5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need everyone’s opinion

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You just asked the patients in the asylum if they were crazy. Nah, we're the sane ones!

McMurphy: What do you think you are, for Christ's sake, crazy or something? Well, you're not! You're not! You're no crazier than the average a$$hole out walking around on the streets and that's it!
Nurse Ratched: Those are very challenging observations you made, Randall.

Standrk

Reaction score
Not Nuts!!! I've been using this method for years on all my cars. I got crazy looks from the neighbors as they drove by and low and behold fast forward a year and they are now blowing off their cars after they wash them. Go through any drive thru car wash and what happens at the end? Huge blowers blow of the water off your car. There is no difference....you're just taking a personal touch!!!

RAMpage

Reaction score
I have a green Hitachi leaf blower and I use it exactly for the cars. Its fantastic dealing with the Houston Pollen which lasts for weeks. In an hour your car is covered and in a few minutes its all gone.

I have the same one (most common gas powered one out there I assume because it's so damn good!) - one of the most useful tools I have. Great for drying the truck/car and also blowing stuff out of the bed (usually pine needles). Since I switched to white trucks from black my OCD level has gone wayyyyyy down about keeping the truck clean.

Lize

Reaction score
I use a Greenworks 40V battery one, bought in the guise of rental property garden maintenance and only ever used for drying cars :D

EDIT: Actually I lie, I do use it to blow fine hedge trimmings away, just never on leaves.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
I am always afraid I will blow sand and dust up on it, I use a squeegee

wvinson

Reaction score
I've been using a blower for 30 years to dry my black cars -- no streaking and no chance of scratching!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I am nuts also. Just want to dispel some myths.

The water spots you get from rain will come right off on the next wash, so you really don't have to dry your truck every time it rains.

Had that been a sprinkler going off next to your truck, then yes, you should drop everything and rinse then dry the truck whenever possible, since tap water is usually full of minerals and can potentially stain/etch your paint if left there to dry. More so if it happens during the day and the hot sun bakes it in.

Cheers,

Bluesurf

Reaction score

The water spots you get from rain will come right off on the next wash, so you really don't have to dry your truck every time it rains.

Had that been a sprinkler going off next to your truck, then yes, you should drop everything and rinse then dry the truck whenever possible, since tap water is usually full of minerals and can potentially stain/etch your paint if left there to dry. More so if it happens during the day and the hot sun bakes it in.

Cheers,
[/QUOTE
Totally agree, I'm in Houston and its been very hot. My Ram is in for warranty work on some water getting in above the driver on the ceiling, nothing wet however, my carpeted mat has a silver sheen and I see the drip on the leather door rest. Its either the hose or the grommet needing sealant. Anyway I got a loaner and left it in my driveway by the grass. I ran the sprinklers twice this morning for this zone. I found the windows and the paint loaded with white calcium stains. I had to use CLR on the glass and elbow grease on the side to clean the paint up. What a pain in the azz!

lost demon

Reaction score
Tonight after work I went over my parent’s house to pick up my kids and my mom asked me if I wanted to stay for dinner. So I called my wife and had her meet us over there. During dinner it started raining out, so naturally my truck got soaked. It was a quick storm, only lasted about ten or fifteen minutes. I left shortly after dinner, and the kids jumped in with my wife and left a few minutes after me.

I recently waxed my truck and on the drive home I was watching all the water bead up on my hood and realized that there would be water spots all over my otherwise shiny, beautiful RAM. It was then that I decided that I would break out my back-pack leaf blower and blow dry my truck when I got home. I didn’t want to wipe it and risk scratches and/or swirl marks, but I knew I wanted it dried.

I was in the middle of drying my truck when my wife pulled down the driveway. I could tell by the look on her face that she thought I was nuts. My suspicion was confirmed when she pulled up along side me, rolled down the window and said “you’re nuts!” She and my kids had a good laugh at my expense.

I think it was a perfectly reasonable thing to do. What do you think?

Your comments are welcome.

Thanks for your time and have a great night!
I think you were perfectly nuts also . you should have waited till she got home and let her do it . convince her she could do a much better job ( picture your favorite emoji here ) lol. But in reality , why not its your truck and your time.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
One of the Nice things about being in Rebel now compared to my Mustang is I generally don't care if my Truck look's dirty (I still wax it once a month etc etc) But in general I just let ride,

I was like that with my Mustang though, I guess just mentally I'm like "A Sports car should look good! Off-Road truck? Bah it can be dirty"

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Cheers,
No, you are not nuts. I don't get spots from rain water. The sprinkler and the hose....yes.

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
I've been using a leaf blower (electric) for at least 5 years to dry my vehicles after a wash. Prevents spots, shortens dry time and blows out all that water from behind mirrors, grilles, and hiding spots so you can move on to giving your car or truck a proper wax job. I probably use it to blow leaves or lawn stuff 4 or 5 times a year but use it on the cars and to dry the garage floor 25 times a year.

BTK20

Reaction score
Not crazy! I have read and have been told to not use a gas powered blower though, as it will blow dirty exhaust all over the paint. Is it worth worrying about? I have no idea, but I use an electric for the truck and a gas one for leaves.

byebyebowtie

Reaction score
id say nuts for the timing not the technique. I use a blower to dry my truck after washes but driving on wet roads you collected a lot of dirt and grime. Besides rain doesn't really leave spots on a well prepped vehicle, ground water does.

Users who are viewing this thread