5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nav System Sucks

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I can confirm that the new UC5 Tom-Tom nav works way better with normal requests after stating “Navigate” then say address & town(if needed). Did it this weekend on a drive to the in-laws and worked perfectly. Also wireless CarPlay (don’t have an android) works great and Waze will give cautions/warning in the background without even opening the app. Also we finally get full screen AA/CarPlay.

LV426

Reaction score
Just something else to add, I wonder what's going to happen when eventually (and it will) the radios become out of sync with the updates within Android/Android auto, etc... Anyone who pays attention to this will know that just about every week updates are pushed to our phones for all those apps (Waze, Google, etc..), eventually one will cause an issue, guaranteed. I already had an issue with Waze about two months ago where it kept on constantly zooming in and out all crazy... Uninstalled, went back to Google maps for a while, now back to Waze and its fine.

Anyway, everyone who relies so heavily on the phones Nav will be in for a surprise if it breaks... It's another reason why I wish the Factory Nav & radio was better supported/updated.

ram813ltd

Reaction score
gm just sent me a letter for update $99. they do that quite often on their website. guess they didn't read i drive a RAM now

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe it's a NY/NJ thing. Somebody having a laugh at our expense. Takes me off the Brooklyn Queens Expressway and puts me on local streets, fortunately I know better in this case.
Update - talked to another Ram owner and it did it to him in Maine.

netshadoe

Reaction score
Just something else to add, I wonder what's going to happen when eventually (and it will) the radios become out of sync with the updates within Android/Android auto, etc... Anyone who pays attention to this will know that just about every week updates are pushed to our phones for all those apps (Waze, Google, etc..), eventually one will cause an issue, guaranteed. I already had an issue with Waze about two months ago where it kept on constantly zooming in and out all crazy... Uninstalled, went back to Google maps for a while, now back to Waze and its fine.

Anyway, everyone who relies so heavily on the phones Nav will be in for a surprise if it breaks... It's another reason why I wish the Factory Nav & radio was better supported/updated.
Sorry, that argument doesn’t hold water. CarPlay and AA doesn’t work that way. Your radio is just a vessel to project both CarPlay and AA on your screen.

CarPlay and AA are essentially apps on either Apple (carPllay) or Android (AA) phones that act as a projector application to the head unit. Your head unit does not do any of the thinking…it is just used as the projector for these apps.

The programming in your head unit is very basic in the way is picks up CarPlay or AA and will most likely never change since all it’s looking for is an ‘information feed’ from these apps to display a video (GPS maps, album art, etc) or a sound (music apps, voice nav, etc).

All the work is done by the app, be it Waze, Google Maps, Spotify, etc. If there are any updates, it is internal to the apps on the phones. CarPlay or AA are usually updated with OS releases. It’s up to Waze, Goggle Maps, etc to update to work with those OS versions. The head unit could care less as it’s only projecting the info sent by either the CarPlay App or the Android Auto app.

My 7 year old 2015 Honda Civic has CarPlay and has never missed a beat, and has never been updated (no over the air updates back then).

LV426

Reaction score
I realize that may have applied to older radios however, the 12" Uconnect is not the same type of unit as a seven year old Honda. I believe they are more reliant on each other now than most people think. I guess we'll see....

From a recent Digital Trends article regarding Android Auto:

"Even though your vehicle doesn’t have much to do with Android Auto updates, it will still need regular maintenance in order to run the latest software or firmware necessary for these platforms. Many times, this means installing over-the-air (OTA) updates from your vehicle’s manufacturer when they are sent out. If you’re not a fan of dealing with these types of technical updates and processes, we advise taking your vehicle to the dealership. One of the technicians can help you by ensuring your infotainment system is working correctly and operating at optimal capacity."

Remember when Uconnect pushed a bad OTA in 2018? That's what happens with poor support.

"It’s not just the radio that these customers have lost access to. Uconnect also includes controls for heat and A/C, heated seats and steering wheels, rear-view cameras, and is needed to power things like the vehicle’s voice assistant and even the “SOS” feature. Even with redundant physical buttons — which are becoming rare in a screen-first world — not all of these controls will be available until FCA issues a fix."

Last edited:

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I realize that may have applied to older radios however, the 12" Uconnect is not the same type of unit as a seven year old Honda. I believe they are more reliant on each other now than most people think. I guess we'll see....

From a recent Digital Trends article regarding Android Auto:

"Even though your vehicle doesn’t have much to do with Android Auto updates, it will still need regular maintenance in order to run the latest software or firmware necessary for these platforms. Many times, this means installing over-the-air (OTA) updates from your vehicle’s manufacturer when they are sent out. If you’re not a fan of dealing with these types of technical updates and processes, we advise taking your vehicle to the dealership. One of the technicians can help you by ensuring your infotainment system is working correctly and operating at optimal capacity."

Remember when Uconnect pushed a bad OTA in 2018? That's what happens with poor support.

"It’s not just the radio that these customers have lost access to. Uconnect also includes controls for heat and A/C, heated seats and steering wheels, rear-view cameras, and is needed to power things like the vehicle’s voice assistant and even the “SOS” feature. Even with redundant physical buttons — which are becoming rare in a screen-first world — not all of these controls will be available until FCA issues a fix."
3 years with the 12” and 3 different iOS versions with my ‘19, not once was there an issue. I even ran beta iOS versions with no issues. Your quote will be an extremely rare occurrence if ever at all. They say that just to cover their rich a$$ to prevent law suits if there ever was an issue.

Now that being said, I say that for the UC4 versions. I can’t speak completely for the new UC5 version as it runs more off an android software, only time will tell for it. I can say I love the UC5 over the old software and capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread