5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My truck is crooked

RebelRich

Reaction score
Hi, All

so I have a 2019 Ram Rebel “none air ride”
My truck is off by 1/2 on the rear. When I measure from the top of the tire to the finder I’m at 7.5” on the drivers side and 8.25 on the passenger side. When I measured from the ground to the top of the shock mount both sides are at 31”. The rear axle to the ground both measured the same...... so I measure the coil bucket that’s attached to the frame one side is 3” and the other is 2.5”
I have owned this truck for a year bought it new and have for some reason just noticed this.

I’m no mechanic and not sure about my conclusion but does that me the bucket wielded to the Frame is either bent or attachment from the factory in the wrong spot?

any input would be helpful

thanks

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get on flat area, seriously any grade or other you can still——measure from center of hub(center cap) to fender. Both sides should be close

RebelRich

Reaction score
Get on flat area, seriously any grade or other you can still——measure from center of hub(center cap) to fender. Both sides should be close

That’s a good idea. I’ll take it to a flat parking lot tomorrow. Here are the pictures from my driveway.

Attachments

• 94CA5869-9BC8-4C28-BCED-E3FFDA87DF43.jpeg
    94CA5869-9BC8-4C28-BCED-E3FFDA87DF43.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 08E62A1A-9900-4ADE-9E07-E77E464B6787.jpeg
    08E62A1A-9900-4ADE-9E07-E77E464B6787.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 15465E1F-4A2E-48E2-96E5-9A48B01052DE.jpeg
    15465E1F-4A2E-48E2-96E5-9A48B01052DE.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 9869AAE5-A6D0-46DA-8FB9-989420902CD5.jpeg
    9869AAE5-A6D0-46DA-8FB9-989420902CD5.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 126

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've measured every single vehicle I've owned and every single one was lower on the driver's side. The weight is higher on the driver's side, it will sag more than the passenger side assuming the springs are exactly the same tension. I believe when I measured my Rebel, it was about 1/2 in lower on the driver's side.

I recommend you check out the other vehicles you have and the trucks on the lot, they should all be lower on the driver's side.

My buddy races SCCA class and they use coil overs so they can adjust the ride height on each corner to compensate for the weight differences along with the weight of the driver.

Last edited:

RebelRich

Reaction score
I've measured every single vehicle I've owned and every single one was lower on the driver's side. The weight is higher on the driver's side, it will sag more than the passenger side assuming the springs are exactly the same tension. I believe when I measured my Rebel, it was about 1/2 in lower on the driver's side.

I recommend you check out the other vehicles you have and the trucks as the lot, they should all be lower on the driver's side.

My buddy races SCCA class and they use coil overs so they can adjust the ride height on each corner to compensate for the weight differences along with the weight of the driver.
You know what That’s a good idea. I’m going to do that. I’ll go measure the ones on the lot. If they are similar I’ll let it go . Thanks for the input.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You know what That’s a good idea. I’m going to do that. I’ll go measure the ones on the lot. If they are similar I’ll let it go . Thanks for the input.

Absolutely, new trucks may show less of a difference than ones driven a few thousand miles, but even "fresh" trucks on lots are a few months old and the springs should have settled by then. It's easier to notice the difference on cars due to the smaller gaps on the wheel wells, 1/2 an inch is way more noticeably when you only have a few inches of gap.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely, new trucks may show less of a difference than ones driven a few thousand miles, but even "fresh" trucks on lots are a few months old and the springs should have settled by then. It's easier to notice the difference on cars due to the smaller gaps on the wheel wells, 1/2 an inch is way more noticeably when you only have a few inches of gap.
Nope. This should not be a "given". I had a 12 year old truck with 12 year old springs. That thing sat exactly level from the day I got it to the day I sold it. I'm going through the same thing with my truck trying to get the rear level. Got a thread on it where I'm systematically going through all the things in the suspension to find the culprit. I've asked several friends that have Rams, 2 of them 2019's, and their trucks are all level. "More weight on the driver's side" you mean the gas tank? Which holds less than 170 pounds of gas (26 gal tank)? So you're telling me the suspension dropping over 1/2" is normal at 164 pounds of weight that's not even centered over the spring?

I know there are a ton of possibilities that can cause the body to be off, but it shouldn't just be accepted as normal.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Nope. This should not be a "given". I had a 12 year old truck with 12 year old springs. That thing sat exactly level from the day I got it to the day I sold it. I'm going through the same thing with my truck trying to get the rear level. Got a thread on it where I'm systematically going through all the things in the suspension to find the culprit. I've asked several friends that have Rams, 2 of them 2019's, and their trucks are all level. "More weight on the driver's side" you mean the gas tank? Which holds less than 170 pounds of gas (26 gal tank)? So you're telling me the suspension dropping over 1/2" is normal at 164 pounds of weight that's not even centered over the spring?

I know there are a ton of possibilities that can cause the body to be off, but it shouldn't just be accepted as normal.

I'm generalizing based on my experience (and most people I know), so maybe I'm wrong. However, this is my first RAM and its indeed 1/2" off on the driver's side. So was my F150, so is my Jeep and Lexus. So has 10 other vehicles I've ever owned, they all listed on the driver's side. I have never personally measured a vehicle that was perfectly leveled unless it had coil overs and leveled on purpose, like a track car.

Then there is the variables of how you measured it. The center of the wheel well to the top of the tire is not always accurate, is the body itself level on the frame? Measuring from the bottom of the frame rail to a level surface is the most accurate.

Unless the vehicle weight is perfectly distributed, there is no way with equal tension springs will a vehicle sit perfectly level. However it seems reasonable the OP may have other issues beyond this.

Last edited:

ironking

Reaction score
Lol you’re worried about .5”? Yes, there is more weight in the driver side. Think gas tank, battery, etc. You’re fine. Stop worrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RebelRich

Reaction score

Ya I’m going to the dealer tomorrow to talk to them. It really bugs me it’s all I see when I look at the truck. I know most people would probably not notice but drives me nuts. Originally it was the whole side of the truck that was off. But when I had the new lift installed last week they leveled up the front with the new adjustable strut . But itS still sags in the rear. I had the FabTech 3” install by 4wheelparts . The rear replaced the shocks but retained the stock coils with the addition of a spacer. Like I said originally I noticed the truck was off at the time I did take it to the deal and they said it was fine. I did not push it because I knew I was lifting it and assumed it would take care of the issue. And it did fix the front. I’ll post again after the dealer visit tomorrow

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Ya I’m going to the dealer tomorrow to talk to them. It really bugs me it’s all I see when I look at the truck. I know most people would probably not notice but drives me nuts. Originally it was the whole side of the truck that was off. But when I had the new lift installed last week they leveled up the front with the new adjustable strut . But itS still sags in the rear. I had the FabTech 3” install by 4wheelparts . The rear replaced the shocks but retained the stock coils with the addition of a spacer. Like I said originally I noticed the truck was off at the time I did take it to the deal and they said it was fine. I did not push it because I knew I was lifting it and assumed it would take care of the issue. And it did fix the front. I’ll post again after the dealer visit tomorrow

When you say adjustable strut, I'm assuming you mean a coil-over? If so, that makes sense, with adjustable front struts you can set ride height individually by adjusting the preload. The rear with stock springs you cannot compensate for the weight difference unless you add a larger spacer on the driver's side or stiffer spring.

Let us know what you find out at the dealership, if you can, make sure to measure some used trucks which have had time for the springs to settle more.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I wouldn’t expect your dealer to do anything about this on a completely stock vehicle. Now that you have installed a lift kit there is almost zero chance they do anything

jhoran

Reaction score
Hi, All

so I have a 2019 Ram Rebel “none air ride”
My truck is off by 1/2 on the rear. When I measure from the top of the tire to the finder I’m at 7.5” on the drivers side and 8.25 on the passenger side. When I measured from the ground to the top of the shock mount both sides are at 31”. The rear axle to the ground both measured the same...... so I measure the coil bucket that’s attached to the frame one side is 3” and the other is 2.5”
I have owned this truck for a year bought it new and have for some reason just noticed this.

I’m no mechanic and not sure about my conclusion but does that me the bucket wielded to the Frame is either bent or attachment from the factory in the wrong spot?

any input would be helpful

thanks
I have a 2020 Rebel and I noticed the same thing. It’s 1/2in lower on the drivers side.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Measure it will a full tank of gas, then measure again when empty. Be sure you're parking in the exact same spot when measuring

Scram1500

Reaction score
Another theory that's been bouncing around in my head is that the height difference is to compensate for positive torque which causes the truck to lean to the passenger side. We aren't measuring height while cruising down the road, the possibilty exists that the truck is level when driving. My dad and I used to ride on the left side of our boat to keep it level as the prop at cruising would lean the boat over to the right

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it just the Rebels having this issue? Anyone without the rebel package having this issue? Maybe it is something specific to the rebel package causing this issue. I've never noticed it on my truck, not sure if I would even notice if it was off .5", I will check it out.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it just the Rebels having this issue? Anyone without the rebel package having this issue? Maybe it is something specific to the rebel package causing this issue. I've never noticed it on my truck, not sure if I would even notice if it was off .5", I will check it out.
my 4th gen big horn was a little croocked too. i was always looking at it funny when id walk up to it in parking lots etc. its really hard to notice unless you stare at your truck everyday like i do. my current rebel isnt 100% symmetrical either, but is there seriously anything out there that is that's mass produced? like others said, part of it is the additional weight on the drivers side. i wouldnt worry too much. if it was really an issue, im sure you'd feel it pulling when driving

SD Rebel

Reaction score
This whole thread is a face palm
emoji2357.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried.

Users who are viewing this thread