5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation sucks

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fwiw, I believe the USB stick has to be formatted to FAT32. That was the note I made after trying it with exFAT and it didn’t work.

cliffsta

Reaction score
192E36CD-AB57-4980-B404-B0667F4115B1.png
Well being as my truck wasn’t built until December, I would imagine it already has 2022.09 loaded so I’m good for now.

Also for RAM it says use FAT32 if anybody is looking to do this.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well being as my truck wasn’t built until December, I would imagine it already has 2022.09 loaded so I’m good for now.

Also for RAM it says use FAT32 if anybody is looking to do this.
My truck was built in March 2022. It's maps were from 2020. It also was running 2 versions out of day of uConnect.
I'm pretty sure they don't flash\update anything when the truck is built, just whatever happens to be on the part that gets installed.
Fwiw, I believe the USB stick has to be formatted to FAT32. That was the note I made after trying it with exFAT and it didn’t work.
FAT32 didn't work for me. I also tried exFat originally which should work if Fat32 does.
I did find it very weird it has to be NTFS for me, which is customarily a Windows format, not Android which the head unit runs.
It's also possible it had something to do with the size of the USB drive also. I believe I used my 128GB one

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Or if your phone sucks.
My Samsung Note 3 would reboot randomly (great phone besides that, I even had a 10k MAH battery in it).
Image driving through Boston or any major city and your GPS dying on you for a few minutes....

Been there, I had an ancient LG V20 forever, worked great except it would sometimes suck in Android Auto. After it not working again and having to resort to the factory NAV and getting sent on a trip to the center of the Earth, I gave in and bought a brand new flagship cellphone, my Samsung S22 Ultra. Night and day of course, and worth the expense so I didn't have to use the factory NAV again.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My truck was built in March 2022. It's maps were from 2020. It also was running 2 versions out of day of uConnect.
I'm pretty sure they don't flash\update anything when the truck is built, just whatever happens to be on the part that gets installed.

FAT32 didn't work for me. I also tried exFat originally which should work if Fat32 does.
I did find it very weird it has to be NTFS for me, which is customarily a Windows format, not Android which the head unit runs.
It's also possible it had something to do with the size of the USB drive also. I believe I used my 128GB one

Versions of Win10 for probably the past year or 2 have had some serious flaws in their file system formatting/mounts for USB.

Up until Q1 23 I was unable to see the contents of a bootable USB (once burned) that was created using a special utility for a proprietary IBM OS that had always worked before - and still worked with WIN7. After creating this bootable USB, I subsequently copy patch images (ISO/UDF/BIN files) to it as well and couldn't do it without lighting up a WIN7 VM. They finally fixed it Q1.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use Google maps also. You can even hit the voice command button on the steering wheel and speak your destination and Google routes you.
After hearing all this I'm glad I didn't get the factory nav!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use Google maps also. You can even hit the voice command button on the steering wheel and speak your destination and Google routes you.
Just because you have the factory Nav doesn't mean you have to use it. And having the option on the truck will increase resale value

cliffsta

Reaction score
I personally like the factory navigation, especially since I have the digital cluster. Very handy to have the map right in front of me.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This thread is on UC4. 2022s and above have UC5.

On my UC5 if I talk to my truck and say "give me directions to Market Basket in Hudson" it comes right up on the screen and tells me what it had and if I want to navigate to it (or I can hit it on the screen).
I believe there is a keyboard like "hey Ram" or something to trigger it to listen to you without hitting the key also.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally like the factory navigation, especially since I have the digital cluster. Very handy to have the map right in front of me.
Me too. I usually have to use address input vs POI, though. I much prefer the full screen dark theme to Google maps, but occasionally it won't find even an address and I'll have to use Google maps, but leave the screen on factory nav.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/