5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my truck is throwing DTC code U0645 - What is this and can I fix this myself?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got my truck back from dealership last week where they replaced a cracked exhaust manifold and cracked cylinder head. I scanned my truck and the code U0645 is coming up. From what I have found in my search this is a bad oxygen sensor. Is this true and is this a "plug-n-play" fix i can do myself?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lost communication with active air dam module. Probably from when it was disconnected when the work was done. What prompted you to scan for faults, was there a check engine light? If not, just clear the fault- that fault doesn’t request a MIL until the second consecutive trip with an actual failure of a circuit in that module.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As soon as I drove my truck off the lot from dealership the check engine light came on and I immediately drove it back to service desk. Mechanic said my active air damn was causing the check engine light to come on so he disconnected it and they ordered me a new one. Said they would call me when part comes in. My truck actually throws 2 DTCs- U11E9 & U0645 .
Isn't the U11E9 my air damn and the U0645 oxygen sensor? My check engine light has come on twice since I got it back from dealership . it is currently off but the DTCs concern me as I am nearing the end of my warranty and I would prefer to have anything and everything fixable under the warranty completed before it becomes my responsibility and my $ to have to fix things.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As soon as I drove my truck off the lot from dealership the check engine light came on and I immediately drove it back to service desk. Mechanic said my active air damn was causing the check engine light to come on so he disconnected it and they ordered me a new one. Said they would call me when part comes in. My truck actually throws 2 DTCs- U11E9 & U0645 .
Isn't the U11E9 my air damn and the U0645 oxygen sensor? My check engine light has come on twice since I got it back from dealership . it is currently off but the DTCs concern me as I am nearing the end of my warranty and I would prefer to have anything and everything fixable under the warranty completed before it becomes my responsibility and my $ to have to fix things.
Those are both communication faults, with the U11E9 being the active grill shutters. The U11E9 is specific to the LIN bus circuit for the AGS, so I would start by checking that circuit, as it is shared with the air dam module.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Disconnecting the active air dam does not throw a code. It's probably the active grille shutters.

U

User_110637

Hi,
I have 11e9 and u0645. What did you do for a fix? Your help would be appreciated.
Ray

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Try disconnecting your AAD. Mine threw an AGS code, but it’s actually the AAD. They are both on the same circuit.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have 11e9 and u0645. What did you do for a fix? Your help would be appreciated.
Ray
It's helpful if you post the details of your truck when asking for help with an issue. It seems that people with '22 models have seen trouble codes when they unplug their AAD, where '19 thru '21 models don't seem to do that.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's helpful if you post the details of your truck when asking for help with an issue. It seems that people with '22 models have seen trouble codes when they unplug their AAD, where '19 thru '21 models don't seem to do that.
I didn’t know that changed.

U

User_110637

Hi,
Ray
It is a all new 2019 Ram , 5.7 hemi. I disconnected the lower bumper air dam and service engine light does not return and the grill shutters work now. Does that mean replacing the lower air dam will be the fix?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It is an all new 2019 Ram , 5.7 hemi. I disconnected the lower bumper air dam and service engine light does not return and the grill shutters work now. Does that mean replacing the lower air dam will be the fix?
More than likely, yes. Most people just ditch it since it doesn’t really help anyway. Might save 1/2 a mpg at 60mph+ if that.

I actually had someone follow me in my truck so I could see if it was deploying, and it was not. It deploys around ~30mph.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's likely that would fix your problem. I'm pretty sure there's a service bulletin about this, and extended warranty coverage for some 2019 models. There are other threads on this, and at least one of those has the TSB number. But the easiest thing to do is unplug or just remove it entirely. I never noticed any real difference in fuel economy after removing them.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's likely that would fix your problem. I'm pretty sure there's a service bulletin about this, and extended warranty coverage for some 2019 models. There are other threads on this, and at least one of those has the TSB number. But the easiest thing to do is unplug or just remove it entirely. I never noticed any real difference in fuel economy after removing them.
That's true, there is a recall for the AAD. I completely forgot about that. So if you really want it fixed it shouldn't cost anything.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's true, there is a recall for the AAD. I completely forgot about that. So if you really want it fixed it shouldn't cost anything.
If I had more time I'd search for it. Shouldn't be too difficult to find if someone has some time.

SaltyAzGrunt

Reaction score
I have the same issue due to installing an offroad bumper. If you get any updates can you let me know?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi,
Ray
both codes are related to an issue with the active air dam. when i had my truck serviced , replacing a cracked cylinder head, they disconnected the active air damn and must have damaged it because they had to order me a new one and it took 6 months for it to come in from back order. for those 6 month i was unable to use the "remote start feature" because when the active air damn is disconnected the truck throws codes 11e9 and u0645. once the new AAD was installed the issue was fixed. I've had so many problems with this truck from the first 100 miles - 50K miles. If the market wasn't as ridiculous as it is right now I would have ditched my 2019 Dodge "Sheep" months ago.

Charon

Reaction score
Any chance you know where they disconnected it?
I had leaky exhaust manifolds replaced at the dealer now I have the same issue.
I'm going on a long distance trip that could knock me out of warranty mileage...

Users who are viewing this thread