple days and truck not responding. Key fob not working, had to key in which set the alarm off. Tried starting and the brake is stiff, no start, “off” light on starter button is on and cluster showing push brake and press start. No click no start. Popped the negative off to stop the alarm and left it for 30 mins. Put negative back on and alarm goes off no start, stiff brake. Battery jumper reading 12.1.
I had the SAME exact issues. Took it to a dealer and they assess it to be the RF Hub. They are going to fix it tomorrow but can’t seal it until Tuesday. So now I have to decide if I keep the truck at the dealer until Thursday or if I take it home and wait it out and pray no water damage happens…

RamLtd19

Reaction score
Found an rf hub online. Buying now and will schedule install & programming with dealer.

Joe1357

Reaction score
Found an rf hub online. Buying now and will schedule install & programming with dealer.
Was your vehicle covered under warranty? The dealer told me mine wasn’t, since I have a 2021 eTorque and they “never seen an eTorque with this issue”

RamLtd19

Reaction score
Was your vehicle covered under warranty? The dealer told me mine wasn’t, since I have a 2021 eTorque and they “never seen an eTorque with this issue”
I have a 2019 no etorque. Outside warranty, but dealer I bought it from has been helping out

RamLtd19

Reaction score
Did you ever figure it out? Still waiting on the rf hub, 12” screen now not coming on.

clark2649

Reaction score
Same issues. 21APR 2024. My truck has a power draw at 1.5A, drains battery overnight. Press brake push button, radio and dash light up every 40 secs or so. Battery has been replaced, ECM software updated, rf hub replaced, bcm replaced, radio screen replaced, back window replaced. As of 17 Apr 2024, none of this has resolved the issue. As above, it's at Hall CDRJ in Virginia beach. They are still working on it, have been for weeks. Any help is appreciated.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
RF hub, or bad ground. There are, as I remember 29 ground points in the truck. Many electrical issues have been grounds.

Users who are viewing this thread