5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need audio advice

Vargil

Reaction score
Ok so let’s just say I haven’t messed with car audio since you had to buy a separate device to have XM radio and install the antenna!
Now that we have established my age, what I’m trying to figure out is that I have changed the 6 factory speakers to try to improve the sound but not much has changed. I was considering getting a 6 channel amp and running everything into it but the 3.5s are 50 RMS while the doors are 90 RMS. I’d love to add a single sub also just to give a little bass.
Can I run just the door speakers to an amp and bridge the other two for a sub, while leaving the dash on the radio output? If not will I blow the dash if I go 6 channel amp that is 100 RMS and do a separate mono amp for the sub?
I’ll take any suggestions on equipment also.

Vargil

Reaction score
While I’m asking, if anyone knows of a custom enclosure for a single 10 for the 5th Gen I’m all ears.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, You definitely need to use a cross for the dash speakers or at least install a bass blocker on them, that will solve your wattage problem.
Second, One amp to power all 7 speakers? I don't think that's a good idea.
I don't think the dash speakers are going to be loud enough as the amplified aftermarket speakers, so you need to hook the dash spkrs to an amp too.

Sub box: https://www.ebay.com/i/254549341346...549341346&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2386202&algv=Default

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
In the base 6 speaker setup the dash speakers and the front door speakers are ran parallel with each other. Under the driver seat you will have the ANC system which gives you the prefect spot to get the signal for your amp. I recommend using a ANC bypass harness and cutting into that instead of the factory wires. The six channel amp will work and will eliminate the need for more equipment. But the dash and door speakers will be sharing that 100watts RMS from the amp.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I’m asking, if anyone knows of a custom enclosure for a single 10 for the 5th Gen I’m all ears.

I’d be happy to share my dimensions but here’s my single 10” box I built. Fits in the OEM underseat enclosure.

12a821c1402f463c480e752fbe1d0394.jpg

I have the base 6 as well. I replaced all my speakers with Infinity References. I also run a 5 channel amp and an audio control lc7. 4 channels for speakers and 1 for my sub. Cleaned up the muddy sound and gave the music more depth.

280918553140a6f8c35a802b9ae6e46e.jpg

Last edited:

Vargil

Reaction score
First of all, You definitely need to use a cross for the dash speakers or at least install a bass blocker on them, that will solve your wattage problem.
I don't think the dash speakers are going to be loud enough as the amplified aftermarket speakers, so you need to hook the dash spkrs to an amp too.

Sub box: https://www.ebay.com/i/254549341346?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid=1110001&algo=SPLICE.SIM&ao=2&asc=20160908110712&meid=d6ab52c2e9ea466db9f957aa0dce10ea&pid=100677&rk=7&rkt=30&mehot=none&sd=254517738234&itm=254549341346&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2386202&algv=Default
Appreciate it. My hope was to avoid running two amps

Vargil

Reaction score
I’d be happy to share my dimensions but here’s my single 10” box I built. Fits in the OEM underseat enclosure.

12a821c1402f463c480e752fbe1d0394.jpg

I have the base 6 as well. I replaced all my speakers with Infinity References. I also run a 5 channel amp and an audio control lc7. 4 channels for speakers and 1 for my sub. Cleaned up the muddy sound and gave the music more depth.

280918553140a6f8c35a802b9ae6e46e.jpg
I don’t have that under seat storage. I like that though

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score

would you suggest this? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_007BB600/Crutchfield-Bass-Blockers-600-Hz-cut-off.html

MikeyLikey619

Reaction score
I just dropped $1200 on a sound system yesterday that’s being installed currently. I went with a JL 10 wt3 power wedge box. Fits perfect under my back seat and doesn’t take too much room. You can find options. I love JL AUDIO.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the base 6 speaker setup the dash speakers and the front door speakers are ran parallel with each other. Under the driver seat you will have the ANC system which gives you the prefect spot to get the signal for your amp. I recommend using a ANC bypass harness and cutting into that instead of the factory wires. The six channel amp will work and will eliminate the need for more equipment. But the dash and door speakers will be sharing that 100watts RMS from the amp.
where can i find that "Anc Harness"? :unsure: :unsure:

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
where can i find that "Anc Harness"? :unsure: :unsure:
This is the least expensive out there but gives you all of the speaker cables and allows you to completely remove the anc computer from under the seat.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You should have been able to mount that amp behind the smaller seat (maybe with a couple stand-offs if you have some modules back there). Give you some more storage back .. I love the install, though!!

RichInMN

Reaction score
My 2 cents, a 5 or 6 channel amp, but run new wires to the dash and put them on their own channels, while running front and rear doors together on the other set of channels.

This allows you to independently adjust crossover point and power of those dash speakers. Good luck!

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should have been able to mount that amp behind the smaller seat (maybe with a couple stand-offs if you have some modules back there). Give you some more storage back .. I love the install, though!!

I agree completely with relocating to free up storage, on the flipside where the amp is at now simplified my wire runs. I’m lazy so I took the easy way out lol!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AND

you did it for testing prior to finalization -- we will go with that answer :)

Users who are viewing this thread