5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need HELP and Advise...Electrical Issues...Maybe??

DoubleD142

Reaction score
Can anyone help me? I am having issues with my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport 4x4. I acquired it used with 8,500 miles on it. It is in immaculate condition and appears to be well maintained. After putting approx 800 miles and driving it for 1 month I had the tires rotated due to some uneven tread wear. The truck drove great and I put another 20 miles on it to get home. The next day while driving, it had a hard downshift while going up a hill and it told me that I needed to service the electronic stability control and it disabled that feature. I didn't think anything about really because when I pulled over and turned the truck off and back on there wasn't any warnings or lights on and the feature was back up and operational. While driving the truck now up a hill it had another hard shift with the service electronic stability control warning and now with the check engine light. I took it home and scheduled an appointment with my local Ram dealer to diagnose the problem. The next day when I took the truck 30 miles to the dealership it had the check engine light but no stability control warning. I turned the truck off and when the Tech came out to the truck and started it the check engine light vanished. He told me the codes were stored and he was going to flash it and do a couple of other things so that the transmission could learn my driving behavior. I live in rural Oklahoma so there is no traffic and stop lights are far and few. I drove it home after almost a week of them having it to diagnose it and make the changes. On the drive back home it had no issues. I thought the issue was fixed until I put another 50 miles on it or so. Same deal except this time no hills, and not only did it say I needed to service the electronic stability control but now my parking sensors and trailer brake system. I am getting pretty furious now because the truck has less than 10,000 miles. I schedule another appointment with the dealer and drop it off the next day. They have it another week and this time they tell me it needs a new valve body. The valve body is installed and they flash the truck again. I get it back from the dealer and my wife wants to do a road trip to Dallas. I couldn't think of a better way to make sure it was fixed so we take the truck. We make a trip up to Oklahoma City which is approx 80 miles away from us to drop the kiddos off with the in-laws and then we head straight back south to Dallas. The truck was running great again and had no issues at all.After a fun filled weekend and my confidence is gained back into the truck and almost back home the service electronic stability control light comes back on. I am furious at this point because I just put 1,000 miles on it with no problems. I scheduled an appointment to drop off the truck and I had to wait a couple days until a loaner showed back up for me to drive. I drove the pickup and no issues arose but the code was still stored for the tech and no dash light were showing. He told me after having it another week that it was a quart low on transmission fluid after the valve body was installed. He cleared everything and added the fluid and sent me on my way...one week later. I drive the truck for almost a week with no problems. We have a light rain storm that comes in and the roads are wet but nothing serious and BOOM out of no where my dash goes crazy. I have my electronic stability control light, trailer brake, parking sensors, cruise control, and transmission go out on me. My truck now sounds like it is a Cessna Prop plane in the cab. My RPM's skyrocket and my truck tells me not to stop until I reach my destination because it will no longer drive or shift into any gear. I get to my sons daycare and I have to have it towed back to the dealer. The truck would not even shut off until I took the battery cables off of it. So here I am in a loaner....again and now the tech is saying the next step is a new transmission and it is on order. However now the truck is running fine again with no codes on the dash sitting at the dealership. They are still not confident that the transmission will fix the truck.

I have put almost as many miles on my loaner, Dodge Journey as I have on my truck since I have had it.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM???? DO I HAVE A LEMON????

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t heard about this issue before but it certainly sounds like it’s electrical or the pcm . I hope the dealer gets it back working for you soon . I can certainly understand why you’d be pissed .

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Myabe that's why the truck was sold to the dealer with only 8k miles on it...
I would demand a rental for as long as it takes for them to install new computer components and transmission. Just have all of it taken care of before you get it back.

RamCares

Reaction score
Can anyone help me? I am having issues with my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport 4x4. I acquired it used with 8,500 miles on it. It is in immaculate condition and appears to be well maintained. After putting approx 800 miles and driving it for 1 month I had the tires rotated due to some uneven tread wear. The truck drove great and I put another 20 miles on it to get home. The next day while driving, it had a hard downshift while going up a hill and it told me that I needed to service the electronic stability control and it disabled that feature. I didn't think anything about really because when I pulled over and turned the truck off and back on there wasn't any warnings or lights on and the feature was back up and operational. While driving the truck now up a hill it had another hard shift with the service electronic stability control warning and now with the check engine light. I took it home and scheduled an appointment with my local Ram dealer to diagnose the problem. The next day when I took the truck 30 miles to the dealership it had the check engine light but no stability control warning. I turned the truck off and when the Tech came out to the truck and started it the check engine light vanished. He told me the codes were stored and he was going to flash it and do a couple of other things so that the transmission could learn my driving behavior. I live in rural Oklahoma so there is no traffic and stop lights are far and few. I drove it home after almost a week of them having it to diagnose it and make the changes. On the drive back home it had no issues. I thought the issue was fixed until I put another 50 miles on it or so. Same deal except this time no hills, and not only did it say I needed to service the electronic stability control but now my parking sensors and trailer brake system. I am getting pretty furious now because the truck has less than 10,000 miles. I schedule another appointment with the dealer and drop it off the next day. They have it another week and this time they tell me it needs a new valve body. The valve body is installed and they flash the truck again. I get it back from the dealer and my wife wants to do a road trip to Dallas. I couldn't think of a better way to make sure it was fixed so we take the truck. We make a trip up to Oklahoma City which is approx 80 miles away from us to drop the kiddos off with the in-laws and then we head straight back south to Dallas. The truck was running great again and had no issues at all.After a fun filled weekend and my confidence is gained back into the truck and almost back home the service electronic stability control light comes back on. I am furious at this point because I just put 1,000 miles on it with no problems. I scheduled an appointment to drop off the truck and I had to wait a couple days until a loaner showed back up for me to drive. I drove the pickup and no issues arose but the code was still stored for the tech and no dash light were showing. He told me after having it another week that it was a quart low on transmission fluid after the valve body was installed. He cleared everything and added the fluid and sent me on my way...one week later. I drive the truck for almost a week with no problems. We have a light rain storm that comes in and the roads are wet but nothing serious and BOOM out of no where my dash goes crazy. I have my electronic stability control light, trailer brake, parking sensors, cruise control, and transmission go out on me. My truck now sounds like it is a Cessna Prop plane in the cab. My RPM's skyrocket and my truck tells me not to stop until I reach my destination because it will no longer drive or shift into any gear. I get to my sons daycare and I have to have it towed back to the dealer. The truck would not even shut off until I took the battery cables off of it. So here I am in a loaner....again and now the tech is saying the next step is a new transmission and it is on order. However now the truck is running fine again with no codes on the dash sitting at the dealership. They are still not confident that the transmission will fix the truck.

I have put almost as many miles on my loaner, Dodge Journey as I have on my truck since I have had it.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM???? DO I HAVE A LEMON????

I am deeply sorry for the frustration, please do not hesitate to follow up with our customer care team for further support at this point. You may call in at 866-726-4636 or submit your info here to receive an email follow up. https://bit.ly/3fy5Kfo

Mark
RamCares

DoubleD142

Reaction score
I haven’t heard about this issue before but it certainly sounds like it’s electrical or the pcm . I hope the dealer gets it back working for you soon . I can certainly understand why you’d be pissed .
I love my truck when I am able to drive it.....I have never had intermittent issues like this though. I am hoping for a resolution soon.

DoubleD142

Reaction score
I am deeply sorry for the frustration, please do not hesitate to follow up with our customer care team for further support at this point. You may call in at 866-726-4636 or submit your info here to receive an email follow up. https://bit.ly/3fy5Kfo

Mark
RamCares
I called already and inquired about the issues. They advised me to let the the dealer techs work on it. They did not know of any issues like this. I am really bummed....:(

DoubleD142

Reaction score
I would demand a rental for as long as it takes for them to install new computer components and transmission. Just have all of it taken care of before you get it back.
I have logged a complete month in this Dodge Journey. HAHA...I do appreciate them taking care of me, but I wish I could drive the truck. I paid good money for it to be back and forth at the dealer.

RamCares

Reaction score
I called already and inquired about the issues. They advised me to let the the dealer techs work on it. They did not know of any issues like this. I am really bummed....:(

Please do not hesitate to send over your VIN or case number via private message so that I may look into this further for you.

Mark
RamCares

DoubleD142

Reaction score

Mark
RamCares
Please do not hesitate to send over your VIN or case number via private message so that I may look into this further for you.

Mark
RamCares
I clicked and completed the link you supplied. Thank you!

DoubleD142

Reaction score
So I have good news:) and should my pickup back by Monday. The tech found a split pcm connector pin. They were trying for several days to try and get the pickup to throw the codes and service lights with no luck. Today was the day though and it threw the code and service lights, and the tech was finally able to diagnose it properly.

RamCares

Reaction score
So I have good news:) and should my pickup back by Monday. The tech found a split pcm connector pin. They were trying for several days to try and get the pickup to throw the codes and service lights with no luck. Today was the day though and it threw the code and service lights, and the tech was finally able to diagnose it properly.

Thank you for sharing this update, glad to hear your dealer was able to diagnose! Please do not hesitate to keep us posted once you have your truck back!

Mark
RamCares

GaryT

Reaction score
Im glat to see that you found a tech who was willing to troubleshoot your problem instead of just throwing parts at it to see what works.

DoubleD142

Reaction score
Im glat to see that you found a tech who was willing to troubleshoot your problem instead of just throwing parts at it to see what works.
I was told that they were unable to duplicate the issue just two day prior to my phone call yesterday and they were going to give it back to me.I am so glad it messed up with them having it. Sounds so weird saying that, but that is what needed to happen.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If they have had the truck that long, I'd be asking about possibly getting one loan payment made by Ram for the troubles. You shouldnt have to pay for a truck that is sitting at the dealer for warranty work for over a month.

DoubleD142

Reaction score
If they have had the truck that long, I'd be asking about possibly getting one loan payment made by Ram for the troubles. You shouldnt have to pay for a truck that is sitting at the dealer for warranty work for over a month.
That makes sense. I would actually like to look more into getting a voucher for some free oil changes. Maybe ram cares can help me on this.....

Jako

Reaction score
Just hit 20,870 miles and will be 2 years November 24th and it just did what you first described. Thanks for the posting. Would you be able to post the service ticket? Thanks

Update: Working now after sitting for an hour or so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread