5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My truck has been a nightmare! I don't think I can get myself to buy another Ram product again.

Rocker1500

Reaction score
1. Rear window/brake leak
1b. Rear speaker cutout
2. Active Tuned Mass issue
3. Tick before warmed up
4. Sudden (?) large mileage loss

And a bad dealer.

The bad dealer issue is the icing on the cake. It sets the mood and infuses every bite. ;)

Number 1 should have been a goodwill repair. There is a class-action lawsuit underway. Stay informed on it. Keep all your paperwork on repairs, write a note about anything else you've suffered (time, lost opportunity, other expense) due to the rear window leak. A lawsuit is may or may not set you right.

1b. Yeah, odd. Maybe some other water damage? Pull the speakers and inspect them. Include that in the notes about the window leak.

I'm getting my window replaced (19,000 miles). Once it's home, I'll be using Permatex flowable silicone window sealant like a mofo around it. Belts and suspenders... I don't want to go through this again.

2. Sounds like road damage. That's on you. Soldering is a great solution for broken wires.

3. Tick: classic exhaust manifold (if it's the one that goes away after warmup). That was covered. So, bad design, but you're repaired, right?

4. Yeah, that NEEDS some investigating. Something is wrong when an engine starts consuming double the fuel it used to. It should be covered under your powertrain. Get on it. Get noisy, contact RamCares. Get an invoice written up on it. Paperwork is proof. Document your concern, the mileage, the date, and what the dealer says the issue is (or isn't). Then keep on them.

Overall, yeah, not a great experience. Number 1/1b is a crappy dealer. But, before any vehicle gets within a few thousand of a bumper-to-bumper expiring, I go over it, hard, to make sure I haven't missed something. Sucks. Contact Ramcares?

With the crappy dealer, I'd be nervous about number 4, but if you have paperwork and some support, I think you'll be set right.

TL;DR: Involve RamCares, document everything, get the Service Manager's cell phone number. Push, but don't be an a.ss.
Thanks for the super detailed response! I have the window repair bill saved on my phone, never knew there was possibly a pending class action lawsuit on it. Dealer definitely set the mood from the start. Honestly #4 is what drove me insane. In the past I would get to about 370-420 miles on a tank. I just checked my trip odometer and the fuel gage and I have driven 127 miles since last fill and am currently sitting under half a tank.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Glad to hear the truck you have isn't causing trouble! I think I just got unlucky with this truck. The dealer changed both manifolds and the bolts since both were cracked. Tick never went away or even diminished after them being replaced. I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow. Really hoping they get this sorted out.

I think my situation is more the norm, but it shouldn't diminish what you are going through, I would be livid if I was in the same boat, you shouldn't have to deal with this.

I also agree that Stellantis dealer network is generally found wanting. They have been for the last several years at or near the bottom of dealership service surveys. This is likely due to the fact Stellantis sold way more Dodges, RAMs and Jeeps these last few years than anticipated and their dealerships aren't capable of handling it. The first thing that goes is competent customer support when they are overworked.

I've had no issues that required me to go back to the dealership these last 3 plus years, but I cringe at the day I need to because I don't trust my RAM dealer to do an oil change, so much so I do them myself.

I will say, both Ford, Chevy and Toyota have much higher customer service ratings with their dealership service network. Chevy is actually close to the top. Taking my F150 to service was no issue, and I love taking my Toyota to service because they seem so caring and attentive, but I won't let my local RAM dealers touch my truck because they have shown a general lack of interest for my vehicle and time.

Rocker1500

Reaction score
Latest update to everyone, I called the dealership to make sure they put the loaner down for my service appointment tomorrow. They let me know there was no loaner put down on the appointment and that the appointment was today at 8AM therefore they've canceled the appointment. I genuinely cannot tell how this dealer is still operating. Appointment was scheduled for Thursday December 29th at 3:30 pm I have it both in my calendar and the individuals calendar who was with me when I gave the dealership a call. Apparently they don't even know how to make appointments.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the super detailed response! I have the window repair bill saved on my phone, never knew there was possibly a pending class action lawsuit on it. Dealer definitely set the mood from the start. Honestly #4 is what drove me insane. In the past I would get to about 370-420 miles on a tank. I just checked my trip odometer and the fuel gage and I have driven 127 miles since last fill and am currently sitting under half a tank.
It is winter, and most stations have switched to winter blend fuel which gets worse fuel mileage. Add in more idle time to warm up, and if it has been at dealer, who know how long it ran there

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Latest update to everyone, I called the dealership to make sure they put the loaner down for my service appointment tomorrow. They let me know there was no loaner put down on the appointment and that the appointment was today at 8AM therefore they've canceled the appointment. I genuinely cannot tell how this dealer is still operating. Appointment was scheduled for Thursday December 29th at 3:30 pm I have it both in my calendar and the individuals calendar who was with me when I gave the dealership a call. Apparently they don't even know how to make appointments.
If it makes you feel any better, I called my local dealer last week and they told me they were not accepting ANY new service appointments until mid-March. They are however quite willing to sell you a brand new vehicle, just don't plan on using the warranty!

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also agree that Stellantis dealer network is generally found wanting. They have been for the last several years at or near the bottom of dealership service surveys. This is likely due to the fact Stellantis sold way more Dodges, RAMs and Jeeps these last few years than anticipated and their dealerships aren't capable of handling it. The first thing that goes is competent customer support when they are overworked.
I don't buy into this. If you look at sales data going you will see its not the reason people think.

Chrysler Group / FCA Sales Figures – US Market

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I called my local dealer last week and they told me they were not accepting ANY new service appointments until mid-March. They are however quite willing to sell you a brand new vehicle, just don't plan on using the warranty!
Call roadside, have it towed in. They cant say no.

Reactions: c3k

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Call roadside, have it towed in. They cant say no.
It's a very minor issue, but still annoying anyway. It's not like they are giving me money back for not honoring the warranty they promised to me.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I will say, both Ford, Chevy and Toyota have much higher customer service ratings with their dealership service network. Chevy is actually close to the top.
You're on drugs if you think Chevy service is good.

I got rid of my Silverado because dealerships wouldn't fix a transfer case having problems under warranty and kept telling me things were normal. At one point I was told "every 10k miles your truck will make new different sounds".
I had corporate involved and it didn't matter.
I also had my Camaro damaged at another dealership and painted 3 times before I sold it at a loss because the dealership wouldn't accept ownership after the third botched paint job (old service manager fired or quit)
The dealership got into an accident with my 45th anniversary edition Camaro in their lot while it was sitting for 3 weeks getting the rims refinished because they sprayed a corrosive chemical removing the clearcoat on on 4 of my rims when i asked them to clean up the old weights after paying $1400 for new snow tires, to which they claimed had no idea they were painted aluminum (OEM).

The first oil change in my Silverado they charged me for a free oil change, and put the wrong oil and I had to drive it home because they closed and come back another day. 0w20 on the cap means 0w20, and they put 5w30 in.

This was across 3 different dealerships 2 times corporate was involved.

Pale Al

Reaction score
Looks like you better sell it and buy a Ford.

Good advice! That will give much needed interaction with service personnel!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You're on drugs if you think Chevy service is good.

I got rid of my Silverado because dealerships wouldn't fix a transfer case having problems under warranty and kept telling me things were normal. At one point I was told "every 10k miles your truck will make new different sounds".
I had corporate involved and it didn't matter.
I also had my Camaro damaged at another dealership and painted 3 times before I sold it at a loss because the dealership wouldn't accept ownership after the third botched paint job (old service manager fired or quit)
The dealership got into an accident with my 45th anniversary edition Camaro in their lot while it was sitting for 3 weeks getting the rims refinished because they sprayed a corrosive chemical removing the clearcoat on on 4 of my rims when i asked them to clean up the old weights after paying $1400 for new snow tires, to which they claimed had no idea they were painted aluminum (OEM).

The first oil change in my Silverado they charged me for a free oil change, and put the wrong oil and I had to drive it home because they closed and come back another day. 0w20 on the cap means 0w20, and they put 5w30 in.

This was across 3 different dealerships 2 times corporate was involved.

Sure, there are exceptions and certainly not the rule we are talking about here. They are all franchised, just some are biased more as a group in the negative and some positive, but clearly there are outliners.

However, the reviews the dealerships and manufacturers use to determine how the rank among each other does show Stellantis dealers have been near the bottom of customer service satisfaction, and I tend to agree with it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I don't buy into this. If you look at sales data going you will see its not the reason people think.

Chrysler Group / FCA Sales Figures – US Market

Not sure how this counters my argument? Drop in sales volume doesn't mean they aren't oversold to what their service centers can handle.

The big red you see is from Covid production constraints, which effected all brands. But their negative move towards the bottom of customer service ratings has been for several years.

Every service advisor I've spoken says they are slammed and that's why appointments are so far off each other, so if it isn't sales volume to the ratio of dealerships that can service them properly, what is their issues?

Last edited:

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure how this counters my argument? Drop in sales volume doesn't mean they aren't oversold to what their service centers can handle.

The big red you see is from Covid, which effected all brands.

Every service advisor I've spoken says they are slammed and that's why appointments are so far off each other, so if it isn't sales volume to the ratio of dealerships that can service them, what is it?
could also be lack of employee vs before for the exact same amount of work, ... employee are harder ton find in a bad time in some area

SD Rebel

Reaction score
could also be lack of employee vs before for the exact same amount of work, ... employee are harder ton find in a bad time in some area

Good point, but that's more recent. The fall started several years ago, right around the time of constant high sales.

I'll try to post the years breakdown, but here is a good article in 2015 which brought it up the first time the scored at the bottom. This matches up well with the sales data that shows the highest peaks of sales around 2014, 2015 and 2016.

I also want to make it clear I'm not trying to slag Stellantis/FCA, I love my RAM and can't stand the idea that people are being turned off by the brand because dealerships turn off customers by making small problems into big ones. Things that should be simple and low stress to address turn into weeks long sh*t shows that belies a great product.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Good point, but that's more recent. The fall started several years ago, right around the time of constant high sales.

I'll try to post the years breakdown, but here is a good article in 2015 which brought it up the first time the scored at the bottom. This matches up well with the sales data that shows the highest peaks of sales around 2014, 2015 and 2016.

The article you linked uses JD power as a ranking.
JD Power is a scam, anyone who gives them money gets an award.

I tried to find the same kind of article for Chevy\GM but there are so many I couldn't choose just 1 that paints a terrible picture of the brand.

All manufacturers suck. Find a dealer that is good to you, or have a large selection and go with that brand.

For the most part I had good luck with Chevy, but since all the dealerships within an hour from me are a bunch of morons and corporate has 0 power to do anything (like Ramcares).

I only threw out 2 local Ram dealerships, 1 that had no idea how to do anything on my truck "we don't sell trucks like yours", and another that told me noises were normal (air leaks).
The 3rd dealership seems to be good so far and gives me the real info not some watterd down sales person bull when I ask them for questions or get stuff done.
Instead of getting "we are booked out for weeks\months", I get a "come in whenever, it only takes 20 minutes we can squeeze you in".

I generally don't go to dealerships for anything as I do almost everything myself due to fear of people breaking my crap, but when I do go to a dealership I fully expect to be charged out the a$$, but to get a semi-proper job done.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coming out of bankruptcy almost 800 dealers were shut down as part of the restructuring.

Working in a Ram dealer I have never seen a constant wait time for getting an appointment as now. We are 3-4 weeks out. In the last 3 years we have added 8 techs and added 2 additional express techs.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The article you linked uses JD power as a ranking.
JD Power is a scam, anyone who gives them money gets an award.

I tried to find the same kind of article for Chevy\GM but there are so many I couldn't choose just 1 that paints a terrible picture of the brand.

All manufacturers suck. Find a dealer that is good to you, or have a large selection and go with that brand.

For the most part I had good luck with Chevy, but since all the dealerships within an hour from me are a bunch of morons and corporate has 0 power to do anything (like Ramcares).

I only threw out 2 local Ram dealerships, 1 that had no idea how to do anything on my truck "we don't sell trucks like yours", and another that told me noises were normal (air leaks).
The 3rd dealership seems to be good so far and gives me the real info not some watterd down sales person bull when I ask them for questions or get stuff done.
Instead of getting "we are booked out for weeks\months", I get a "come in whenever, it only takes 20 minutes we can squeeze you in".

I generally don't go to dealerships for anything as I do almost everything myself due to fear of people breaking my crap, but when I do go to a dealership I fully expect to be charged out the a$$, but to get a semi-proper job done.

I get you on JD and associates, which can be used to gain you awards like GM has done. However, there is a national survey that manufacturers use that absolutely mirrors these results, either way, FCA/Stellantis is pretty much last on just about all surveys done on service departments. This isn't just a JD and associates thing.

You can have a good dealership experience while still under warranty, which I have with Toyota and Ford. My RAM experience so far was not come close, and honestly are the first dealerships in my nearly 30 years of new car ownership that has made me prefer to DIY my own oil changes while still under warranty.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They can't say no, but it won't be pushed to front of the line for troubleshooting.
yeah but once you call it does start the out of service clock and document it regardless if they can't make time for it.

Users who are viewing this thread