5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice - I think I have a Mopar lift but want another 1" or 2"

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s what the fox tech sent me on measuring. It’s primitive, but gets the job done to their spec.
A9BD5C78-779A-4676-88BA-09494869DDD5.png

NCLife

Reaction score
I had those same coilovers you have. The proper “official” answer is yes, you should not go over 2.5 inches lift on those. The answer I coaxed out of the fox technician I always talk to is that I can go as high as I want up to 3” (which fox defines as the limit of the geometry).

You can absolutely put a top hat spacer on the top part of the coilover if you want. That’s just not what Fox or carli likes to do. They are focused on performance, while what you may want is just looks or a combo of the two. The only limitation you have on the tophat spacer is that you can fit a 1/2 inch spacer or a 2 inch spacer. Anything in between will cause a problem with having enough threads to tighten the coil over to the frame. I guess if you found a 1.5 inch spacer in trimmed the tops of the bolts it might work (but I haven’t tried that).
Thank you

NCLife

Reaction score
I am also thinking about pulling the trigger on the Carli Commuter system for my 2019 Big Horn. If yours includes the carli upper control arms, then the kit is just over $3,105 for parts right now:

They're supposedly very nice and make a big difference.

If you don't mind, I have some questions for you @NCLife ...
-- Is your truck leveled or do you have some rake still? @CornfieldCadillac, I've seen some discrepencies on their website for how much it'll bring the front up (ranging from 1.5" to 2"). So I'm curious on this one.
-- Carli states you'll need somewhat extensive trimming to fit 35" tires with this kit. How does it look in the wheel well area? Are you getting any rubbing?
-- Would you mind showing a picture of the truck? I'm still trying to decide wheels and tires...

TIA
@Corvus Eight Here are some pics. It sits level as you can see. The 35's were rubbing, I did some minor trimming and some heat gun work on the wheel well liners. That eliminated all but a little rubbing at full lock turning in one direction. Those Ridge Grapplers are pretty big 35's, I've had them on Jeeps. They were already on the truck when I bought it. As far as ride quality goes it rides great. The context for me though is that I came from a 2020 Jeep JLUR, which of course rides terribly in comparison. I also of course, never drove it stock, so I have no idea how it compares. I hope this all helps.

Attachments

• F59B6CA7-9AE5-4586-A182-39B31F24168C.jpeg
    F59B6CA7-9AE5-4586-A182-39B31F24168C.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 436E5A06-94A8-487E-BF64-DA483A3FD06B.jpeg
    436E5A06-94A8-487E-BF64-DA483A3FD06B.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 38

NCLife

Reaction score
@Corvus Eight Here are some pics. It sits level as you can see. The 35's were rubbing, I did some minor trimming and some heat gun work on the wheel well liners. That eliminated all but a little rubbing at full lock turning in one direction. Those Ridge Grapplers are pretty big 35's, I've had them on Jeeps. They were already on the truck when I bought it. As far as ride quality goes it rides great. The context for me though is that I came from a 2020 Jeep JLUR, which of course rides terribly in comparison. I also of course, never drove it stock, so I have no idea how it compares. I hope this all helps.
P.S. Those are Method wheels (18" I believe) and 35" Ridge Grapplers.

NCLife

Reaction score
I had those same coilovers you have. The proper “official” answer is yes, you should not go over 2.5 inches lift on those. The answer I coaxed out of the fox technician I always talk to is that I can go as high as I want up to 3” (which fox defines as the limit of the geometry).

You can absolutely put a top hat spacer on the top part of the coilover if you want. That’s just not what Fox or carli likes to do. They are focused on performance, while what you may want is just looks or a combo of the two. The only limitation you have on the tophat spacer is that you can fit a 1/2 inch spacer or a 2 inch spacer. Anything in between will cause a problem with having enough threads to tighten the coil over to the frame. I guess if you found a 1.5 inch spacer in trimmed the tops of the bolts it might work (but I haven’t tried that). .
Thanks again for this. So recognizing what you said about front top hat spacer considerations, I could use this correct - MotoFab RAM 1500 2-Inch Front Leveling Kit DR-2 (06-23 4WD RAM 1500 w/o Air Ride, Excluding Mega Cab) - Free Shipping. This uses the strut studs to mount the spacer and then the spacer studs mount to the body

Also, to keep it level I do 1" less in the rear than what I put front? I actually like just the slightest of rake forward but level is my second choice. I'm not sure if that matters for your answer.

TIA

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks again for this. So recognizing what you said about front top hat spacer considerations, I could use this correct - MotoFab RAM 1500 2-Inch Front Leveling Kit DR-2 (06-23 4WD RAM 1500 w/o Air Ride, Excluding Mega Cab) - Free Shipping. This uses the strut studs to mount the spacer and then the spacer studs mount to the body

Also, to keep it level I do 1" less in the rear than what I put front? I actually like just the slightest of rake forward but level is my second choice. I'm not sure if that matters for your answer.

TIA
There is a huge potential to start grenading CV axles if you do not set a combination of tophat and preload correctly. The tallest combo tophat and preload spacer I’ve seen is 3.5”, which is a 2” top hat and preload spacer that sets an extra 1.5” on non-org shocks and springs. You would probably need to get a tophat to center of lower eyelet measurement of the total length of the readylift 3.5 strut/tophat with suspension fully loaded to make sure your preload/tophat combo doesn’t exceed that length. It will be a giant pita to take the strut on and off several times to make adjustments of the collar (setting preload on your springs), but it will be worth it to not destroy cv axles. I say to compare strut measurements loaded because that takes differing spring rates out of the equation. I’m not sure if you’ll need a longer uca. The fox/carli 2.0’s are shorter than stock already, so you might get away with the uca you have.

For a level, if you set at 1.5ish higher in the front then it won’t look nose-high. If you set 2” higher upfront, it will be very close to level but you will look at it sometimes an wonder if it’s nose-high.

Last edited:

Corvus Eight

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply man. Appreciate it

NCLife

Reaction score
There is a huge potential to start grenading CV axles if you do not set a combination of tophat and preload correctly. The tallest combo tophat and preload spacer I’ve seen is 3.5”, which is a 2” top hat and preload spacer that sets an extra 1.5” on non-org shocks and springs. You would probably need to get a tophat to center of lower eyelet measurement of the total length of the readylift 3.5 strut/tophat with suspension fully loaded to make sure your preload/tophat combo doesn’t exceed that length. It will be a giant pita to take the strut on and off several times to make adjustments of the collar (setting preload on your springs), but it will be worth it to not destroy cv axles. I say to compare strut measurements loaded because that takes differing spring rates out of the equation. I’m not sure if you’ll need a longer uca. The fox/carli 2.0’s are shorter than stock already, so you might get away with the uca you have.

For a level, if you set at 1.5ish higher in the front then it won’t look nose-high. If you set 2” higher upfront, it will be very close to level but you will look at it sometimes an wonder if it’s nose-high.
@djevox just getting back to thinking about doing this. I just want to test my thinking on this. So, I don't want to mess with a preload spacer. I'm thinking a 2.5 top hat spacer and either a 1" rear coil spacer or just getting 1" lift rear springs like the Bilstein B12. That seems like the simplest solution. Any issues you would see with adding that?

Users who are viewing this thread