5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice - I think I have a Mopar lift but want another 1" or 2"

NCLife

Reaction score
So, I bought a 2020 Laramie that has the Mopar lift and 35's. I'd like another 1-2" lift. I'm experienced in lifting Jeeps and have done 3 myself. What is the best approach for me? Can I just throw in spacers? Do I have to worry about it messing up the geometry or steering? What do I need to know and what's the best approach? TIA.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry dude. You cannot go any farther or you will destroy your front end. If you have the ORP then you already have 3 inches with the Bilsteins and the front coil. You can go 2 more inches in the back but if you want more in the front then it's a 4 inch lift kit for you my friend.

Last edited:

NCLife

Reaction score
Sorry dude. You cannot go any farther or you will destroy your front end. If you have the ORP then you already have 3 inches with the Bilteins and the front coil. You can go 2 more inches in the back but if you want more in the front then it's a 4 inch lift kit for you my friend.
Thank you

NCLife

Reaction score
Okay so I don't appear to have the Mopar lift after all. No spacer in the rear and the front coilovers don't look like the pics I've seen of the fox ones that come with the lift. The front coilovers have a lot more thread for me to push the front up. It would also appear I can add a spacer to the rear. See the pics @H2OMAN. Does that affect your answer at all? TIA

Attachments

• 8FA449AE-82BD-4570-8B77-30CF865525B4.jpeg
    8FA449AE-82BD-4570-8B77-30CF865525B4.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 77
  • BA9E982A-45EC-40C3-9846-B22A8D42D22C.jpeg
    BA9E982A-45EC-40C3-9846-B22A8D42D22C.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 78
  • DFE68AB0-BF0F-4D96-BF44-A9F5CE8AEF54.jpeg
    DFE68AB0-BF0F-4D96-BF44-A9F5CE8AEF54.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 76
  • C0BA188D-01B3-4BB4-90E4-B55720D3FDEC.jpeg
    C0BA188D-01B3-4BB4-90E4-B55720D3FDEC.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 77

NCLife

Reaction score
Also, any idea what kind sway bar end links those are in the rear?

Poswah

Reaction score
I can't answer your question, but it looks like you have the Fox 2.0 coilovers up front. Part number 98502136. I'm curious as to how you like the ride? I'm looking at these to piece together my own 2"lift.
8ac9ff83bbc2167ce382a1478bb1bd22.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

NCLife

Reaction score
I can't answer your question, but it looks like you have the Fox 2.0 coilovers up front. Part number 98502136. I'm curious as to how you like the ride? I'm looking at these to piece together my own 2"lift.
8ac9ff83bbc2167ce382a1478bb1bd22.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
The ride is really nice but I have no comparison to know what stock feels like.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay so I don't appear to have the Mopar lift after all. No spacer in the rear and the front coilovers don't look like the pics I've seen of the fox ones that come with the lift. The front coilovers have a lot more thread for me to push the front up. It would also appear I can add a spacer to the rear. See the pics @H2OMAN. Does that affect your answer at all? TIA
The fronts are Fox 2.0. They have the unmistakable Eibach coils. So, yes you can turn those threads up for more lift. You should be able to add spacers in the rear just keep in mind that the Fox rear shocks will ony let you go 2 inches higher over stock. And those sway bar end links appear to be Carli. Hope that helps.

NCLife

Reaction score
The fronts are Fox 2.0. They have the unmistakable Eibach coils. So, yes you can turn those threads up for more lift. You should be able to add spacers in the rear just keep in mind that the Fox rear shocks will ony let you go 2 inches higher over stock. And those sway bar end links appear to be Carli. Hope that helps.
You're the man. Thanks

NCLife

Reaction score
I assume the other option in the rear is to get different springs that will give me additional lift @H2OMAN ? I think I also need to figure out if I have any lift at all now. It appears to me that the front coilovers were left in the "stock" position. So with no spacer in the back, I'm at no lift at all but he likely leveled it with the front coilovers. That's my working theory now. I need to get some height measurements of a stock Laramie like mine.

Reaction score
Judging by your photos, it looks like you have the Commuter System from Carli Suspension. The rear end links and multi-rate rear coil springs give it away. This lift/level kit comes with special custom tuned Fox 2.0 shocks and is not a standard Fox 2.0 shock. Their shocks actually have a slightly different part number than the standard shocks (first 3 digits are 986 vs 985 with the standard shocks) due to the custom tune. Carli has their front coilovers set for 1.5” lift up front compared to stock without the Off-road Group, so I’m not sure how much more adjustment you have from there but I’d imagine you’d still have some wiggle room. The rear multi-rate springs provide a 1” lift from stock assuming you have their standard rear spring, again without the Off-road Group. I don’t have this setup myself yet, but I’m seriously thinking of going with this system in the near future hence why I recognized it. It may be worthwhile to try reaching out to them to see what they would recommend for adding additional lift.

Attachments

• 3D4D2D75-5F76-4D85-9263-53BD909EFCC8.jpeg
    3D4D2D75-5F76-4D85-9263-53BD909EFCC8.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 43

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're the man. Thanks
Judging by your photos, it looks like you have the Commuter System from Carli Suspension. The rear end links and multi-rate rear coil springs give it away. This lift/level kit comes with special custom tuned Fox 2.0 shocks and is not a standard Fox 2.0 shock. Their shocks actually have a slightly different part number than the standard shocks (first 3 digits are 986 vs 985 with the standard shocks) due to the custom tune. Carli has their front coilovers set for 1.5” lift up front compared to stock without the Off-road Group, so I’m not sure how much more adjustment you have from there but I’d imagine you’d still have some wiggle room. The rear multi-rate springs provide a 1” lift from stock assuming you have their standard rear spring, again without the Off-roadNCLife, Group. I don’t have this setup myself yet, but I’m seriously thinking of going with this system in the near future hence why I recognized it. It may be worthwhile to try reaching out to them to see what they would recommend for adding additional lift.

Judging by your photos, it looks like you have the Commuter System from Carli Suspension. The rear end links and multi-rate rear coil springs give it away. This lift/level kit comes with special custom tuned Fox 2.0 shocks and is not a standard Fox 2.0 shock. Their shocks actually have a slightly different part number than the standard shocks (first 3 digits are 986 vs 985 with the standard shocks) due to the custom tune. Carli has their front coilovers set for 1.5” lift up front compared to stock without the Off-road Group, so I’m not sure how much more adjustment you have from there but I’d imagine you’d still have some wiggle room. The rear multi-rate springs provide a 1” lift from stock assuming you have their standard rear spring, again without the Off-road Group. I don’t have this setup myself yet, but I’m seriously thinking of going with this system in the near future hence why I recognized it. It may be worthwhile to try reaching out to them to see what they would recommend for adding additional lift.
I think this is your answer.

NCLife

Reaction score
Thank you @CornfieldCadillac ! I think you are exactly right. This was incredibly helpful.

Corvus Eight

Reaction score
I am also thinking about pulling the trigger on the Carli Commuter system for my 2019 Big Horn. If yours includes the carli upper control arms, then the kit is just over $3,105 for parts right now:

They're supposedly very nice and make a big difference.

If you don't mind, I have some questions for you @NCLife ...
-- Is your truck leveled or do you have some rake still? @CornfieldCadillac, I've seen some discrepencies on their website for how much it'll bring the front up (ranging from 1.5" to 2"). So I'm curious on this one.
-- Carli states you'll need somewhat extensive trimming to fit 35" tires with this kit. How does it look in the wheel well area? Are you getting any rubbing?
-- Would you mind showing a picture of the truck? I'm still trying to decide wheels and tires...

TIA

NCLife

Reaction score
I am also thinking about pulling the trigger on the Carli Commuter system for my 2019 Big Horn. If yours includes the carli upper control arms, then the kit is just over $3,105 for parts right now:

They're supposedly very nice and make a big difference.

If you don't mind, I have some questions for you @NCLife ...
-- Is your truck leveled or do you have some rake still? @CornfieldCadillac, I've seen some discrepencies on their website for how much it'll bring the front up (ranging from 1.5" to 2"). So I'm curious on this one.
-- Carli states you'll need somewhat extensive trimming to fit 35" tires with this kit. How does it look in the wheel well area? Are you getting any rubbing?
-- Would you mind showing a picture of the truck? I'm still trying to decide wheels and tires...

TIA
Just saw this. I'll snap some pics and post those for you tomorrow.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw this. I'll snap some pics and post those for you tomorrow.
I’m not sure if you’ve messed with the preload yet, but if you do, there are three important things to follow:
1) use a strut compressor to fully release pressure from the collar before loosening or spinning.
2) Rotation is 2:1, so 1/4” higher up (i.e. more preload) = 1/2” lift
3) most important: measure the length the coilover is now, then measure the length that it should be when preset from the factory and check that the difference in the collar height equals the expected difference in the current lift over stock.

About number three: I got mine and did not check, and it turned out that I had a bad spring on one of the coilovers. It barely presented itself at pre-set height but became very apparent the more I set preload.

Here’s a couple highlights. First is me compressing it when I was trying to figure out what was wrong, and in the second pic, notice how many threads are showing on the coilover body below the collar. That was twice what was needed to set 3”. Third pic shows bad spring next to new spring- the pic is deceiving, but there was only an 8th inch difference between them when unloaded.

C05D5CDA-FFC0-4E7C-872E-953BFC00FFB1.jpeg
288ADF94-6CEC-41C0-9BD4-F9FC31485627.jpeg
3C017079-00CD-499B-B8C5-46BD86B0221D.jpeg

NCLife

Reaction score
I’m not sure if you’ve messed with the preload yet, but if you do, there are three important things to follow:
1) use a strut compressor to fully release pressure from the collar before loosening or spinning.
2) Rotation is 2:1, so 1/4” higher up (i.e. more preload) = 1/2” lift
3) most important: measure the length the coilover is now, then measure the length that it should be when preset from the factory and check that the difference in the collar height equals the expected difference in the current lift over stock.

About number three: I got mine and did not check, and it turned out that I had a bad spring on one of the coilovers. It barely presented itself at pre-set height but became very apparent the more I set preload.

Here’s a couple highlights. First is me compressing it when I was trying to figure out what was wrong, and in the second pic, notice how many threads are showing on the coilover body below the collar. That was twice what was needed to set 3”. Third pic shows bad spring next to new spring- the pic is deceiving, but there was only an 8th inch difference between them when unloaded.

View attachment 154054
View attachment 154055
View attachment 154057
This was sage wisdom, thank you. Were you providing this generally or were you implying you have the same lift? I ask because I called and emailed Carli and they told me they are not to be adjusted and I would need to swap out the lift for a different one they sell. Now, that may just be the answer they wanted me to execute on and spend more with them and simultaneously avoid offering an option they don't sell. So, I'm not sure there aren't other options. I don't know why adding spacers all around wouldn't be an option? I know a decent amount about lifts but I'm not an expert.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This was sage wisdom, thank you. Were you providing this generally or were you implying you have the same lift? I ask because I called and emailed Carli and they told me they are not to be adjusted and I would need to swap out the lift for a different one they sell. Now, that may just be the answer they wanted me to execute on and spend more with them and simultaneously avoid offering an option they don't sell. So, I'm not sure there aren't other options. I don't know why adding spacers all around wouldn't be an option? I know a decent amount about lifts but I'm not an expert.
I had those same coilovers you have. The proper “official” answer is yes, you should not go over 2.5 inches lift on those. The answer I coaxed out of the fox technician I always talk to is that I can go as high as I want up to 3” (which fox defines as the limit of the geometry).

You can absolutely put a top hat spacer on the top part of the coilover if you want. That’s just not what Fox or carli likes to do. They are focused on performance, while what you may want is just looks or a combo of the two. The only limitation you have on the tophat spacer is that you can fit a 1/2 inch spacer or a 2 inch spacer. Anything in between will cause a problem with having enough threads to tighten the coil over to the frame. I guess if you found a 1.5 inch spacer in trimmed the tops of the bolts it might work (but I haven’t tried that).

Users who are viewing this thread