5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help breaking the rules.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I found a great deal on tile flooring about an hour away. I'd like to pick it all up in two trips instead of three.

The total weight of the tile is 4,288 lbs. My truck's sticker says the weight of passengers and cargo shouldn't exceed 1,824. I weigh 200.

If I do two trips, that's 2,144 lbs of tile and 200 lbs of me. About 500 lbs over the sticker limit. Is that safe for one hour? Is there a better way to spread out the weight?

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I found a great deal on tile flooring about an hour away. I'd like to pick it all up in two trips instead of three.

The total weight of the tile is 4,288 lbs. My truck's sticker says the weight of passengers and cargo shouldn't exceed 1,824. I weigh 200.

If I do two trips, that's 2,144 lbs of tile and 200 lbs of me. About 500 lbs over the sticker limit. Is that safe for one hour? Is there a better way to spread out the weight?
I have a crew cab in tradesmen trim with a 2wd V8 if you're curious. I'm sure the engine is not the weak point in this equation but rather the suspension and chassis.

NJC1684

Reaction score

You can rent a Uhaul for the price of those 2 trips.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
You can rent a Uhaul for the price of those 2 trips.
I hadn't thought of that. Gas is so cheap now though I don't mind two trips (4 hrs) but three trips (6 hours) wouldn't be fun.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I guess what I'd like to know is how strict the payload sticker is. I know some things like the fuel gauge have wiggle room built in.

2020BigHorn

Reaction score
You may be fine on these two trips but it will cause premature wear on your suspension. You’ll also probably bottom out the suspension anytime you hit a bump, especially at higher speeds. The cost to replace the suspension components isn’t worth it.

As stated, best bet is to get a trailer that can handle the load in one trip or a uhaul. A Home Depot/Menards truck rental is always an option as well, and i believe they may be super duties that can handle more weight.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
It seems like the biggest uhaul trailer can only haul 2,600 lbs. That leaves nearly 1,800 lbs of tile in the bed, not including tongue weight and my weight. The trailer would allow me to do it in two trips but not one.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First trip with trailer. When you get home, unhook trailer and unload bed. And go get the rest.

500 lbs over May be doable - but it will come with a risk, and you want to do it twice, an hour each time...

Also, how much space does 2100 pounds of flooring take?

2020 1500 Canadian Sport 4x4 Delmonico Red

Granite2WD

Reaction score
First trip with trailer. When you get home, unhook trailer and unload bed. And go get the rest.

500 lbs over May be doable - but it will come with a risk, and you want to do it twice, an hour each time...

Also, how much space does 2100 pounds of flooring take?

2020 1500 Canadian Sport 4x4 Delmonico Red

Good question. Each unit has 8 tiles that are 18" x 18" x 5/16", weighing 67 pounds per unit. There are 64 units.

Two trips and renting a uhaul trailer might be similar in time to three trips with no trailer. Gas is so cheap now it's probably close in cost too for the extra trip vs. renting a trailer.

VaBeachRam

Reaction score
I know when I loaded down (bed full of beer for golf tournament) my 4th gen the suspension squatted almost to the tires and when I got to about 50mph it would wobble side to side VERY bad. Pretty scary. I put in the helper bags after that and then would haul my 4 wheeler and it was smooth sailing. I vote for trailer if you don't have bags.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd say just rent a truck with a lift gate and do it in one trip. The lift gate will help you with the unloading as well and make life a little easier. Why tear up your truck when you can use the right tool for the job and do it in one trip?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like a good excuse to trade up for a 2500 ;). I would personally rent a uhaul and do it in one trip. Can't you rent the small ones for like $29.99 a day plus fuel.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Uhaul 6x12 is 29.95 for the day. that'll do it in 1 trip for sure
All of my local uhauls charge a base fee plus a mileage fee. I know time is money, but in this instance, I think I'll play it safe and make multiple (three) trips with my truck. With gas so cheap, that is the cheapest option.

VaBeachRam

Reaction score
All of my local uhauls charge a base fee plus a mileage fee. I know time is money, but in this instance, I think I'll play it safe and make multiple (three) trips with my truck. With gas so cheap, that is the cheapest option.

how will they know how far you went? Usually on trailers it’s just a flat fee

Granite2WD

Reaction score
The 6 x 12 has a maximum payload of 2,400 lbs. That leaves 1,888 lbs of tile. 1,888 + tongue weight + 200 lbs of me would exceed my truck's payload and necessitate two trips. I can make the third trip for less than 29.99 in gas. It's an extra two hours, but cheaper to make three trips without renting a trailer.

bfp9

Reaction score
The 6 x 12 has a maximum payload of 2,400 lbs. That leaves 1,888 lbs of tile. 1,888 + tongue weight + 200 lbs of me would exceed my truck's payload and necessitate two trips. I can make the third trip for less than 29.99 in gas. It's an extra two hours, but cheaper to make three trips without renting a trailer.

I moved almost 4,000lbs pounds of gym equipment in a 6x12 Uhaul with a ramp over three states and it was no issue at all. I think Uhaul puts a really low stated max weight.

You should be able to load all that tile into a 6x12 utility with ramp no problem and do it in 1 trip.

Users who are viewing this thread