5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Park Overlanding - CA | AZ

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Off-Roading & Overlanding - I've never really had the opportunity, but I have a road trip coming up in a month or two traveling from NorCal to Flagstaff, passing this variety of National Parks along the way. Anyone with suggestions on which of two of these parks to take a short overland trail in to see some real, off-grid nature and camp for a night?

I Imagine I'l have 2-3 days max to camp along the route, I wouldn't mind changing it up daily, likely on the route back from Flagstaff. I'll definitely be stopping at the Grand Canyon for a photo op though!

• Yosemite NP
  • Sierra NF
  • Sequoia NF
  • Mojave NPreserve
  • Joshua Tree NP (a bit out of the way, but I ear it's amazing)
  • Prescott NF
  • Coconino NF
  • Grand Canyon NP

thorsten

Reaction score
Are you able to do the Mojave Road? That would be worth your time for sure. If you are coming down California via highway 395, look into trails around Mammoth Lakes or Alabama Hills.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you able to do the Mojave Road?

I haven't mapped it out, but will, thanks!

I'm hunting for a small camp trailer (RPod or similar) to rent for the week perhaps; still talking the Mrs. into it if we want to tent or trailer camp - depends on how many days and how far into the trail we think we can get. etc.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sandbaja

Reaction score
Anza Borrego desert area has many trails. There is a hot springs near there at the base of the mountain range. Caliente something... Make sure it's not too hot before going as the temps are already over 100 some days.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anza Borrego desert area has many trails. There is a hot springs near there at the base of the mountain range. Caliente something...
it'll be late July, i might have to skip the hot springs haha; good tip! I definitely want to find some bodies of water along the route, maybe an inflatable kayak in the rig if we get the chance to go for a float

Users who are viewing this thread