5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation update, anyone try it yet? (2021 Map Update for Uconnect® 4C NAV w/ 12" touchscreen (v3 SBX): For U.S. Only)

LV426

Reaction score
So has anyone had any success installing this Navigation update? Starting this thread to kind of keep track and see how it goes.
I assume most will pass because they are making us pay for it ($149) and I believe mostly everyone uses Waze/google maps which is better, more reliable and FREE...+

Also, did anyone get an update that this was available? Its hard to imagine that they would not provide some sort of communication that something like this is available but Uconnect seems like the Radio Shack of vehicle infotainment so I guess I'm not surprised.

Attachments

• nav update.JPG
    nav update.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't know about the Truck/RV app, I use the Sygic Car Navigation Premium+ with traffic, monthly map updates, live navigation which uses your phones camera and overlays your route. Never had a problem with it.

Scott_R

Reaction score
It takes a relatively long time to collect and then verify and approve map changes as legalities and liabilities are involved and the data must be thoroughly vetted before it's released. That takes time and effort. It's not unusual for "new" map updates to be several quarters old, this is still considered a "new" map. It's dated the fourth quarter of 2020 so, that's not that old in terms of what it takes to generate and approve this type of data. It's actually kind of amazing they can do it as fast as they do, this is not an easy task. In industry, it typically takes a year or more to do anything significant.

The next version, being developed now, may not be out until the third or fourth quarter of 2022, so this is the newest data available. It's all about the logistics, costs, and legalities involved. Many things released in 2021 were developed in 2020 or even earlier. At least they're honest about it, they could have been deceitful.

This update is optional, many choose to skip updates until they figure it's worth it while others always want the latest data available regardless of cost. At least they're providing everyone a choice.
I mean I get that this was the old way with waterfall software updates, however that is clearly not how Waze and Google maps work today with a massively agile crowd source approach. I can add a new street in my division, and it will be on the screen in days. Meanwhile, TomTom is showing the speed in my neighborhood at 55MPH. 🤔😡 TomTom, Garmin, and other companies that might still be using waterfall product development need to stop hiding behind "legalities and liabilities."

ram813ltd

Reaction score
don't call Uconnect for your problem. call HERE the map maker/supplier.
my mapping had issues. help desk figured out after 30 minutes it was 'offset' and fixed it OTA
map was clueless as to POIs like i was in a different country.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Don't know about the Truck/RV app, I use the Sygic Car Navigation Premium+ with traffic, monthly map updates, live navigation which uses your phones camera and overlays your route. Never had a problem with it.
The Sygic Car nav app and the Sygic Truck/RV nav app are different. The car app does not have custom routing. Its reviews are very good whereas the RV/Truck version reviews are bad.

Last edited:

HAL9001

Reaction score
I mean I get that this was the old way with waterfall software updates, however that is clearly not how Waze and Google maps work today with a massively agile crowd source approach. I can add a new street in my division, and it will be on the screen in days. Meanwhile, TomTom is showing the speed in my neighborhood at 55MPH. 🤔😡 TomTom, Garmin, and other companies that might still be using waterfall product development need to stop hiding behind "legalities and liabilities."
I agree. Google and Waze have a massive advantage with a huge user base and agile crowdsourcing. Google owns both and who can compete with Google? Most OEM-based GPS systems source their maps from commercial map providers such as TomTom and Here. Huge difference. That's one of the reasons Google and Waze are generally considered the best nav apps and why we all should be using them rather than the OEM nav. If they ever add custom routing, which I believe they may, no other nav apps will be able to compete.

Auto manufacturers still offer built-in GPS systems as a carryover from years ago before smartphone nav apps became popular. It was nice to have the nav system built-in rather than having to mount a discreet GPS or a smartphone on your dash. Other than the convenience of an integrated system, there really isn't as much sense to get this option anymore because Andriod Auto and CarPlay now allow you to display and operate select smartphone apps on the vehicle's screen. Once wireless Andriod Auto and CarPlay become more available, there will be even less reason to get the OEM GPS option.

If auto manufacturers wanted to offer a competitive integrated GPS, they would use the Android Automotive OS (not to be confused with Android Auto) for their Infotainment systems. This would give them the native ability to run smartphone apps without needing Andriod Auto or CarPlay and a smartphone connection. Stellantis is doing just that. UConnect 5 is built upon the Android Automotive OS rather than the bespoke style OS in previous versions. This is a huge step in the right direction.

For us UConnect 4 users, we should use Andriod Auto and CarPlay for nav even though you have to inconveniently plug in your smartphone. If you still want to use the integrated GPS, at least wait for the map updates to go on sale. Most updates only contain relatively minor changes such as corrections and newer roads. The previous map will still be mostly relevant. Perhaps just get every other update. $150 is too much to pay for minor changes every year. Use Andriod Auto/CarPlay along with compatible well-rated smartphone apps for any serious navigation.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I'm doing the map update right now and it will be interesting to see if it at least adds our new subdivision. We have been in this house for over 3 years now and it is just now starting to show on some map systems. iPhone users can find our house just fine but everyone else is absolutely lost, especially Fedex and Pizza Hut.

I had an RB1 head unit that came with the 2007 disc, I purchased the 2009 and then the 2013 and not a single thing updated that was ever relevent to me.

So far the update has been easy enough but it aborted the Software update the first time with no faults, errors or reasons given. I assumed it was because I had a 256GB usb drive in port 3 with all my audio files so I removed it and everything ran through as the instructions indicated.

A second note is that after it finished the software update and appeared to be back to normal function, it began to flash update notices on the lower left side of the screen as it continued to add in and instal more modules and files. I had removed the USB at that point but it didn't seem to mind.

Update: The map update installer finished and so far I can't tell any differences at all. Our house is still not on the map but I was surprised to see that the system remembered all my existing waypoints and saved addresses. I'm home for 3 days before I hit the road again so I won't really get to see what changes it made.

Last edited:

Biesty

Reaction score
I agree. Google and Waze have a massive advantage with a huge user base and agile crowdsourcing. Google owns both and who can compete with Google? Most OEM-based GPS systems source their maps from commercial map providers such as TomTom and Here. Huge difference. That's one of the reasons Google and Waze are generally considered the best nav apps and why we all should be using them rather than the OEM nav. If they ever add custom routing, which I believe they may, no other nav apps will be able to compete.

Auto manufacturers still offer built-in GPS systems as a carryover from years ago before smartphone nav apps became popular. It was nice to have the nav system built-in rather than having to mount a discreet GPS or a smartphone on your dash. Other than the convenience of an integrated system, there really isn't as much sense to get this option anymore because Andriod Auto and CarPlay now allow you to display and operate select smartphone apps on the vehicle's screen. Once wireless Andriod Auto and CarPlay become more available, there will be even less reason to get the OEM GPS option.

If auto manufacturers wanted to offer a competitive integrated GPS, they would use the Android Automotive OS (not to be confused with Android Auto) for their Infotainment systems. This would give them the native ability to run smartphone apps without needing Andriod Auto or CarPlay and a smartphone connection. Stellantis is doing just that. UConnect 5 is built upon the Android Automotive OS rather than the bespoke style OS in previous versions. This is a huge step in the right direction.

For us UConnect 4 users, we should use Andriod Auto and CarPlay for nav even though you have to inconveniently plug in your smartphone. If you still want to use the integrated GPS, at least wait for the map updates to go on sale. Most updates only contain relatively minor changes such as corrections and newer roads. The previous map will still be mostly relevant. Perhaps just get every other update. $150 is too much to pay for minor changes every year. Use Andriod Auto/CarPlay along with compatible well-rated smartphone apps for any serious navigation.
Although I agree regarding using Google Maps, Waze, ... there is still a reason to have an onboard GPS. If you're spending any time out of cell range you will be glad you have the onboard GPS if needed. With a 4x4 I'd think the likelihood of that is higher than most other vehicles. Now a Garmin or Tom Tom could serve that purpose, but I sure like a 12" screen to view my map.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Although I agree regarding using Google Maps, Waze, ... there is still a reason to have an onboard GPS. If you're spending any time out of cell range you will be glad you have the onboard GPS if needed. With a 4x4 I'd think the likelihood of that is higher than most other vehicles. Now a Garmin or Tom Tom could serve that purpose, but I sure like a 12" screen to view my map.
Google Maps allows you to download offline maps for the region(s) you're interested in, so it still can work well with no cell service. However, you may lose other information such as traffic when offline whereas an onboard GPS may continue to receive this info via satellite or FM radio sources with their internal receivers. The RAM integrated GPS appears to use XM whereas Garmin uses FM broadcasts. The newer Garmins can also use Bluetooth to connect with an app on your smartphone to get traffic via the internet as the smartphone apps do.

Integrated and discreet GPS devices such as Garmin and TomTom do indeed still have their place. All nav apps and devices have their pros and cons. Some have better visual displays such as the Garmins while others have better value-add services such as Waze's police and hazard reporting. Although some are better than others at specific things, in actuality, they're all amazing modern-day miracles.

It's hard to imagine a time not that long ago when we all relied on a Rand McNally road atlas or other paper maps. I remember pre-plotting out long multi-state road routes on such maps with a yellow marker and a ruler to figure out the mileage and creating turn-by-turn directions on paper. Then you had to keep a close watch for the routing manually. If you missed a turn you were in trouble.

We're all so spoiled now with GPS that we often take it for granted.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I moved from rural Alberta, Canada to Charleston, SC, USA and I don't think I would have survived if it wasn't for GPS.
I bought one of the RB1 Head units and swapped it through 3 different trucks over 10 years before I retired it.
Navigation is simple up North and the only GPS units we had were the Garmin Rhino's for sledding in the backcountry and mountains.
The Rhino was great because if you got seperated, they sent your location and tracks to all other users evry time you key up the mic.

I'm back on the road this week and so far the only differences I've noticed with my updated map service is a lighter wallet and now it's only takes two steps to cancel a destination instead of three. Now, I won't diminsish that subtle change since I was always frustrated at trying to stab at the screen to cancel my navigation while driving so the elimation of one little step is actually quite valuable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online