5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NAV upgrade via dealer?

bmoney5813

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was curious to Know if anyone has added Nav to an 8.4 Non Nav radio after the fact. The 4th gen Rams were able to do this so I don’t see why the 5th gens couldn’t. In most cases, the dealer would charge around 400 and change the software, just didn’t know if it is that easy on the new trucks.

SB

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have heard of 4th gen also doing this but I dont see why the 5th gen couldn't. Technically if you wanted to add the 12in screen to you could add that if you wanted to pay a few bucks lol

RT70808

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was curious to Know if anyone has added Nav to an 8.4 Non Nav radio after the fact. The 4th gen Rams were able to do this so I don’t see why the 5th gens couldn’t. In most cases, the dealer would charge around 400 and change the software, just didn’t know if it is that easy on the new trucks.

SB
I had a former coworker get the activation code for a 16’ Grand Cherokee, he bought it online and t was cheaper than the dealer.

bmoney5813

Reaction score
I like the CarPlay Nav app fine. Just more curious of the options available with these new radios. Thanks for the replies!

banditsc

Reaction score
I believe you loose some of the online/connected features if you don't get NAV from the factory.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It appears that is no longer the case with these radios. It either has nav or it doesn't. You can't add it later. I was very disappointed to find out. Wanted to add it to mine.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It appears that is no longer the case with these radios. It either has nav or it doesn't. You can't add it later. I was very disappointed to find out. Wanted to add it to mine.

This is correct, I have been heard it's not possible to add NAV after the fact with the new generation UConnect radios.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The radios in the 19 ram are the same as the 18 Pacifica. They went to a separate screen with a LVDS cable connecting the actual “brain” you can replace the “brain” with a nav one and it will work. They are plug in and no programming so it’s a upgrade that you can do yourself. The only thing is you’ll have to get a unit from a ram as the firmware will have to be equivalent to what the 19 ram ships with or it won’t program when plugged in correctly.

I understand the comment of liking CarPlay/android auto. The issue comes with those that may have a lot of communication while driving. When on a call or text the maps are gone. So you either have to have a second phone or not talk while using he nav. Having a built in nav is really nice for those that use or rely on it a lot.

bmoney5813

Reaction score
The radios in the 19 ram are the same as the 18 Pacifica. They went to a separate screen with a LVDS cable connecting the actual “brain” you can replace the “brain” with a nav one and it will work. They are plug in and no programming so it’s a upgrade that you can do yourself. The only thing is you’ll have to get a unit from a ram as the firmware will have to be equivalent to what the 19 ram ships with or it won’t program when plugged in correctly.

I understand the comment of liking CarPlay/android auto. The issue comes with those that may have a lot of communication while driving. When on a call or text the maps are gone. So you either have to have a second phone or not talk while using he nav. Having a built in nav is really nice for those that use or rely on it a lot.
Thanks for the info!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That was my reason for wanting it. Also my cell service is spotty at times and having a separate unit from my cell phone would be beneficial. Although the maps do stay up while I am on the phone, but it has to already be programmed to a destination and loaded.

I most likely will swap it out at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread