5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advise running boards

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
MOPAR matte black
extruded aluminum w/plastic end caps/step pads/bracket protectors
20 min install...9 nuts per side...NO thread chasing required
function & style with OEM quality & durability...perfect match for REBEL matte bumpers & trim
got 'em
FREE @ www.chrysler.ca/en/autoability
View attachment 18991 View attachment 18992 View attachment 18993 View attachment 18996 View attachment 18995 View attachment 19712

Nice, I just got a set of these with the stock 8mm flange bolts. You mention no thread chasing? So I don't need to clean the paint off the bolts before installing these?

dsn112

Reaction score
Nice, I just got a set of these with the stock 8mm flange bolts. You mention no thread chasing? So I don't need to clean the paint off the bolts before installing these?

I dunno how you don't need thread chasing, I had to for each bolt.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I dunno how you don't need thread chasing, I had to for each bolt.

I got a good look at the bolts, they are full of paint. I will definitely need to chase them. I bought a 8mm x 1.25 die tap to chase the threads and a wire brush to clean them.

dsn112

Reaction score
my truck is red too. Only way I could avoid chasing would be to impact them on at full speed, but I wan't to be able to get them off one day.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
my truck is red too. Only way I could avoid chasing would be to impact them on at full speed, but I wan't to be able to get them off one day.

Probably not a good idea :)

I also read the instruction to my OEM Mopar running boards, it states about 15 ft-lbs of torque, which isn't a lot, about the amount to tighten the drain bolt on my motorcycle. So I'll be doing my best to remove the paint on the threads so I can get a accurate torque set on the bolts.

Damion

Reaction score
I went with the mopar gloss black boards. Fit great and match my truck well.

They actually have have a slight pearl to them when looked at closely. They are also very glossy.

For what it’s worth I only had to chase the bottom 2 bolts of each set. The top bolts were fine and not much paint buildup. Chasing the threads was the worst part of the whole ordeal

sarge40

Reaction score
I got a set of the Mopar wheel to wheel stainless boards. MSRP is not horrible but a little pricey, Mopar had a 15% off accessories coupon last month, so it made it more palatable. I was looking at some other boards, but some places wanted about $200 to ship. Completely offset any savings in those instances. Definitely could have found some on Amazon with free shipping that would have come out cheaper, but this was the style I was actually looking for and couldn't find anything similar, of any quality, for less.

And yes, definitely had to chase the threads. On a positive note, didn't even need to lift the truck to get them on.

Zeeya

Reaction score
NFAB Epyx, I chose these for protection along the lower panel. I am always traveling on lease roads and these tires really hold on to them.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I went with the mopar gloss black boards. Fit great and match my truck well.

They actually have have a slight pearl to them when looked at closely. They are also very glossy.

For what it’s worth I only had to chase the bottom 2 bolts of each set. The top bolts were fine and not much paint buildup. Chasing the threads was the worst part of the whole ordeal

I wasn't sure how I was going to like the Mopar boards, but I honestly love them, they look good in person.

Yup, chasing was required. However, the 8mm x 1.25mm tap die I used worked amazing. I connected it to a 1" socket and wrench to tighten around each bolt. It removed the paint so well, I could use my fingers to remove the die with ease. When I put on each screw, I could finger screw them all the way down like nothing. I was then able to put on the correct 15 ft-lbs of torque required for each nut.

In fact, the nuts twisted on so easily after chasing them with the die, I used some blue Loctite to make sure they don't come loose.

Users who are viewing this thread