5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help breaking the rules.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I moved almost 4,000lbs pounds of gym equipment in a 6x12 Uhaul with a ramp over three states and it was no issue at all. I think Uhaul puts a really low stated max weight.

You should be able to load all that tile into a 6x12 utility with ramp no problem and do it in 1 trip.
I'm sure uhaul leaves a big safety margin, but I don't think 4,288 in a trailer rated for 2,400 is smart for an hour's drive. I considered a car trailer, but it doesn't have any walls for cargo. I would assume the 6 x 12 trailer suspension would be worthless at 4,288 lbs. I wouldn't want to damage the tile, let alone the trailer.

It will be boring to take three trips and drive nearly one hour each way six times, but easier than any headache or damage from something bad happening.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I found a great deal on tile flooring about an hour away. I'd like to pick it all up in two trips instead of three.

The total weight of the tile is 4,288 lbs. My truck's sticker says the weight of passengers and cargo shouldn't exceed 1,824. I weigh 200.

If I do two trips, that's 2,144 lbs of tile and 200 lbs of me. About 500 lbs over the sticker limit. Is that safe for one hour? Is there a better way to spread out the weight?

My wife is in the flooring business and she said each pallet usually weighs around 2k+-, depending on the tile and what you ordered it could be on 2/3 or more pallets, each pallet is about 48" x 48" which would need 8 to 12 foot in length to do it in one trip. Some of their trucks have a low deck height and that size pallets won't fit side by side between the wheel wells.

In the area cf the country where I live, Uhall sometimes rents trucks by the day with unlimited mileage. Due to the weight you mentioned, you might need to get a 15' truck to carry that weight. Here is a link to Uhall: https://www.uhaul.com/Truck-Rentals/15ft-Moving-Truck/

Here are some specs on the 15" truck

Inside Dimensions: 15' x 7'8" x 7'2" (LxWxH)
  • Mom's Attic: 2'6" x 7'8" x 2'7" (LxWxH)
  • Deck Height from Ground: 2'10"
  • Door Opening: 7'3" x 6'5" (WxH)
  • Loading Ramp Width: 2'2"
  • Max Load: 6,385 lbs.
  • Gross Vehicle Weight: 14,500 lbs. max.
  • Empty Weight: 8,115 lbs.
  • Towing Capacity: Up to 10,000 lbs.
  • Volume: 764 cu. ft.
Gas mileage of a 15' truck.
  • Fuel type: Unleaded
  • MPG: 10*
  • Fuel tank size: 40 gallons
The other option like mentioned previously is borrow or rent a trailer. Depending on the trailer and your truck, it should be able to pull that load in 2 trips.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I moved almost 4,000lbs pounds of gym equipment in a 6x12 Uhaul with a ramp over three states and it was no issue at all. I think Uhaul puts a really low stated max weight.

You should be able to load all that tile into a 6x12 utility with ramp no problem and do it in 1 trip.
I guess I could try for around 3,200 lbs in the trailer which might have a tongue weight of 480 lbs. That would leave 1,088 lbs of tile to be put in the bed, plus me at 200 lbs. That would have a payload of about 1,768.

Edit - I did the math wrong on this tongue weight. I was estimating 15% percent of the trailer payload, but I forgot to account for the weight of the trailer. I'm just going to do three trips with no trailer. Gas is cheap and I'm not good at math. No reason to push any limits of the trailer, truck or my pea brain.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I guess I could try for around 3,200 lbs in the trailer which might have a tongue weight of 480 lbs. That would leave 1,088 lbs of tile to be put in the bed, plus me at 200 lbs. That would have a payload of about 1,768.

I think you should be able to tow at least 7k or more depending on how your truck is equipped. Here is a link to trailer towing specs on a 2020 1500.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I think you should be able to tow at least 7k or more depending on how your truck is equipped. Here is a link to trailer towing specs on a 2020 1500.
I believe it but the uhual tailer with the highest payload is only 2,400 lbs. I have 4,288 lbs of tile to move.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I believe it but the uhual tailer with the highest payload is only 2,400 lbs. I have 4,288 lbs of tile to move.
Sorry about that, I had no idea the Uhall trailers were so under rated. :oops: I just looked at their specs.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Sorry about that, I had no idea the Uhall trailers were so under rated. :oops: I just looked at their specs.
No worries! I'm surprised their utility trailers don't haul more. If you look closely at them you can see a fill line for gravel that is just a few inches off the floor.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've extremely overlaoded vehicles. 1300bs of portland in a Honda Element.

IMHO if it's a nice flat highway drive, and you can load it slowly and secure it from movment, going way over isn't an issue unless you bottom out. Go slow, give lots of stopping room and just get it done.

OTOH there's a lot of places here you can rent a dump trailer for cheap ( $50-100 a day ) with 10,000lb ratings. Do it in one trip and save some time and gas. Try local places before sunbelt or united.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d vote to load the truck to its published limit, and the rest in the trailer, one trip, drive carefully, done.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
If it was me, I would just make 2 trips and not worry about being 500 pounds over. Again, that’s what I would do. It’s no big deal but some will disagree and that’s ok

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Get a trailer. Don't be stupid or lazy. The amount of work and back pain you will save by having a ramp to load/unload is alone worth it, let alone wear and tear on your truck that will be saved. After one trip of carrying 2,000 lbs off a bed of a truck, you will not want to do a second trip. I am a relatively fit/strong and 1400lbs out of a uhaul trailer with a dolly was more than enough work.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input. I took three trips and below is a picture of roughly 1,500 lbs of payload with my 1,800 lb payload capacity. I'm glad I didn't haul any more at one time. It felt safe, the ride was okay, but it felt near the limit of becoming not safe in anything outside of easy driving.

Attachments

• IMG_20200410_092246574_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200410_092246574_HDR.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 32

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I appreciate everyone's input. I took three trips and below is a picture of roughly 1,500 lbs of payload with my 1,800 lb payload capacity. I'm glad I didn't haul any more at one time. It felt safe, the ride was okay, but it felt near the limit of becoming not safe in anything outside of easy driving.
Vitamin M, stat!

Motrin to the uninitiated

Users who are viewing this thread